• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Looking for Feed Back

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I'd like to get some feedback on used cranes.

I've got a 99 model 50 ton Grove. 110' of live stick. 32-56' swing away jib. 150 tip height capacity is around 9,000 pounds, 170' tip height capacity is around 5,000 pounds. This crane will do most of my work, but it's stretched to it's limits. We're not in the need of "heavy lifts". Our work requires height.

I'm looking for a second crane, and would like to increase capacities at the 150-200' heights. I've decided the 110' of live stick won't be sufficient. 135-140' would be better. Most cranes with that sort of live stick are rated at 90 tons. The price tag gets steeper than I can justify. The smallest crane with that much live stick I've run across is a TMS870. Most seem to be manufactured around 1996. Does anyone have any experience with these cranes?

classictruckman

Occupation
Tree Climber/339A Crane Operator
You might look at Manitex's new 50155s it has a 9000lb main boom capacity at 164' tip height, 4000lbs at 202' single piece jib tip height, it runs about $550 000 new on a normal highway truck.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Personally ..Ive run the Manitex boom trucks ..And to be honest ..a boom truck is not a replacement for a crane ..they just are not ..they cant do production ,wiggly wobbly skinny booms ..nope ..there's just no substitute for a crane ..
Boom trucks are only any good for air units ,signs ,loading a few trucks ..but ..after that your just wasting time and money trying to run it as a crane ..
They have there place ..just no comparison with a crane ..

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I've got a 25 ton boom truck. I've done a lot of work with it, but, I tend to agree. I need a crane.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hey Liebherr, you failed to give your recommendation of what crane would suit impact's needs. :D

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Hey Paul. I've been PMing with him. It's no problem fitting a crane to my needs if you have a cool million bucks.:D

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Hey Paul. I've been PMing with him. It's no problem fitting a crane to my needs if you have a cool million bucks.:D

Now theres a thought ...you ,Atco and 25c form a patrnership.. If Atco and 25c has as much money as they do brains ..your set ..:drinkup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager

boomguy

I hate to say it but i agree with liebherr, i have a 45 ton manitex (identical to the 50) and with its 96 ft out its amazing how much it rocks on its jacks so i could just imagine about the 155. i have never ran a crane so i cant compare one to the other.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
I hate to say it but i agree with liebherr, i have a 45 ton manitex (identical to the 50) and with its 96 ft out its amazing how much it rocks on its jacks so i could just imagine about the 155. i have never ran a crane so i cant compare one to the other.

What? ..you hate? ...hey listen lil' buddy ..its one thing to jack around with toy's its another to discuss real gear ..I know where yer coming from and Hate isnt a term Id use to conduct a dialogue amongst real men with real gear ...this aint toy's ..and it aint DHS..

Thanks for the input ..Im not a big fan of boom trucks..more over Im not a fan of working a boom truck like a crane ..

After the winch gets rebuilt twice and a pump gets burned off ..the office gets the hint ..

however ..I welcome you to Hef ...

Last edited:

classictruckman

Occupation

The 50 ton has a counterweight that the 45 doesn't, which may help with the rocking.

I'm not sure what liebherr1160 defines as a crane, I have only run a 17 ton Pitman, a 22 ton Manitex, Bucyrus Erie 22B, a Komatsu LC755, and our 38 ton Manitex doesn't seem to rock very much to me.

Last edited:

classictruckman

Occupation
liebherr1160 I'd like your opinion on this; I've always believe these to be the definition of cranes

Boomtrucks:

Attachments

• 77783308.jpg
    77783308.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,183
  • Picture_002.jpg
    Picture_002.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,213

boomguy

The 50 ton has a counterweight that the 45 doesn't, which may help with the rocking.

I'm not sure what liebherr1160 defines as a crane, I have only run a 17 ton Pitman, a 22 ton Manitex, Bucyrus Erie 22B, a Komatsu LC755, and our 38 ton Manitex doesn't seem to rock very much to me.

we put a 3500lb counter weight on the 45 and it didnt help. we also have a 38100 manitex and it does seem much more stable
And Liebherr it wasnt an insult, iam a boom truck lover and u seem to be a crane lover so its hard to agree with a crane lover:notworthy

cranetools

Occupation
Crane Service Engineer/Troubleshooter - Web master
Nice photos of real cranes - these are all-terrain machines capable of making many any lift you might have Impact
THe yellow Grove would more than do the job but that is new and surely more money than what you might want to spend
Have you tried looking at a used Krupp or Demag a good suggestion would be a Demag AC205 or AC80 crane. 161 ft. full power live stick. Rated in the range of 110 tons possible to purchase used at around 300-400,00 in good condition but you would need an expert ot look at you choice - a pre-purchase inspection.
check www.cranetools.com

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
classictruckman a boom truck ..thought in principal is a crane ...it isn't a crane ..

That's why they are called boom trucks and not cranes

Every other type you posted has the word crane at the end ..except boom truck ..

My earlier comment was based on industry ..no crane operator with any talent spends to much time on a boom truck before being promoted to a crane ..
In saying that ..their are guy's that have made a career out of running boom trucks ..in the world of crane rental ..its is the slickest job there .. its not a problem for a decent boom truck operator to gross in excess of a 100K per year ..Career boom truck operators dont even call their units a "crane ".

Like i said ..they do have there place ..but to put a boom truck on the same plateau as a crane ...well ...thats just wrong:( ...:drinkup