• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Logging Accidents: And They Walked Away.........

BDFT

Well, assuming he survived, I bet he's a little gun shy now. If you could even force him back in a yarder cab.

30 B

The seats on these machines need to mounted to the cab with a bottom instead of on the machine deck so the cab doesn't get drug over or through the operator sitting in the seat attached to the machine. Had an 071 that had a log pulled into the cab which pushed the control panel into the operators knees because he was firmly attached to the deck of the machine. Fortunately everything got stoped with just a few bruises. Doesn't look to good for the operator in these pictures.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
definate change of underwear lol I was told he only recieved a few stitches an bruising

apparently he was standing up in the cab when it happened and he went with it to the ground

Someone from up that way might no the full story?
this is wny I posted these pics minor injurys thank goodness. I could zoom in on the originals and it looks to me like the top of the eyes pulled off, the pins are still in the boom..as far as I'm concerned Madill screwed up on the design of the cab mount. If I remember correctly there are only half a dozen 5/8 bolts holding the cab to the floor. I have seen at least 3 where the cab pushed in at the bottom and pushed the control panels together nearly crushing the operators legs.. Most off the Madill equipment prior to the 120 124 are like this.. just sayin

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
I heard a story once about a log loader operator at Sproat Lake Division, who picked up a p!ss pole with the grapples from the top end of the tree. When he picked up on his grapples the tree slid through and came right through the front window cab guard and stuck right into his seat back. I guess he dodged sideways or else the tree would have impaled him.

furpo

I heard a story once about a log loader operator at Sproat Lake Division, who picked up a p!ss pole with the grapples from the top end of the tree. When he picked up on his grapples the tree slid through and came right through the front window cab guard and stuck right into his seat back. I guess he dodged sideways or else the tree would have impaled him.

The previous operator on my machine put the head of a tree through the front gaurd and window. He had to duck to miss it. The front window is now margaurd. I put a branch through the side window which would of hurt if it hit me.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Many moons ago, I was pulling a six foot Fir up from the bottom side with a 599 American. Had Her standing on one track when the Young grapple slipped of the Fir and grabbed a **** pole and it came flying back into the bottom of the cab when the machine sat back down, went between my feet and hit the the seat post.What do you do now? Can not let go of it or it will come up and lift me off the seat. Go ahead on the haulback and skin it out is all you have left. Left a nice neat 8" hole in the bottom of the window and lots of PU on the seat.

boardbysled

Pacific Rim Forestry out of NW Washington just lost one of their Madill 071's. Lost the brakes walking it down the logging road and it went over the edge into a clearcut, driver bailed before it went over the edge. Should have pics within the next week.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
My friend owns Hercules equip.Its always interesting to see where his trailers end up.Over the last 14 years I have built and assembled lots of stuff for Hercules.I am currently working on (3) three hundred ton fifth wheel assemblys for them......Cory

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Here are couple of recent photos of someone's bad day. I'm told the insurance company is denying part of the cost of claim saying this is a manufacturer's defect. The machine has around 15,000 hours.

Oops! I'll resize and post in a couple of minutes.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I'll try again.

Attachments

• John Deer forest unit rotex broken #1.jpg
    John Deer forest unit rotex broken #1.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 10,913
  • John Deer forest unit rotex broken #2.jpg
    John Deer forest unit rotex broken #2.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 6,569

OldandWorn

Here are couple of recent photos of someone's bad day. I'm told the insurance company is denying part of the cost of claim saying this is a manufacturer's defect. The machine has around 15,000 hours.

Now those are some tight hoses! :eek:

BDFT

I bet that trailer hit the ground hard and fast. I wouldn't have wanted to be in the cab. :eek: I ran a 300 Komatsu last winter with 18000 hours on it and you could feel the slop in the rotate bearing. The wild ride never came though.

Jim1960

Yep, you can see the road at the top of the ridgeline in one of the pictures. Rolled 3 or 4 times.

Looks like it held up fairly well. I'd like to see the salvage operation.

I remember an outfit I worked lost the tube of a Madill 056 over the hill. It was on a log truck and it couldn't make the switchback, the trailer came uncoupled and went over the hill about 600' We had to bring up another yarder and rig up a skyline setting to salvage the tube.

boardbysled

Has that 071 had an excavator undercarrage conversion done on it or is it a Terex model?

Its an 071 with a conversion I believe. This company had a few of them done; converting them from tank undercarriage. I have heard they use a Komatsu dozer undercarriage.