1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Local contractors out of hand

Discussion in 'Safety Issues' started by DMiller, May 15, 2019.

1. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    And throw a extra oxygen tank in the back and slide into a whole new set of rules and requirements.

DMiller likes this.
  2. oceanobob

oceanobob Senior Member

general contractor
    Today we did a door sticker inspection on a 4 year old GMC 1 ton diesel duallie pickup and the GVWR is 13k.
    A notable amount higher than that 11.5 number found in the definition of a pickup.

DMiller likes this.
  3. td25c

td25c Senior Member

LOL! :D

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    DMiller and RZucker like this.
  4. JAKES.

JAKES. Active Member

Last Friday here in N.H. There was a horrible mishap on the road. A dodge 3500 towing an empty tandem axle gooseneck trailer (that looked too big for tow vehicle) driven by a 23 year old with a lot of drug and DUI history(suspicion of DUI 4weeks prior) ;truck trailer swerved into oncoming lane killing 7 motorcyclists! Truck and trailer owned by the transportation company the 23 year old was employed by! WTF how can this happen ?irresponsible for any company to run that truck trailer configuration on public roads and how come a druggie has a CDL and medical card? I am sick of businesses pushing the limits of 1 ton vehichles capacities seen it a lot the past 8years or so.

5. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

Here's one of the articles covering this:

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ne...XTms5fp93jYK7fuvU9R_lUNZEV-OGNLw111RObbi6lh-I

JAKES. and DMiller like this.
  6. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Doubt there was any form of CDL, or Drugs control testing with this guy. First thoughts thru my head was as to that when read the articles. Sad. All too many DOT look around these size machines especially if not Company logo marked.

7. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

Hot shots seem to push it bad in my opinion a friend of mine right out of high school worked for one briefly it ended when the owner supposedly fixed some trailer breaks that would stick he just disconnected them and sent the guy out on his Mary way almost got him killed

As for cdls I know of at least one guy that drives a dump truck on a questionable license (a few DUI's) I guarantee you there are more people than you think driving without them at all

DMiller likes this.
  8. gtermini

gtermini Well-Known Member

Just saw this one on the toob. One comment summed it up pretty well.

DMiller likes this.
  9. wornout wrench

wornout wrench Senior Member

Retired Heavy Duty Mechanic
    Campbell River, BC, The Left Coast of Canada
    Not just the idiots with big trailers.

I had one of our local masonry contractors go screaming past me in his flat deck with the mixer behind him. I'm doing 90 K, that's 55 mph.
    When he cuts back in the mixer starts the death wobble, going back and forth, up on one wheel, then the other.

Don't know what one of those mixer weighs in at, for doing mortars or parge coatings and he had water in it, the water was slopping out when it was going up on a single wheel.

At least the dumb a$$ had enough brains to not slam on the brakes like most idiots would do.

He got it back under control and for some unknown reason, slowed right down.

Was he ever lucky it was on a road that was not very busy at the time, if there was any oncoming traffic, it might have been a different story.

JAKES. and DMiller like this.
  10. redneckracin

redneckracin Senior Member

Civil Engineer
    I love the diesel pickups that can't handle the appropriate tongue weight so the guys hauling a dozer or backhoe park them over the trailer duals. Real smart junior, real smart.

DMiller likes this.
  11. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

I wonder how much that load balanced over the trailer duals shifts onto the tongue due to inertia when heavy braking anyway.

redneckracin and DMiller like this.
  12. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Likely a LOT.

redneckracin likes this.