• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Local contractors out of hand

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
On our news services over the last few weeks there have been noted accidents with Small contractors on the highways during rush hour periods. This morning was no exception, three in an hour in the rain this morning.

In looking at these most were light pickups, one or two were 3/4 or full ton but as with this morning was a six lug half ton, pulling a Pintle Hitch bumper pull tri axle and a Mini Ex(Unidentifiable size). Both were inverted, the mini laying off the remnant of the trailer, trailer had a SINGLE axle with brakes on it(was exposed to see, the report stated the driver had locked the truck down was in a slide trailer wheels still rolling when slid off the highway. MO SHP report noted driver slightly injured, multiple citations for improper equipment and failure to satisfactorily inspect as well identify failed unsafe equipment. Small plumbing company, owner's personal truck.

Seems this is getting out of hand around here, Non CDL and yet should have proper equipment, sneaking around and or cheating requirements by using too light too small equipment.

BigWrench55

I see it here all the time in Texas. If I can see these obvious violations then I know that the local pd can to. It gets overlooked and put on the shoulders of our state troopers. Which is a unfair burden to them. The local pd should be getting these trucks off the road rather than ticketing the violators after they caused an accident with their junk. That's my two cents.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Pa has started to crack down on these super truckers. Especially if there is company lettering on the doors. I saw a 3/4 ton truck with a landscape trailer hauling weed eaters and lawn mowers and the guys in black were giving them the once over. I just wish the overloaded personal trucks would get some more attention.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I had this argument at the Nuke I worked, our company trucks, logo on the sides, carrying materials and men for working yet required NO special license(I still had my Class A). Was per interpretation of Legal that being as were less than GVW and license weight below 12,000BL not required. A Mechanic noted all the trucks had Class three hitches, the next step was welding a cross bolt to prevent use. Is my personal opinion that once a logo goes on the door other than a personal name tag or a Farm indicator the machine just became a CMV and as such required a CDL even if just a Class C.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
In Washington State which, complies to federal law, a CDL is requires when GVW is over 26,000 pounds. There is some confusion on whether that means in total with trailers. I still don't understand how you can have a 3/4 ton pickup with a GVW of 8,000 being able to handle that much on the truck plus a 5,000 pound loaded trailer and still be legal for use on a highway. I also can't see how anyone driving a bus is required to have a CDL while a seventy year old man can go buy a 45 foot RV and drive down the road towing a car behind and not needing anything to prove competence.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
John C you evidently have not seen the doubles sets behind the RVs we get around here!! Tag Pusher Class A diesel 40+ foot RV, tow behind car as the RV is just too big to maneuver in towns and behind that the 18-22' Fish and Ski type boat or multiple Wave Runners or Jet Boat. Biggest seen to date was a converted Prevost Bus(50+ feet) with the noted accoutrements All Okie Dokie on a RV plate and conventional driver license.

Truck Shop

All of the statements above are right as rain. But people will always push the limits when it comes to spending bucks to do it right or hiring it done correctly. 80% of the time they will take the risk.
The main problem is fines really are not steep enough. Insecure load should be $2,500 bucks across the board. Not enough brakes and axles $3,500 across the board. Not enough tire for load
$1,500. And last but not least {endangering the lives of others} $10,000 bucks across the board in every state.

John C. do you remember back some 18 years ago the incident involving the 80 year old couple that just picked up their new diesel pusher in Poulsbo, Wa. They ran the first red light killing one
individual, he had never driven anything that big and knew nothing about air brakes.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
This is one of the many reasons our commercial auto policy is damn near the same amount as our GL, something I have never experienced in 25+ years of business.

The flip side is the unintended consequences of the CDL law.

For example -

2018 F350 SRW has a GVW of 11.5K, hook a 14K skid steer trailer behind and everything is hunky dory in the eyes fo the law here in Alabama which follows the bare minimum Federal CDL law. Now a 2018 F350 DRW has a GVW around 14K, hook the same 14K skid steer trailer behind it and BAM - class A CDL.

Now which version is safer on the road? We all know the answer but it's not what the law is. The above example is why companies put unsafe combinations together in order to be below the CDL weight requirements.

Fines are a reactionary response that does have some limited success but won't solve the problem. I know it sounds cheesy but part of the answer is more education on the issue. I don't know how the education should or could be implemented but it's one place to start.

Just my $.02.

wornout wrench

Here in British Columbia, we have all kinds of laws and regs.

Here is a link, much easier than trying to write it out.
https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/types-licences/Pages/Licence-classes-and-types.aspx

If the vehicle has air, you need the endorsement.
If you are pulling a heavy trailer, you need the endorsement
If you are pulling a heavy RV trailer, there is an endorsement for that

The commercial guys will get checked during random vehicle check.

So Grandpa must have his air endorsement.
Or
If Grandpa decides to pull that 40 foot 5th wheel behind him, he must have that endorsement also.
But I dare you to go to one of our RV lots and have the salesman tell you that.

Where I live we don't have scales, closest one is about 120 km away (70 miles roughly) so you will see lots of stupid things going on. Not so much on the big guys, but more like what DMiller posted about.

The commercial vehicle inspector is mobile in our parts but he has to catch these looney toons that think they can pull a mini ex behind a toyota pickup ( I'm exaggerating here), but you know what I mean.

The problem is, unless you get pulled over or are involved in an accident, NO ONE ever asks if you have the proper endorsement.

ianjoub

All of the statements above are right as rain. But people will always push the limits when it comes to spending bucks to do it right or hiring it done correctly. 80% of the time they will take the risk.
The main problem is fines really are not steep enough. Insecure load should be $2,500 bucks across the board. Not enough brakes and axles $3,500 across the board. Not enough tire for load
$1,500. And last but not least {endangering the lives of others} $10,000 bucks across the board in every state.

John C. do you remember back some 18 years ago the incident involving the 80 year old couple that just picked up their new diesel pusher in Poulsbo, Wa. They ran the first red light killing one
individual, he had never driven anything that big and knew nothing about air brakes.
I completely disagree with your approach. No harm has been committed. If something happens, there are laws on the books to handle what happens, from reckless operation, destruction of personal property, to negligent homicide (if it comes to that).

More laws and fines are not the answer.

Truck Shop

I completely disagree with your approach. No harm has been committed. If something happens, there are laws on the books to handle what happens, from reckless operation, destruction of personal property, to negligent homicide (if it comes to that).

More laws and fines are not the answer.

Well if you take that approach then it is totally ok to drive and drink, talk on a cell phone and text or read a newspaper and drink your coffee all while driving as long as no harm has
been committed. The only thing people understand is getting hit in the pocket book, they can hardly take a breath without thinking about their money. It's probably a damn good thing
I'm not a WSP DOT, I would have to wear a bullet proof vest to bed.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I agree with the fines approach and education. It should work for both the RV people and the CDL drivers.
Where are my rights when one of these idiots running down the road hits me or someone in my family? What is my recourse when my property is damaged or destroyed. The guilty parties insurance sure isn't going to do me any good. They were driving an illegal load which generally isn't insurable. In the mean time I'm now paying insurance for me and the nut with the load because my insurance has to pay a claim they rightly aren't a party to.

AzIron

It's crazy scary when you realize what's on the road with your wife and kids land scapers and want to be contractors seem to be the worst it's like the guys that haul backhoes on a 1 ton dually it's right at the safe limits in good conditions

Mid June is when it gets really stupid around here it gets hot and all those fancy lifted truck tires eont take the weight

truck shop is right put big fines on it seems to work well with off road fuel in on road vehicles

Truck Shop

To switch gears a little on the CDL thing. Since electronic logs came into effect the over the highway rig accident ratio has climbed. In the shop we noticed an up-tic in brake shoe wear.
Drivers are pushing it to keep appointed load/ unload times. And they don't want to run out of hours one our from home and have to take ten off or even do a 36 reset. The feds don't
want to admit that e-logs are causing drivers to push past the limits and cause a safety issues.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
To switch gears a little on the CDL thing. Since electronic logs came into effect the over the highway rig accident ratio has climbed. In the shop we noticed an up-tic in brake shoe wear.
Drivers are pushing it to keep appointed load/ unload times. And they don't want to run out of hours one our from home and have to take ten off or even do a 36 reset. The feds don't
want to admit that e-logs are causing drivers to push past the limits and cause a safety issues.
I wondered about that. Know a guy who drive for a small freight hauling company and have heard him talking to his wife about not being sure if he could get the last 30 or 40 miles home before the truck made him stop for the day!

Maybe that is one reason why the one time I was at their small one bay shop they had a couple pallets of relined shoes sitting there?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Did not dawn on me until you noted the brakes abuse, drivers pushing harder, local hauling company on e-logs is doing the same, LOADS of brakes and drums/rotors sitting in their shop both old and new.
Will have to ask next time in there.
Maybe it is just my mind considering but have been a great deal of semi trailer fires in the news recently, all started off over heated brakes by the reports, coincidence? And the lumber hauler that lost brakes in CO exceeding responsible speed down hill?

BigWrench55

Be careful about driving behind box trucks. I have seen on more than one occasion people loading forklifts into them and tying the unit down with 1" ratchet straps. Why even bother that strap isn't even going to begin keeping that load secure. It's crazy what people think is safe.

ianjoub

Well if you take that approach then it is totally ok to drive and drink, talk on a cell phone and text or read a newspaper and drink your coffee all while driving as long as no harm has been committed.

Yes, it should be. Don't punish people for things they have not done (damaged someone else either physically or financially).