• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loaders, Limbers and Roadbuilders.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
The ski hill here where I live used to have one of thsoe roll-over wings on a 14G. I got the privilage of running for a couple days. It seemed like a great idea, but the one they had was WAY to heavy for a 14. It added so much weight to rear of the tractor that it made it very hard to turn without using the articulation. When you picked it up off the ground, or the top of the berm it lifted the oppisite side of the machine off the ground, thus making any movement difficult. The engine in the grader was quite weak to say the least. 3rd gear was tops while plowing with the wing down. If plowing up hill with the wing down, or when knocking the berm tops off, 2nd was all you could use. Talk about a long day!
I was working for a contractor to the ski hill running his 140G with a regular wing and a straight bull-blade. It was down for a couple days cause a drive chain broke, so I ran that 14. I was happy a puppy with four balls to play with when I got our 140 back! That little 140 would out work that 14 10:1.

Scott S

My Granddad patented the hydraulic angle and tilt blade for dozers in the early 40's, he was logging and road building near the central coast of Oregon and came up with the idea. While he was ingenious he was a lousy salesman, rumor was he was offered $2500 from Hyster for the use of the patent and turned them down.

He never made a cent....

http://www.google.com/patents?id=QF...d_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q=sword dozer&f=false

Scott S

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
JTL, yes that 14g must have been real sick. It also doesn't take mutch being out of balance to throw a machine out of usability. another thing with with these graders is the wide tires, they are miserable to try to push mutch, especially in snow, i wonder how long it will take to change the tires out on that 14m to ones like the 14h has on it, maybe its balanced different?.....................theironoracle

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
330 roadbuilder....not roadbuilding...

[video=youtube;5SHTTpgKpT4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SHTTpgKpT4[/video]

Rusty Grapple

Kato was around throughout the Pacific Northwest in the 1980's- Ross was the dealer and the did pretty well with them.
Lots were sold as loggers and roadbuilders; many different lower options (in both tracks and rubber-tire carriers) and several
different boom options. I have alot of old Ross/Kato ads and promo items, but these machines have largely disappeared
and I'm not sure where the heck they all went..?

I dont have much Kato scanned but here are 2 pics I took in 1987 in the backcountry between Cougar and Randle, on a Ben A. Thomas
job in USFS wood. Thomas was a big logger from Woodland, Washington and ran several Kato machines in his operations.

Ross had stores in Eugene, Portland, and Chehalis, Washington and did a fine job covering the Western States with all the
various manufacturers they sold; The Kato line was dropped when Ross picked up 'Hyundai' in the later 80's and ran with that
as thier 'price point' machine for loading and sorting.

Attachments

• PICT1019 RG2.jpg
    PICT1019 RG2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,239
  • PICT1020 BA RG2.jpg
    PICT1020 BA RG2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,239
Last edited:

Rusty Grapple

Can you post pics/ads of a Kato Roadbulider if you have time

Sure! The challenge will be digging and finding but I'll come up with some stuff for you this week if I get an extra hour or 2.

I had some great shots of Kato loggers on Pierce carriers working in Oregon around here someplace. I think VanDamme owned them.

furpo

From what I remember of the Kato was that they run no pilot pressure system so the valve spools were pulled via linkages direct from controls. It was like rowing a boat all day.

Kiwi Logger

Only for the travel and was made worse when the cabs were raised and after market cables for installed. We ran Kato's in Mangatu right though the 90s and they were faultless, very powerfull and well balanced.

OlympicYJ

Last edited:

OlympicYJ

I know it's not a shovel but it is old Iron. This arch came out of Camp Grisdale on the Olympic Peninsula. The cable 8 came out of Tacoma. An old logging 8 from Grisdale is behind the shop. The bigh chokers on the back were from the steam days. Found those out the Promised Land west of the Humptulips. The dog knobs are threaded through the arch and through the drum on the cat. They are Esco bells. High maganeese, magnet won't stick to em. They probably weigh around 30 pounds apiece.

0608121557 (2) (640x480).jpg

0608121558 (480x640).jpg

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
That's cool! ^

Brand new and shiney!

75076_10151191876232026_1634434500_n.jpg

OlympicYJ

Thanks man. Unfortunately the old girl doesn't run. The old man pulled er up to put some new heads on and never finished it... that was about 26 or 27 years ago. After workin on everyone elses junk I know he hates workin on his own. Has a great undercarriage on it though. The track pins are hardley worn. There was a stump splitter on it but took it off and loaned it to my uncle to mount on his excavator for splitting stumps. So dad drug the arch out of the bottom field and weaseled her in behind the cat for a yard ornament... or would that count as a shop ornament? lol

Very nice new machine. I'm hopin to have some good pics from this coming summer on the Olympic Peninsula.

0608121559 (640x480).jpg

Last edited: