• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loader Pins

ianjoub

IMO, from experience, Bosch blades cut better...

I like to use the carbide grit blades.

https://goo.gl/images/LELYTE
LELYTE

AllDodge

Think I might give it a try today. Came down with a cold the same day posted. Stopped raining finally

AllDodge

The pins did mushroom some and the reason hammering didn't do any good. I cut one side then took the hammer to open the gap on the other side. Should have taken a block of wood against the rod, but I hit the pin over. Doing this made me have to cut it 3 times to get it out. I'd make a mental note for next time but probably wouldn't remember any way. :(

Pin on the left was cut first and there is a bit of mushrooming on the right side of it

Used a 20 ton press and some sockets and all good. Now just need to clean paint and reinstall

Photo1535.jpg Photo1536.jpg

AllDodge

Well, there where 5 pins which had snapped keeper bolts, and besides the one above, I managed to get all removed and free except one more. This pin is on the loader arm to quick attach. Put a grade 5 bolt in it and it snapped it real easy. Been putting PB Blaster on it, and have a 10 ton cheap HF porta power, which going to try a rig something up to try and press it out.

This pin has next to no room for a blade

AllDodge

Right after the post I got a cough, next morning I've got the flu. Feeling better now but its 21 this morning, so going to wait a little longer for it to warm up a bit more

AllDodge

Well my port a power is only 4 ton so it didn't do much of anything.

Took some oak blocks, a chain, binder and 20 tom jack, and it didn't budget it either.

Photo1540.jpg

If I can manage to get the pin cut off, I don't know a way to get the pin pushed out. Could be back to drilling it out. Do have a short H beam which may be able to use it instead of wood.

Last edited:

Tinkerer

It appears your easiest option is a sawzall as mg23361 suggested earlier.
I have a dewalt cordless reciprocating saw that would cut both sides of the pin in about 20 minutes with a plain ole hacksaw blade in it. If it is as soft as you indicated earlier.

AllDodge

I'm sure I can get it cut, the issue is how to get the piece out after cutting. If I have nothing which can press it out now, after cutting isn't going to make it any better.

Just trying to figure best option before I think of cutting

hosspuller

AllDodge … I question your chain setup... I believe your chain & wood block are yielding so your 20 ton jack isn't putting enough pressure to push the pin. The links pictured at the jack's ram (at the nut against the pin) look like they are stretched. You might try some stronger or more chain.

I had a similar issue with some threaded rod and a hollow cylinder. I thought the cylinder wasn't enough pressure, till I found the rod so stretched the nut wouldn't turn on the rod...

Tinkerer

If you were to cut both sides of the pin completely through, the cylinder will be released from the frame. Then you will have easy access to the three pieces and, most likely whats left in the rod end is the culprit. If you have a press it will make short work of getting that pin out.

AllDodge

Not sure the chain is stretching, its 1/4 high tensile chain but do know the wood is compressing. I used a nut because that was about all space I had, and once wood compressed, you can see how much. Don't think the all thread will work because the last pin removed took everything the 20T press had to budge it.

Its only being held in the center and cutting the pin will allow me to remove the quick attach, but I'll still have the same issue. Unable to get it in a press because this is the end of the loader arms. I have some thick wall pipe which may be able to use between jack and other side of loader arm.

Tinkerer

But wouldn't the three pieces be fairly easy to drill out ? Most likely only one of the pieces would need drilling.
Do you think the pin is seized with rust or is there a step worn on the pin causing a hang up ?

AllDodge

Possibility, but drilling out a 1 inch pin will take some doing, and then I still need to get the rest out. My thought is if I can get the pin pushed out, then I can just sand in and out, grease and reinstall

hosspuller

...snip...
Its only being held in the center and cutting the pin will allow me to remove the quick attach, but I'll still have the same issue. Unable to get it in a press because this is the end of the loader arms. I have some thick wall pipe which may be able to use between jack and other side of loader arm.

Don't use the other side of the loader to press against... Likely, you'll bend the loader. The set up you have is appropriate... just too weak . Keep the forces local.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Weld on all thread as stated before. Drill out pin from other side enough to get through arm not all the way through 3/4 inch should be good size Tighten pipe ,nut ,all thread combo then heat while under pressure .repeat as needed

Heat from inside.

Last edited: