• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lists of projects

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Got shop cleaned, enough, got my running around done this morning as had to go to Lowes, for a decent Soldering iron, had 18v Dewalt batteries at Batteries plus that were ready, wife had her order in for Wally World and I was close, then a bank deposit then a Beer procurement and back home to do this:

Fat Allis is back on stands, time to find out what is gone south on right brake.

View attachment 223318 View attachment 223319
I bet that seat placement gives you great visibility, steering is less ergonomic.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
List of projects, I got one that's eating me up.
Long story short, helping someone put roof on their house in exchange for place to park for 2 months or less. Knew this was coming before I came back, told the kid wait till I get there and I can see what we need to order.. Nope, impatient orders everything before I even made it past Truck Shops town. Get here do a tear down of shingles on half the house which ends up needing needs a new deck, okay start on that then the soffits are rotted along with the fascia, get all that rebuilt and start on the metal roof that he ordered. Seems he didn't order half the stuff that needs to be on the roof, I maybe see him an hour of the whole 12 hours I am on the roof doing this and keeps running off to play i.e. take naps, grocery shop with his wife, spend few days on some vacation and who knows what else. This a a 94 manufactured mobile home with two skylights, vents, chimney, hip roof on a gable and I am not even half way done on putting metal on. We aren't talking regular 3' panels I have to put up, this moron ordered 16" panel standing seem snap lock that you would put on a mansion or something and is taking me forever. None of the 16" panels are cut to specs of the home I have to cut each one cause he didn't measure right. I'm curious, anyone know how much one would charge one to do this job, it's on a 28' x 60' mobile home with 3:12 pitch.
Honestly I'm wore the F out trying to get this done so I can get back to Montana and losing money in my time.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If my time as labor is not worth $40/hr is not worth my time
Trades are accepted to rate near that

As mechanic I accept no less than $100/hr as going rates around here range from 85-130

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I sure didn't expect that sort of rust in Missouri.
Here in the North, you can buy town trucks several years old rusted to nothing. everybody else's vehicles rust FAST, but the town truck actually delivers the salt to the road.

You must suffer from severe self loathing to dig into that truck.

What does the frame look like under the box?

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
If my time as labor is not worth $40/hr is not worth my time
Trades are accepted to rate near that

As mechanic I accept no less than $100/hr as going rates around here range from 85-130
I'm so many hours in, I'm sure in one day at this of $40 an hour I would make a months worth of rent for a RV and I don't plan on being here over 2 months. Was thinking about saying a $1,000 and split it with my wife who has done more to help me than him.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Frame is actually in good shape under this mess. Was a City of Brentwood MO truck when New(85) then sold after seven years of Salt service to Lutterman Concrete where he used it as a Demo haul unit until buddy of my BIL bought it to use for his own Demo work then failed a inspection and BIL bought intended for the Salem MO farm to haul creek rock. It never made it there. I was looking to the build here, needed to find a relatively OK on farm truck to haul dirt and he lent to me, has been here since 2014. Have rebuilt the carb, bought a used Holley Governed just for the truck and rebuilt it when the first one could not clear the metering jets bores the second go round and found the front bowl had sediment build up corruption that had finally eaten thru the aluminum. He had put brakes all way around with new wheel lines, I had to replace the steel tube from Metering block to rears some three years ago(Leak at of all things a Compression Union!!) Now has a brake tube across front cross member for steer axle feed, need Allis done first.

Saginaw gear needs a reseal(Not hard to do), should get a reman pump for it and then a reman Hydro Boost on the vac booster.

Hydraulics on this is a engine belt operated system so not dependent on trans rolling. Needs hydraulic hoses replaced, may set up a hard pipe from close to engine to scissors hoist and short line from frame to each. Reservoir is inside frame under hoist, that can be relocated to Outside the frame.

Wiring is a typical City truck Mess, the tires are crap but hold air, essentially needs a cab to get solid enough for a base the support the other work. Does need exhaust leaks(donut gaskets) fixed.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm concerned that you are too much like me. I got stuff I want to do, I'm old, not yet extremely old, but old. There may not be enough time.

I make excuses that I need to rebuild some relic, 'cause I need to move rock. The truth is I have a phobia of boredom. It terrifies me that I will have my mind, but no money to work on MY projects. I GOT to have projects!

I see it as a balance, loose your health, mind & money at the same time, all is well. I think of my mother, she died with $8.00 in her bank account. She worked out the timing perfectly. My sister & I joked about stopping at McDonalds to spend our inheritance after making funeral arrangements. Sister & I are the only siblings I'm aware of who got no inheritance to fight about.

colson04

I'm concerned that you are too much like me. I got stuff I want to do, I'm old, not yet extremely old, but old. There may not be enough time.

I make excuses that I need to rebuild some relic, 'cause I need to move rock. The truth is I have a phobia of boredom. It terrifies me that I will have my mind, but no money to work on MY projects. I GOT to have projects!

I see it as a balance, loose your health, mind & money at the same time, all is well. I think of my mother, she died with $8.00 in her bank account. She worked out the timing perfectly. My sister & I joked about stopping at McDonalds to spend our inheritance after making funeral arrangements. Sister & I are the only siblings I'm aware of who got no inheritance to fight about.

I whole heartedly agree about having to have projects. My wife, on the other hand, stresses over everything, including my list of projects.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Could be have hit that nail Willie. If I do not stay busy I dwell on those things I cannot help or change, I remain distracted and feel the need to stay in that distracted view. Time stands still for no man, I know that, I also know what I left behind so long ago that made me feel alive and cannot go back to retrieve it.

I have another project coming, will be a surprise to most on here when arrives and will likely take me most of a year to complete, it is what it is and I answer that call.

My wife is satisfied to sit and stare blindly at the one eyed brain eater on that new shelf I built, I cannot.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My Grandmother on Mom's side was my protector as a child, my Dad was a bit excessive in laying out punishment even as I did deserve it she was his limiter. She was as your Mother Willie, lived to 101, just shy of 102. Still had some savings and a little left of the money from her old house as well insurance to cover her funeral expenses and that was about it. Had lost her vision to Macular degeneration, her hearing was well past gone as she passed away yet her mind was relatively sharp. She had quilted and sewn, had made dozens of handmade articles for ALL 4 of her grandsons and Great Grans, she was a miracle worker with little of nothing yet kept that up until we had to enter her into a home to care for her, she did not last two years there. Grandfather Owen(Ode to us) retired from Shell oil with a Provident Fund Retirement at 60 years old, died before his first check arrived, Grandma received those checks until her 100th birthday where the agent in charge of her account spoke to my brother as to her outliving the fund, at 100 it just stopped as was in the contract. She drew more than three times more than the fund was ever intended and the agent chuckled as to she "Beat the System".

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
WHOMEVER gets this machine when I am done with it, gets that Pad Eye as a Special Tool INDISPENSIBLE!!!

Donor parts are stripped out and at the shop. Tomorrow is Another Day! Soaked TWO t-shirts getting this far, gave in as noticed shoes/socks squishing. Is beer thirty.

IMG_8290.JPG IMG_8291.JPG IMG_8292.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Got clutch and lower brake shoes back in this morning, fought for over an hour with top shoe and brake adjuster which kept falling out of place. Threw in the towel at 12:30, managed some discretionary and itinerant expletives directed at the machine turned Out the lights and got cleaned up. Some days is better if not easier to Walk Away for awhile.

Truck Shop

It's good you turned the lights out now go back and talk to it in the dark that way it won't see you carrying that .45.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
It's good you turned the lights out now go back and talk to it in the dark that way it won't see you carrying that .45.
When I want to intimidate inanimate objects I use a Mosberg Shockwave, A 30" overall long 12 gauge 3" pump.

It seems it also works on people. Sunday night late, motion sensor lights came on across the road at my Connecticut resident's vacation house. At first I didn't recognize the pickup, when I did, I continued. It was their dirt bag son in law.

I apologized, said I didn't recognize the truck. I think he got the message, he called me sir!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Kind of hard to hide that, you should at least blindfold that inanimate object.:)
It was never my intent to harm, only to diffuse the situation. "Never bring a knife to a gunfight" is a quote from a young man who had enormous potential. At age 50 he seems to be spiraling toward a crash.

Sadly, he committed his life to drugs & alcohol. These days his son has made life a success, I'll bet my small fortune his daughter will also. They are both intelligent & tough kids.

I digress. I get involved in households no grumpy old man should know about.