• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lists of projects

crane operator

Is a sad note to this
My brother was listening to the rendering of the buyer’s follies and foibles where this morning got lost twice with directions in the seat beside him to get here. He was within a 1/4 mile the second time.
Alzheimers early onset was his comment
Old guy is 71
Divorced 7 years and trying to recover what he lost seven years ago.
Gets lost with motor skills, gets lost with directions, got lost trying to operate a simple old loader on hand clutches and a single lever bucket control.
Has a skid steer
Has a forklift
Has a backhoe
But had to have this loader too
Brother said its typical where he is so tied into fixing a past long gone cannot find his way now.
May be right

That's so sad to hear. It takes a somewhat funny story, and makes it a stark reminder of the day every one of has coming. That day when we shouldn't be doing any more, what we've always done.

I hope his collection of equipment gives him the peace of mind and security that he is looking for.

petepilot

I will raise a glass and drink to this amazing moment DMiller! Amazing because no one "needs" that machine "badly"' but as the saying goes, there's an ass for every seat! But mostly I'll tip a glass back to all the hard work and monumental effort you put into keeping that orphan running...IF that fella makes it home there's not a chance he will love her as you did, I believe the truck and trailer combo is plenty of evidence. What I really want to know is, what are you gonna fill the empty space with? Some kind of new toy?
heres the perfect candidate for a space filler:D 20200926_171025.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That's so sad to hear. It takes a somewhat funny story, and makes it a stark reminder of the day every one of has coming. That day when we shouldn't be doing any more, what we've always done.

I hope his collection of equipment gives him the peace of mind and security that he is looking for.

Until my older brother(He is same age 71) made the comment to me I had not considered the issue. He stated has seen this activity type in some of his older friends now gone from the disease. As you note I hope this brings him some security and peace so he can live his end days with less agony. Tried to call last night to confirm was OK, rang thru but did not answer and no voice mail has been set up response. Kind of sad.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I had a good friend, inherited well, then amassed a substantial fortune owning numerous businesses. He bought an ice cream plant for a song & built a respectable machine shop in it. He bought a Fordson NAA GOLDEN JUBILEE tractor with a machine shop built backhoe. The transaxle was broken. He replaced the casting, felt the hoe was too big for the tractor. He installed the backhoe on a 1955 Chevy Wrecker. Called it the "TOW HOE".
First his father, then he was a collector. He loved old organs, steam engines, Victrolas, player pianos, player organs, popcorn wagons, etc.
By his late seventies he began some erratic behavior. He went on a three year buying spree. He started a few weird business schemes, buried an old oil tank he intended to convert to a massive steam generator to power steam engines. One plan was DUKW tours in Lake Champlain. He started being accused of approaching young girls, saying inappropriate things to them. Started feuding with neighbors.
When it seemed he had totally lost his mind, a couple who had been close forever, and his wife abducted him, and signed him in to a hospital. Ultimately the diagnosis was severe reaction to a non compatible combination of prescription drugs.
A month in hospital he was cured! He was himself again!
Sad events in life, he then had a knee replaced. It didn't go well, and he ended up an invalid. Moved to assisted living where he died a year later.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Old fella called just a few moments ago, has arrived back home. Stayed overnight in Keokuk then to the house this morning. The Mess made the trip of 300 miles in just at NINE hours!!!!
Only problem is now he is going to be even more sure of what he can haul the next time! Just hope the next load destroys the trailer and the tow vehicle before it hits the road!

56wrench

next year i will be in a conundrum. this is our last harvest before retiring from farming. we will be relocating and i won't be able to take my 46a with me when we downsize. my wife says the cat 12 will not go either. we will be selling off our farm equipment and cleaning up the accumulated stuff around the yard. she says i can get a small crawler to play with but it just won't be the same. i'm too old to go back to being a full-time mechanic and wouldn't want to anyway. i don't like working on the newer stuff- i prefer the old, simple machines and vehicles. as long as my mind holds out and my body doesn't deteriorate faster than it has already has i should be good for a few years of restoring/tinkering but just have to find a large enough acreage in an area where i can work on and play with my stuff. it sure is the shits when you plan your retirement around proximity to medical services, which you will need more of eventually. i would like cities if there were no people there and no traffic to fight with. any of my 'treasures' i get to keep will have to be moved about 4 or 5 hrs away from where we are now. when i was young, i didn't think retirement would be so complicated. big decisions and lots of work ahead

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am trying to pare down as I go, getting free of some existing 'Stuff' to dwell on with a New project for the winter and pare down even more beyond that. Will eventually end up in a small suburbia two or three bedroom 2 bath as we had when first married with Sis In Law living with us and few to any of the excess we have now. Will more than likely have a RV and a toter for it, but NO Boat, NO extra Car behind it, perhaps a lesser ride in a Toy Box In it but just two pieces going down the road. Snowbird moment for us should we get there.

colson04

next year i will be in a conundrum. this is our last harvest before retiring from farming. we will be relocating and i won't be able to take my 46a with me when we downsize. my wife says the cat 12 will not go either. we will be selling off our farm equipment and cleaning up the accumulated stuff around the yard. she says i can get a small crawler to play with but it just won't be the same. i'm too old to go back to being a full-time mechanic and wouldn't want to anyway. i don't like working on the newer stuff- i prefer the old, simple machines and vehicles. as long as my mind holds out and my body doesn't deteriorate faster than it has already has i should be good for a few years of restoring/tinkering but just have to find a large enough acreage in an area where i can work on and play with my stuff. it sure is the shits when you plan your retirement around proximity to medical services, which you will need more of eventually. i would like cities if there were no people there and no traffic to fight with. any of my 'treasures' i get to keep will have to be moved about 4 or 5 hrs away from where we are now. when i was young, i didn't think retirement would be so complicated. big decisions and lots of work ahead

Don't retire. My grandpa is 74. He just put about 50 hours on the forage harvester chopping corn, and is gearing up to run the combine for 1500 acres or so. He also runs the busineas for a 350 head dairy farm. Yes, my dad and uncle work on the farm too, but it is still my grandpa's farm and he is there managing the day to day, fixing what needs fixing, etc. He claims that staying actively involved is what keeps him sharp and healthy and I don't doubt it one bit.

mitch504

Yep, I've seen too many quit working, then have no reason to stay active, go downhill and out fast. My father died at 83, the last time I saw him alive, he put down the 12 pound hammer to wave as I drove by. One of my best friends is a tugboat captain, he still goes on a couple of trips a month. He is the only reason I still go to sea, he won't pass the sea buoy without me on board as a backup captain, I don't know why, he's only 89.

It pisses me off that that's all I want is to be able to work and do what I want into my '80s, and I am having more health problems than most of my friends 30 years older. Particularly when so many my age and younger want only to get on disability and sit on the couch.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Retirement is a Trick and Trap. Find I work more now than when worked, just no pay!! All too many projects all too heavy work. Paring down will do less Heavy and more detail as get there. Life is not without something to do where my FIL and wife would prefer to sit all day watch TV for ENDLESS hours, I cannot and could not ever do that. Will always have some wood working or carpentry or minor mechanical work going on, just in my nature, not going to work is not so bad once I dialed into that.