• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lets see your truck decks

Coastal

Hey Guys,

Im having some trouble setting up my truck for hauling my mini excavator, its a 2004 Sterling Acterra, and i want a deck with a dovetail/beavertail and fold down ramps.

I'd love to see some pics of others dovetail part.

Thanks!

itsgottobegreen

easiest way to do that. Get your self an old deck over heavy equipment trailer. Then remove the running gear and the tow hitch, etc. Then mount the deck and ramps right to the frame of the truck. Bingo all done, got yourself a complete truck for moving heavy equipment without a trailer. When I lived up in boston there was a company and thats what they had for moving small stuff like D-3, bobcats, mini-x, etc.

atgreene

I just built this body, and although the truck isn't big enough to haul my excavator, the concept would work with some ramps. I really like the expanded steel mesh deck, as it washes clean. By doing what you're thinking of, you would avoid some dot headaches, as long as the truck is heavy enough. A roll-off body would be nice, one body for the excavator and one for a small dump. You could also do one for tools, an enclosed roll-off. Hmmmmm, got me thinking now.

http://www.bucksfab.com/switchngo.htm

Here's a link that I had forgot about 'till you mentioned a ramp type body. I think this would be slick. You could buy the subframe and build your own bodies, if your handy.

Attachments

• Ghetto 3-2-06 012r.jpg
    Ghetto 3-2-06 012r.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,948

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Those switch 'n go's are really slick. You can haul equipment, slap a dump box on or even place a drop box for site waste all with one truck. Very versatile.

A company around here a couple years ago had a ramp truck, I believe it was Peterbilt dump chassis with the dump bed obviously removed. It looked like a plain old equipment trailer that had all the running gear and such removed with a 5 foot or so beavertail with fold down ramps. They hauled a Schaeff walking excavator on it and they later dropped a water tank on it.

Coastal

Thanks guys, I wondered about swapping a trailer over and if it would work, I'll look into that.

I had a hooklift on my last rig, it was slick, load on the ground, totally safe, but with all that bling comes a pricetag! I havent been able to find one for under $20000CDN installed, then there's the decks you have to buy as well.

Ok going trailer hunting!

Coastal

Atgreen, thats a sweet deck you built! Nice fab work, i wonder how the expanded metal is for traction with steel tracks?

atgreene

I doubt it would be good for steel tracks. For rubber tracks it may be ok. I slid a JD 350 dozer off a trailer one day in a down pour. After 3 attempts and 2 slide-offs right off the side of the trailer, I left it sitting there and drove back to the shop. No roll cage or anything, and no right steering clutch, made for an interesting ride. Steel on steel is scary when wet.

The expaned mesh is so I can wash salt sand off, as it's primarily a plow truck. I also wonder how it would be with dirt on the tracks, if you'd dust the cars behind you eveytime you hit a bump. As far a maintenance, though, it's sweet.

Coastal

I found a deal today on a used dovetailed deck, some landscaper hacked up the front of it and added a bunch of useless stuff, but with a little fab work it will be perfect! It has spring assited drop down ramps and is in really good shape.... I pick it up tomorrow!

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
This had been bugging me since this thread started, enough so now that I have to ask! I'm curious as to why you are dedicating a truck to the job of moving your machine from job to job. The standard method here is to use a dump truck with a tag along trailer. This way the truck serves multi purpose, moving the machine and hauling materials. I could understand your thinking if you were in the machinery moving business and would do that all day long with the truck, but I'm curious how this truck can earn it's keep sitting idle at the job once the machine has been delivered.

Can you expand on how your business operates? Thanks!

Coastal

Basically, I have no interest in hauling materials, there are enough companies to do that. And finding fill sites around here is getting harder and harder.

I dont have any employees, also I don't want any, so if I have to load up my dump truck and haul materials away, its time away from my excavating work.

I need a truck to move this thing anyways, i'd rather haul it on the truck than trailer, but with this setup, i can put my excavator on the truck, and tow my bobcat if I need both machines on a job with a regular license, since the truck has hydraulic brakes. I also dont want to get a Class 1 license, as its expensive and time consuming here.

I hope that explains a little!

RyanCKing

Owner/ Operators with a single backhoe here locally prefer not to have a dump truck so the customers does not try to get them to run the truck for free. Also here in CA a class B CDL will work for a straight truck instead of A CDL you need for a truck and trailer combo.

itsgottobegreen

RyanCKing said:
Owner/ Operators with a single backhoe here locally prefer not to have a dump truck so the customers does not try to get them to run the truck for free. Also here in CA a class B CDL will work for a straight truck instead of A CDL you need for a truck and trailer combo.

I just remembered. South Carroll Backhoe runs a 4900 with a custom built deck to haul a 580super K 4x4 ex-hoe. They said they can get CDL B drivers all day long, But not a CDL A driver and at a much higher price.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
In B.C. Canada you don't need a CDL for straight single axle trucks if its on air all you need is a air endorsement on your license. The truck can have a gvw of 35,000lbs which is usually the heaviest single axle you can get.

As for a ramp deck its the easiest way of hauling a machine you just want to make the ramps easy to walk up and down on with excavators. You want to have wood decking where the steel tracks ride as steel on steel is slippery as a banana peal.

Trailers are a pain in the azz especially if you have to work in the Lower Mainland where its tight areas. Even in rural areas like I live you have a heck of a time trying to get a trailer and truck turned around.

Coastal

Well, here is what I ended up with, after two straight weekends of fab work, its almost done, needs new paint, some safety decal stuff, and a few odds and ends but it works for now.

truck_loaded1.jpg

truckloaded_2.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff D.

:thumbsup Looks real good!!

Is there enough clearance between the tires and the deck?It looks close but it may be just an illusion.