• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lets see your truck decks

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
The 161 is a pretty good jag for a 5 ton truck must be a little touchy with the brakes I hope you have a exhaust brake on the Sterling :yup

Moving a mini excavator around on a truck is so much easier than fooling around with a trailer. Especially if you have a job where you got a long finished driveway where you can't walk a machine. Or you have one of those jobs where the driveway is really long and its too far to walk the machine.

Looks good I would make the head ache rack a little taller so it goes above the cab then you can pack long stuff on the truck like a culvert pipe etc.

The set up looks good :thumbsup

Jeff D.

Those rails on the side could be real helpful if the beavertail gets greasy.And I imagine they help keep it stiffened up too.

Coastal

Yah its fine on there, it only weighs about 13000, and the trucks got a payload of about 20,000 minus the deck, but i do have an exhaust brake and the mercedes engine has another brake built into it, its pretty nice. I will admit I screwed up the headache rack, I was in too much of a hurry and measured wrong!

Coastal

Jeff D. said:
Those rails on the side could be real helpful if the beavertail gets greasy.And I imagine they help keep it stiffened up too.

The rails are nice, they make loading and unloading a little more comfortable thats for sure!

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
It looks like it's pretty high. What kind of clearance do you need to get through underpasses?

Coastal

Lookin good Squizzy! What do you use for ramps?

As far as overpasses go, it fits just nicely, theres guys that put 60's and 100's on truck decks here, and they seem to do fine.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Coastal said:
Lookin good Squizzy! What do you use for ramps?

As far as overpasses go, it fits just nicely, theres guys that put 60's and 100's on truck decks here, and they seem to do fine.

Aluminium 6 tonne ramps, they are a PITA but they also work for our skid and can be used on trailers. We are looking to something better in the future. The 161 only just fits in the Bitsamissing. With the boom folded down we get inder overheight restrictions by about a foot.

Coastal

I bought aluminum ramps from discountramps.com, they are very nice, but yes a huge PITA to deal with, and i think they would work better with a rubber tracked, or tired machine. Wanna buy some slightly used ramps?? :bouncegri

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
We can get away with 14' overall height but 13'6" is the legal height if your too high and pull down powerlines you just drive faster :laugh

Its the overpasses you have to be carefull about and make sure you know what the maximum height is in metres which I always forget.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Here are some pics of one company's setup. They were out at the site putting some fence up. The guy I spoke to said this is the only way they've ever hauled their machine.

They used to have steel ramps, but they were real heavy, so they had these made of aluminum. They look pretty sturdy. They have a little tongue that fits right over the rail that runs outside of the stake pockets, while the tip rests on the deck.

My apologies for the picture quality. My phone takes a beating, and the camera feature is a little bit off these days...

Attachments

• ramps.JPG
    ramps.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 709
  • ramps2.JPG
    ramps2.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 706
  • ramp.JPG
    ramp.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 707

Coastal

Thanks for sharing! Thats the setup I tried, it worked great with my skidsteer, but the excavator was a little too scary for my likings!

PSDF350

itsgottobegreen said:
No an unimod would have tires twice that size. Plus no duals in the back or road tires.

I would bet that its his Mitsubishi 9 ton dump truck.
Now you mention it I didn't even see the dual rear wheels:Banghead I really should pay closer attention.

ftb

coastal you have a great point! there is much more $ in excavating then there is in hauling. Sub out the hauling. here a triaxale in $65hr peanuts:) its not worth the ins. maint. fuel paying a cdl driver over weight permits register etc. and on top of it all the note on the trruck