• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

KW updates

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I too prefer early, know they have not been at it all day and tired. After surgery on the left eye was astounded how well it worked. Will see how this ends up.

Old Doug

Early is good i didnt like them telling me how many they did a day i was going to tell them about the mechanic that did over a dozen oil changes a day every one knows what can and does happen alot.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Earlier than imagined, Update.

Surgery took little to next to no time. Lens is implanted but eye is angry currently, notable swelling and the envelope the lens sits in need to recover some before that eye will actually see well enough to DUH See.

So little gal in post op brought up my record, I asked and she printed off my Cornea Maps. Good for some entertainment anyway. Right shows yellowish highlights for a mild astigmatism, Left on the Other hand(Ignore torn area as rough handled) shows the Three predominant Astigmatisms and result of sculpting by previous Doc that gained some function back for me there. No more can do with that. Lucky enough to run a bead and make it look like one.

IMG_0813.JPG IMG_0814.JPG

Am currently Typing using that Oddball and No Glasses.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I had my new lenses installed in 2018. When setting up to have it done was given the option of having them set for distance or close up without correction. I picked the distance so need to were glasses to read. Now days I hear that some versions can do both near and far.

The last couple annual appointments the doc has mentioned that there is some cloudyness behind the lenses that if it starts giving me issues he can zap it away with his laser in the office as an outpatient procedure. So far I have not noticed it but like many things that come on over time I might only notice a change after he zaps them. Might think about it next time I'm there for regular appointment.

Hope yours keep improving!

Old Doug

I had my new lenses installed in 2018. When setting up to have it done was given the option of having them set for distance or close up without correction. I picked the distance so need to were glasses to read. Now days I hear that some versions can do both near and far.

The last couple annual appointments the doc has mentioned that there is some cloudyness behind the lenses that if it starts giving me issues he can zap it away with his laser in the office as an outpatient procedure. So far I have not noticed it but like many things that come on over time I might only notice a change after he zaps them. Might think about it next time I'm there for regular appointment.

Hope yours keep improving!
I got the multifocal lenses. I dont need glasses it was about double the price insurance will not pay for the up grade. Most people dont get the multifocal deal because there used to wearing glasses and dont mind. I read a deal about a eye doc that had cataracts that didnt get the up grade because of something . I am very happy with my vision. The worst thing about the hole deal was i would have like for some one to set down and realy took time and talked to me about every thing . Some times i felt like a pair of eye balls with a body just going along for the ride.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My new lens is a multifocal Toric so my eye and brain can somewhat focus it as the eye regains strength and learns that lens. Will still need readers where general distance and say dash board gauges are supposed to become manageable. Reasonably distant will likely need assist for details.
I removed the right lense of my glasses this morning, a challenge as to finding and removing the retainer screw but managed so can have some acuity of Left eye and sunglasses. Just figuring out was straight blade was tough, then had to make the screwdriver work in that slot. Something used to do no thought or consideration now is a PITA. Only day Two, I know:oops:

50190BB3-C1EE-4082-8F8A-068BE71E5009.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Flash thought
Bit me as Fred Sanford, rummaging thru a drawer full of odd glasses to find a pair can see with!!
Wife has all ranges of Cheaters 1.25 -1.75 all over the house. Seems 1.75 is close for now.

Just noticed where last night every light had a Halo effect, that too has subsided.

Old Doug

Flash thought
Bit me as Fred Sanford, rummaging thru a drawer full of odd glasses to find a pair can see with!!
Wife has all ranges of Cheaters 1.25 -1.75 all over the house. Seems 1.75 is close for now.

Just noticed where last night every light had a Halo effect, that too has subsided.
I remember Fred and his glasses . My parents wore glasses and i bet they kept every pair they ever had any way i have alot of old glasses i hope i can find a place that wants them i think the lions club used to gather them up.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Picked up some Safety eyewear so can be a little more careful. Clear for general duty and got both styles sunglasses as uncertain which will do better especially riding. Wrap around decreases wind on eyes and allows wider field of view.
Doc pretty certain that use of a gas permeable contact on left eye should bring that easily to 20/20 and only necessitate use driving or working where can use both eyes.
Would not ‘need’ all the time and the dry eye drops currently using would bring to a comfort level.
Not surprisingly and adequately named for this old wrench, BULLHEAD Safety Polycarbonate
CD3219B6-5B10-49F0-A2A2-49ADFC15F819.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Oh, and the Sheep Farmer Neighbor has resumed "Ready to Sell Yet"!! Told him ," Nope" and leaving that there.
Am thinking he failed to investigate options as to expansion before bought and is learning a valued lesson of being property limit locked. He is soon to pass 68, will see where he is at around three years from now.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
My friend (passed 3 yrs ago at 78) pointed out to me that he could hire in a lot of help for the fees he would pay to sell and relocate. He had a handy man that did the ladder work and heavy lifting. Still cut his own grass and trimming in the yard. Handy man took care of the trees, gutters, painting, and house washing. He passed living happily in his own home.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have a few neighbors here insist on staying ‘at home on the farm’, cannot tend fence or do much for land maintenance often leasing to either other neighbors or locals needing space. Those that cannot or have no capacity for the work generally cannot afford either option of sell out or staying, proverbial Rock and Hard Place as should have vacated prior. Smarter ones find something manageable inside small towns closer to bigger metros before expenses ate them into stalled in place, knowing farm went to good people eased their minds.

My Own Grandmother insisted she could stay at home. Could not see well enough to know house was decaying, would not hear anyone tell her was, by 88 was already house bound fearing would be gone before could get back just from store trips or Doctor visits, fretted of that as soon as got in transport to leave almost to panic level. Went blind to macular degeneration and deaf, had to enter a facility as failed to attend basic needs as bathing or eating. Was a mess for a few weeks then said to sell the house we had already disposed of and placed the money in her account. Found stability in the care center, small house personally owned, not a hospital type die in obscurity machine nursing home. Was 101 just before 102 birthday when passed.

Our Dad checked himself into a assisted loving center, money pit but two meals a day, cleaned his apartment weekly, had a shuttle for he to get his personal needs. He allowed me to take his car as unable to see well enough to renew license. Was 73 when checked in, 83 when passed.

Last edited:

Old Doug

I am not 60 yet and i dont know if i want to stay out on the farm. I like to work but i am tired of haveing so much to do all the time. I wish my place in town had more room. I am thinking about keeping some of the land but i dont want to have 2 places. I have always liked the farm some place to drive my Jeeps and birtbikes but i havent had time to do that in years.
It's a tough job kicking the bucket but we all have to do it.
You have to spend your hole life working to get there.