• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu PC290-11

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That looks pretty good. Keep grease in the joints and that will last as long as the bucket and thumb.

crane operator

Everything looks better than what I build. It sure is a nice looking excavator- but you're supposed to be out working with it- not adding stuff on it in the shop.:)

And just because I'm curious- how come it took so long to show up?

Shimmy1

What's going on with that pin that appears too small and maybe tacked in place?
That is the main pin. The welding around the pin is kind of boogered up from use, we extended that arm on the pin because someone cut it off. That square tubing holds the pin from turning in the coupler.

Shimmy1

Everything looks better than what I build. It sure is a nice looking excavator- but you're supposed to be out working with it- not adding stuff on it in the shop.:)

And just because I'm curious- how come it took so long to show up?

First it was because they couldn't find another machine for the contractor that had it on rent. When I decided I wanted to buy it, they had to replace it (3 weeks). Then they couldn't get permits because of load restrictions (a month). Then, they only had one guy in the shop, so nobody could service it before delivery. Then, when I looked at it, I smelled coolant, and they determined that the EGR cooler needed to be replaced (let's wait another 3 weeks for parts). Finally, I decided to have the dealer install the coupler (oh, wait, install kit missing a bunch of parts. ANOTHER 2 WEEKS).

BigWrench55

First it was because they couldn't find another machine for the contractor that had it on rent. When I decided I wanted to buy it, they had to replace it (3 weeks). Then they couldn't get permits because of load restrictions (a month). Then, they only had one guy in the shop, so nobody could service it before delivery. Then, when I looked at it, I smelled coolant, and they determined that the EGR cooler needed to be replaced (let's wait another 3 weeks for parts). Finally, I decided to have the dealer install the coupler (oh, wait, install kit missing a bunch of parts. ANOTHER 2 WEEKS).

So...
Do they charge by the hour or the excuse?

Welder Dave

That is the main pin. The welding around the pin is kind of boogered up from use, we extended that arm on the pin because someone cut it off. That square tubing holds the pin from turning in the coupler.
I meant the pin on the bucket that the coupler hooks to. It looks too small for the bucket ear. The pin to the square tube looks fine.

Shimmy1

Ok, why does Komatsu think they need to run some magic elixir for hydraulic oil? WTH is HO 56 or VG 56 hydraulic oil? We run either CNH HyTran, Cat HYDO 10, or Cenex Indol EH AW46 in everything else.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I don't know what all the brand names are. We used to only run AW46 or AW32 hydraulic oils in all machines. Never had any problems with clean oil which is the key to long life of hydraulic components. Warranty requirements make things confusing, but then again they are meant to be that way. Talk to your supplier about the specified oils and they can tell you about what they provide and whether or not it is compatible.

Shimmy1

I don't know what all the brand names are. We used to only run AW46 or AW32 hydraulic oils in all machines. Never had any problems with clean oil which is the key to long life of hydraulic components. Warranty requirements make things confusing, but then again they are meant to be that way. Talk to your supplier about the specified oils and they can tell you about what they provide and whether or not it is compatible.
They say you can't blend AW46 with this HO56. You've never heard of it before?

Welder Dave

Maybe it's similar to Bobcat now saying to only use their special hydrostatic trans. fluid after saying to use 10W-30 and then common hyd. oil for years. Komatsu must have a spec. sheet for the fluid to compare with other commonly available fluids.

crane operator

High-Heat Protection

October 31, 2019 / Tips & Best Practices
Specially formulated HO56-HE hydraulic oil helps solve oil degradation in hot environments
Using the proper fluids delivers bottom-line benefits, potentially increasing productivity and lowering operating costs. “Fluids designed to match the conditions you face offer the best protection, resulting in less downtime and extended equipment life,” said Bruce Gosen, Senior Product Manager, Komatsu Parts Marketing.

Gosen pointed out that Komatsu’s HO56-HE hydraulic oil is a good example. It is a zinc-based, anti-wear oil made from synthetic fluid, as opposed to traditional hydraulic fluids created from mineral oil. “This product is specially formulated to help solve oil degradation issues in hot environments,” explained Gosen. “It’s an ideal choice for equipment operating in desert regions or in high-temperature industrial facilities.”

Specific benefits of HO56-HE:

• It has outstanding cold-start performance and excellent resistance to oxidation at high temperatures.

• It is specially formulated to maintain viscosity range throughout the full life of the fluid.

• The fluid performs with greater efficiency to reduce fuel consumption and extend oil drain intervals.

• It prevents valves from sticking, resulting in less “reactive maintenance” downtime.

3_HO56_pail_3.jpg

“HO56-HE is more energy-efficient, so it can reduce overall fuel costs compared to conventional anti-wear hydraulic fluids,” said Gosen. “HO56-HE has the potential to last longer too, reducing downtime for routine oil drains.

“It’s compatible with most machines, so many companies can consolidate multiple hydraulic oils across their fleets, simplifying ongoing maintenance, which can lead to greater savings,” Gosen added. “We encourage anyone needing a high-performance hydraulic oil to contact their distributor for HO56-HE.”

2022-09-04 (2).png

Looks like its a synthetic iso 46 that's zinc based. As far as "compatability" the answer is "maybe". the top article is from- Kirby smith - my komatsu dealer- they are actually my grove dealer but have komatsu as their main line- they send me their magazine.

https://www.constructionequipment.c.../hydraulic-fluid-compatibility-raises-concern

But I don't own anything like that- you under warranty yet? from what it reads like they "suggest" a full flush if switching, but if you are talking about 5 gal in a 100 gallon tank, I don't think its going to hurt anything. In the backside of beyond in the darkest parts of the amazon- I'm betting they dump whatever is available in it and don't worry about the 3.4% efficiency gains.

Shimmy1

High-Heat Protection

October 31, 2019 / Tips & Best Practices
Specially formulated HO56-HE hydraulic oil helps solve oil degradation in hot environments
Using the proper fluids delivers bottom-line benefits, potentially increasing productivity and lowering operating costs. “Fluids designed to match the conditions you face offer the best protection, resulting in less downtime and extended equipment life,” said Bruce Gosen, Senior Product Manager, Komatsu Parts Marketing.

Gosen pointed out that Komatsu’s HO56-HE hydraulic oil is a good example. It is a zinc-based, anti-wear oil made from synthetic fluid, as opposed to traditional hydraulic fluids created from mineral oil. “This product is specially formulated to help solve oil degradation issues in hot environments,” explained Gosen. “It’s an ideal choice for equipment operating in desert regions or in high-temperature industrial facilities.”

Specific benefits of HO56-HE:

• It has outstanding cold-start performance and excellent resistance to oxidation at high temperatures.

• It is specially formulated to maintain viscosity range throughout the full life of the fluid.

• The fluid performs with greater efficiency to reduce fuel consumption and extend oil drain intervals.

• It prevents valves from sticking, resulting in less “reactive maintenance” downtime.

3_HO56_pail_3.jpg

“HO56-HE is more energy-efficient, so it can reduce overall fuel costs compared to conventional anti-wear hydraulic fluids,” said Gosen. “HO56-HE has the potential to last longer too, reducing downtime for routine oil drains.

“It’s compatible with most machines, so many companies can consolidate multiple hydraulic oils across their fleets, simplifying ongoing maintenance, which can lead to greater savings,” Gosen added. “We encourage anyone needing a high-performance hydraulic oil to contact their distributor for HO56-HE.”

View attachment 267519

Looks like its a synthetic iso 46 that's zinc based. As far as "compatability" the answer is "maybe". the top article is from- Kirby smith - my komatsu dealer- they are actually my grove dealer but have komatsu as their main line- they send me their magazine.

https://www.constructionequipment.c.../hydraulic-fluid-compatibility-raises-concern

But I don't own anything like that- you under warranty yet? from what it reads like they "suggest" a full flush if switching, but if you are talking about 5 gal in a 100 gallon tank, I don't think its going to hurt anything. In the backside of beyond in the darkest parts of the amazon- I'm betting they dump whatever is available in it and don't worry about the 3.4% efficiency gains.
I posted a link to that exact article a couple posts back. This machine I bought came from Kirby-Smith. It was purchased new by Strike. At 2000 hours, either they traded it in or the lease ran out, and they sent it down the road. My dealer, General Equipment, bought it after K-S opted out of putting it in their inventory. My service guys say that HO56 is factory fill for it, and there's nothing in the service records to indicate it's been switched over to AW46.

I'm not totally against this HO56, was just wondering what exactly it is, and if anyone else had any insight on it besides this one article, lol.