• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kawasaki 115ZV

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I buy material at NY Trap Rock, a Tilcon plant. In the past they've had all Cat equipment, but on my recent trips I've seen they are updating equipment with alternate brands.

They were running Cat 988s to load trucks, but on today's visit I saw a few Kawasaki 115ZVs. They look to be slightly bigger than the 988s and can load a tri-axle dump with 1 1/2 buckets.

What's unique about this machine is the operator has 2 pilot control joysticks for all operations. Right side operates boom and bucket, left is a point to steer stick with a toggle for gear selection. The cab is huge and has a wide front window, the operator's hands never leave the controls. The operation is very smooth and effortless, plus looks super efficient.

This is the first machine I've seen with these controls, is this becoming a trend?

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
That's really strange, because the Tilcon plant here just bought two (I think) of them as well. I noticed them a few days ago but have not taken a close look. Got to get a couple yrads for a parking tray to I will look today.

John Banks

Jesse, i'm assuming you're talking about the Tilcon plant in Danbury. We frequent that plant and last I saw they were running a new CAT that they only got recently, perhaps within the last year or sooner.

Steve, I haven't seen any of the dual joystick machines, but have heard about them. I belive Cat is also experimenting/working with the design for the larger loaders.

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
I was actually talking about the Waterbury plant as I have been working out in Southbury recently.

The Danbury plant is tiny, although they tend to have plenty of material.

I try to go up to New Milford when I can. Not Tilcon, but a good quarry, now that the Brookfield Quarry is closing.

John Banks

Would that be ASI in New Milford Jesse?

I like the native color of their stone, more so than the color of Tony's stone at Bethel Sand & Gravel.

We're building a new spec house in Bethel and instead of paving the driveway, I am going to use stone from ASI, mainly because of the color, and it will work well with the landscape of the house, since it's going to be a Nantucket Shingle Style home.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
O&G has an experimental 980H loader from Cat. It has the single boom and a computer will run the loader when you go to get a bucket full, just set the dial for the material and it does the digging. There are 10 of these in the USA right now being watched by Cat. 2 in CT by HO Penn/Cat. We only heard about them cause there looking for a spot for the second one and they might bring it to our operation, I'll know by next week and definally get some pics for you guys if it shows.

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
Yeah. ASI is the best in the area I think. A little out of the way but they have the best selection and quality is great.

I got 6 yards of nice clean sandbox sand from them the other day. Needed it for a Nursery School. This stuff was perfect.

I have used their stone for a few driveways I have done. It does have a nice native color, enough variation a good look without looking like a blend. Spread over a drive it looks realy good.

I find their prices to be pretty good as well.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
2004F550 said:
O&G has an experimental 980H loader from Cat. It has the single boom and a computer will run the loader when you go to get a bucket full, just set the dial for the material and it does the digging. There are 10 of these in the USA right now being watched by Cat. 2 in CT by HO Penn/Cat. We only heard about them cause there looking for a spot for the second one and they might bring it to our operation, I'll know by next week and definally get some pics for you guys if it shows.

Anything come of it? I understand the H-series is coming online this year, but as far as I could tell, it seemed it still had the parallel boom arms. Not sure if it was an advertisement error or if Cat scrapped the monoboom for the J-series (or I-series or whichever they decide is next).

Steve Frazier said:
They were running Cat 988s to load trucks, but on today's visit I saw a few Kawasaki 115ZVs. They look to be slightly bigger than the 988s and can load a tri-axle dump with 1 1/2 buckets.

What's unique about this machine is the operator has 2 pilot control joysticks for all operations. Right side operates boom and bucket, left is a point to steer stick with a toggle for gear selection. The cab is huge and has a wide front window, the operator's hands never leave the controls. The operation is very smooth and effortless, plus looks super efficient.

This is the first machine I've seen with these controls, is this becoming a trend?

Cat wheel loaders have had this type of control for a while, as kamerad mentioned. The 992D started with it; it spread to the 990F, 994D, and 988G. As of now, only the 988G and larger machines have the STIC control system.

Also, the 988G does compete in a similar market as the 115V. The 115V is probably more of a 988F-size machine than an 988G machine as the 988G has more horsepower and maximum bucket size. The 988G seems to have slightly better specs.

Last edited:

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
Got it the 1st week of december. Its a 980G, with an Acert motor, revised cab, and an auto dig feature. You are correct the boom is paraell. We have it until the end of this month, at which time we can buy it for a reduced price or send it back. Great machine, much more productive then our 966F's.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
2004F550 said:
Got it the 1st week of december. Its a 980G, with an Acert motor, revised cab, and an auto dig feature. You are correct the boom is paraell. We have it until the end of this month, at which time we can buy it for a reduced price or send it back. Great machine, much more productive then our 966F's.

Good purchase! I'm pretty impressed with Cat's craftsmanship on the 980. It's a good machine. Just curious -- did you get the free wheel stator? How does that work?

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Nice shot, Steve! Wonder how it's working out for them.

And that boom arm is interesting, too -- it's not smooth on top (smooth as in, it's not quite a smooth arc), which is definitely different from other designs out there.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've never seen a machine with such great visibility as this. The cab sits at least 8' up and I was taking this picture at an upward angle. You can see the operators waist in this shot, imagine what a view he must have! It's a pleasure to watch the operator load, there is very little movement in the cab and it looks as if it's effortless. I don't see the jerky motion either that I've seen with steering wheel loaders and as a result there is no material spilling off the bucket. I predict this will become the standard in controls for wheel loaders.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
yeah kawasaki is a good machine

I worked in the quarry that the company I work for runs for 3 years. All we've got in there is Kawasaki's. The visibility is GREAT from the cab, a lot of glass, and huge mirrors. The joystick steering is VERY nice. The stick only moves side to side to control turns. There was three buttons on the one I ran. Forward and reverse, a neutral button and one to shift into first gear for digging. They come with a four speed automatic but you can manually shift through the first three and then the fourth location is the auto position. When it's in auto it starts in second gear and goes up to fourth. But when you slow down to dig it goes back into second, then you punch the button and it drops down into first. The system is very nice to run, you don't have to lean forward to turn the wheel, or flick the directional lever you just sit back with your arms on the rests and go. The only trick to them is that in cold weather, because of the system it is it's VERY jerky for about the first half hour.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I was at this same quarry again today and saw a Komatsu WA800! They are running all different brands of equipment now where they were all Cat in the past. A few years ago the plant was bought by Tilcon, prior to that it was owned by Lonestar. Tilcon has been making the changes in equipment. They also have some Terex haul trucks now too. I'll try to get a shot of the Komatsu, it sure is big!!

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Thats interesting. I know at my quarry, if someone was to talk about bringing something in other than Cat, there would probably be a riot. This is not necessarily my opinion as I'm open to change but we have had good luck with Cat. They have been servicing this quarry for about 30 years. Interesting how it happens like that.

By the way, who makes Kawasaki?

komatsukid

Occupation
loader operator/plant forman
last year the company i work at hosted 4 loader manufacters at our pit, Cat loaders are what they were hooked on for along time, over 25 years. we had the chance to run john deere 844j, volvo L220E, komatsu wa500, and cat 980H. the owner ran all 4 machines, suprisingly he liked the volvo and the deere the best. i got to run the volvo against our 980 it preformed very well. the 980 we have is turned up and the volvo kept up rather well. id have to say that the volvo loader had the most operator friendly cab iv ever been in.

farm_boy

By the way, who makes Kawasaki?

CB.....Kawasaki actually makes their own loaders. They have Cummins and Izuzu engines, Kawi trannys and Kawi axles. They are assembled in Newnan GA.

we had the chance to run john deere 844j

Kid....Did you get a chance to operate the 844J? I was just wondering what your thoughts about it were if you did get the opportunity.

komatsukid

Occupation
loader operator/plant forman
i ran the 844j for a few hours this past summer, that loader is vary comfortable, has loads of power and shifts nice as well. the one we had did not have joy stick steer but it did have traction control, that was handy in a sandy situation. the control levers were pilot control like a 980g the hydraluics were fast too. the only thing i saw was it seemed like it was built alittle light, almost like a komatsu. this may have added to it being fast out of the hole.