• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I'm thinking 2003 or 2004. I'd have to get an old computer started up to be sure.

Natman

Just wondering: why the hooks AND the shackles on the Connex pick? I use just the right size shackles, I keep 4 onboard and pretty much use them just for Connex lifts, as the next size down or the next size up, won't fit. I'm guessing you didn't have that particular size but had the hooks?
I do Connex picks for a industrial contractor on his 20'er, used as a tool box, (15 K, lots of tools) and everytime I start to get out my "special" shackles and other rigging, he stops me and gets out his all in one , specialized just for Connex lifts rigging out, a 4 cable bridle with built in latch hooks. I always feel like I have to tell him I'd invest in the same but all the rigging I carry onboard has to perform multiple uses, and I only do about a dozen Connex lifts a year at most.

crane operator

With 8 cranes its just easier to grab the "connex hooks" and then live with whatever shackles are in each crane. I've looked at the lifting lugs that are made just to fit the holes, but they are kind of spendy and I know I would be missing the left one when I needed it.

I also see some guys rig from the bottom of the boxes, and not use a spreader bar and just let the rigging wrap the box. It would save dragging a ladder around. I've always just grabbed the top, then I'm not dragging rigging around the top edge of the box.

s-l500.jpg

crane operator

And since we were just talking about counterweights, there's a auction in texas this week. Its a bankruptcy auction, so I'm guessing the former owners don't want to help, but they are selling two all terrains, one tadano, one liebherr. They have been all over the map on how the counterweights are selling, and the current listings show the tadano selling with the full counterweight hanging, and all the liebherr counterweights selling with that crane. The liebherr shows no counterweight on it selling as its own lot, and then the cheek weights for both cranes selling together in one lot.

But its changed three times in the last week, so it might change again, but as it stands, someone is going to end up with weights they don't need, and someone else is going to have a crane bought with no weights.

https://cagp.industrialbid.com/lot-...561/Multi-Million-Dollar-Crane-Rental-Company

hvy 1ton

Have you seen these?
Inst%20Container%20Hook.jpg

crane operator

Everybody isn’t 7’ tall like you though
Ha- ain't my fault you quit growing early:)

How did the Goose axle turn out, or has it yet?

New axle ordered. Old axle had bearing race welded into the spindle. When the race came off, the race seating area of the spindle came with it. Supposed to be three weeks or so.

colson04

Nope, tires kept right on rolling, until the hub, tires, and all rolled off. Those look more like a brake locked up.

Bearing welded itself to the spindle on our hopper bottom. I wasn't driving it when this happened, but I was told it wasn't obvious until it was too late due to wet pavement. That's his story anyways.

crane operator

Well I bit the bullet and got a newer set of wheels to drive around. 2016 f-150, 140,000 miles on it. Got lucky and found a xl, which got me the cloth seats, no center console, and rubber floors.

And of course, its not perfect.

5.0 six speed auto, 4x4 with rear axle locker. No prior history on the truck.

Randomly driving down the road, I get a "rumble strip" vibration of about 2-3 seconds, then it goes away. Mostly happens at highway speed, doesn't seem to be caused by pavement imperfections, but does seem to happen mildy less often on a stretch of new asphalt near the house (but I'm not as fast there). Nothing seems loose in suspension or steering. Shifts fine, and doesn't do it when hitting deep dips or holes in the road.

I made a run to western kansas last week with it, and it was very frequent running 70-80 out in the plains. Maybe two times in every 5 minutes. Closer to home and less speed- maybe 5 times in a hour.

I thought originally bad struts/ rear shocks, but it handles fine. I've been reading and fixes are all over the map, but what seems likely is either torque convertor or rear axle.

My plan is drop pan on the transmission, full flush and I've ordered some "lube guard instant shudder fix". Also plan a rear axle drain and replace fluid and do a debris check.

Any other ideas from you guys that work on these every day?

Other than the "rumble strip" effect, seems like a good truck.

upload_2022-11-20_7-34-6.jpeg

colson04

I can't help on the shudder, but that's a sharp looking truck. A close friend of mine just bought a 2016 F150 yesterday. He doesnt have 100 miles on it yet, but I'll be listening to hear if he reports anything regarding a shudder.

That was dang close on the counterweight truck.