• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

3 more sewer system boxes, and it was even muddier than it was last time.

They had to drag all the empty trucks back out up the hill with a dozer. No weight on the drives and they didn't have a chance climbing back out.

Counterweight truck walked out, I had to lock in all the axles with the 100 ton but I was backing out, which puts the weight all on the front steer making the rear want to spin.

IMG_1919.JPG IMG_1921.JPG IMG_1922.JPG IMG_1923.JPG

crane operator

Spent 1/2 a day changing big units to the left on this building- and then "hey- we need these hoods all the way over on the other side". I really didn't feel like moving crane at 2:00 so "lets just swing over there and see if we can reach it". 139' radius. Sure beats moving crane.

Got a little work out of the carry deck too. They're moving these units off the ground because its prone to flood. Head room was a issue with the big unit so I broke out the center pick bar.

IMG_1933.JPG IMG_1934.JPG IMG_1947.JPG IMG_1936.JPG

Natman

I was going to ask about that bendy thing.... but I think I have it figured out! Roof overhang cheater bar?

crane operator

I was going to ask about that bendy thing.... but I think I have it figured out! Roof overhang cheater bar?

Skyking1 has it, its a c frame, this tub was on the lower deck but still 18' off the ground, and its a pain to try to rig them and just shove them off when they are under a upper deck. So the c just throats the upper deck or porch roof.

I actually have two of them, I have a heavy one we set a bunch of big rocks with under the overhang of a building, and I built this light one that's longer just for hot tubs. I'm going to redo the light one for hot tubs because it flexes more than I like. I'm going to do some thin wall 5" square I think. Right now its 2x6" and it twists up on the 2".

Hot tub was on the lower deck by the arrow. It actually came out the far side of the deck because the only opening that was big enough for it to go through faced toward the lake.

We have a 4 way spreader that hooks on the bottom of the c frame to hook the tubs short and to save on head height.

IMG_1910_LI.jpg

skyking1

shoving them off is not without a lot of risk, so that is a huge safety improvement IMO.
i have a suggestion on a new one. I would brace the C on the outside. Extend the vertical a little ways and add a gusset to the horizontal load arm. You will always have enough rigging to allow for it to stick down a little. you could scab plate out the lower arm more than halfway with triangular plates. That would stiffen up the lower arm, and you sure could do it on the upper too.

crane operator

The big one is all reinforce plated and doesn't flex. The small one doesn't actually flex at the 90 degree. The 2" side actually kind of twists and it bends along the whole beam.

crane operator

This was a little different glass lifter than I've ever used with a crane. All the other ones I have used had a battery vacuum pump, and all the cups are interlocked together. Then a little light would come on showing you had a stable vacuum pulled= safe to lift. This one just mounts in the hand held lifter cups and you hope for the best. I didn't care for the lifter. But it did work for all the glass.

It was a little breezy, so we flew the glass flat, after installing the frames. We averaged about 2 skylights per day, a couple days we didn't quite make that, with intermittent thunderstorms, and some out of square frame issues.

I rigged all the glass, had a signal man on the roof, and one of my operators in the crane. It went pretty well.

IMG_1973.JPG IMG_1978.JPG IMG_1984.JPG IMG_2003.JPG

crane operator

Compressor replacement with the RT.

House framing job, they wanted me to set where they added in some rock, and warned me it might be a little soft. We sat on the other side of the house.

You can see they've been using the forklift mast to push themselves around the jobsite.

IMG_1981.JPG IMG_1988.JPG IMG_1990.JPG IMG_1991.JPG

crane operator

Grove sent me a seal kit for outrigger on the tms500e. Not much seemed like the right seals in the kit, and the kit included no seals for the piston.

Off to the hyd. shop, they had all the seals but the hydro locks for the piston, but had them the next day.

Finished it up today so it would be ready monday.

I did get on the phone with the grove parts man, turns out the book I have and the computer system he has are both wrong, and my seal kit is for a non existent cylinder. Parts man got me the right number, is willing to exchange my wrong kit for the right kit, and I'm crossing out the incorrect numbers in my book. Of course, now grove will probably change the parts in the incorrect kit to match the incorrect number, and then I will still end up getting the wrong kit next time....

Also, the cylinder was a miserable bisterd to get apart, but its all back together.

IMG_2020.JPG IMG_2021.JPG IMG_2023.JPG IMG_2031.JPG

crane operator

Tore out old conveyor for concrete plant friday, put undercarriage under the new conveyor. They poured the new concrete late friday- we came saturday and installed the new conveyor. Unfortunately they got the pad poured in the wrong spot, so they were adding on to it, and doing some other modifying, so they could have the plant back up for monday.

IMG_2025.JPG IMG_2027.JPG

Welder Dave

Grove sent me a seal kit for outrigger on the tms500e. Not much seemed like the right seals in the kit, and the kit included no seals for the piston.

Off to the hyd. shop, they had all the seals but the hydro locks for the piston, but had them the next day.

Finished it up today so it would be ready monday.

I did get on the phone with the grove parts man, turns out the book I have and the computer system he has are both wrong, and my seal kit is for a non existent cylinder. Parts man got me the right number, is willing to exchange my wrong kit for the right kit, and I'm crossing out the incorrect numbers in my book. Of course, now grove will probably change the parts in the incorrect kit to match the incorrect number, and then I will still end up getting the wrong kit next time....

Also, the cylinder was a miserable bisterd to get apart, but its all back together.

View attachment 261032 View attachment 261033 View attachment 261034 View attachment 261035
Looks like the hyd. shop is clean like a surgery room in the hospital. They even wear scrubs.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Tore out old conveyor for concrete plant friday, put undercarriage under the new conveyor. They poured the new concrete late friday- we came saturday and installed the new conveyor. Unfortunately they got the pad poured in the wrong spot, so they were adding on to it, and doing some other modifying, so they could have the plant back up for monday.

Come on! I worked 45 years in a quarry and we never made mistakes! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! But can't say what has happened since I left!

crane operator

See that little doorway above the Broderson? We got to shove 4 beams through that, winching up one concrete ramp and down the other, with the largest two beams being over 4,000lbs and just over 40' long. What a ball of fun.

They got installed on the wooden deck built 12' over top of the lazy river water pool in the upper part of the indoor water park.

IMG_2044 (2)_LI.jpg IMG_2033.JPG IMG_2036.JPG IMG_2072.JPG

crane operator

The steel is making a ramp/ bridge from the upper level of the old building, to the walkway ramp down into the new building. I put my old freight cart up on the concrete ramp and we chain come a longed it up the ramp, and then let it down the other side. Engine hoists and toe jacks and skates to get them into place on the plywood floor, which is the form for pouring the concrete floor of the bridge.

IMG_2040 (1).JPG IMG_2041.JPG IMG_2042.JPG