• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

skyking1

agree that I would not be a fan of that glass rig. I was handling some 120 pound 1/2 tempered glass with two cup handles like that, and I had to pump one of them constantly as it leaked.
Take note of those covers. Anything will mess up those cups so they are protected at all times.
This is the power rig I worked with. Note the latch at the center swivel. We'd come out of the crate horizontally with the cups rigged barely off center up on the panel. The ground guy would lift on the panel and trip that latch, then I would line up smooth while they let it rotate to vertical.
Later we used half of that to set some tall skinny closures of raw edge glass.
IMG_20190216_084144_01.jpg

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The rock guys use about the same thing for handling slabs for countertops. My shop was in a building that had two halves. A countertop company was in the other side from me. We shared a fork lift at times and I helped them put rock on the big machine for cutting. The rock is stored on a side leaning against a rack. The owner of the rock company was there and decided to run the fork lift. I stood back while it was hooked up to the slab. He picked it up and started moving to the saw. Got close and started jabbing the control. I don't know if the vacuum bled off or the jostling shock loaded the slab, but that 4' by 8' slab exploded. I didn't know they were that fragile. I can only imagine the way glass would explode.

crane operator

Funny that previous page on installing hot tubs. Those still popular out that way? Because around here
the fad wore off a ways back.

Hot tubs are pretty popular. Lots of the buildings are weekend rentals, so the people staying don't have to deal with any upkeep. Get boozed up and jump in the hot tub.

The biggest racket is swim spa's. They are like a overgrown hot tub with big jets that you have to swim against the current. The real kicker is there's some kind of BS that the retired people somehow get medicaid to spring for it- as therapy from their doc. It will be some 14,000 square foot house and Uncle Sam is buying them their fancy hot tub. The swim spa salesmen all push the medicare angle.

crane operator

Got a funny report on the little broderson. The guys were out back of the shop using it, and it blew a radiator line- blown off literally and there was LP leaking into the hose that popped off. "Its making bubbling noises in the radiator".:eek:

Its got a vaporizer in the fuel system- its a gasoline or LP engine. Something has broken loose in the vaporizer and its bleeding LP direct into the coolant. I had them bypass the vaporizer and I've got a Impco knock off coming in the mail. The old one is a zenith and I couldn't find anything available like it.

Attachments

• IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 27

skyking1

haha I could totally see that happening with ~100 PSI gas available. I had never heard of that though. Those vaporizers are what makes LPG semi-safe and usable. That failure mode was the caveat :D
We had a camry that was totally reliable, but one day I smelled oil. The oil pressure sender had failed internally and it was squirting out where the wire hooks up. Fortunately it played onto the exhaust and alerted me, because it was not turning the light on and also probably never would. Talk about a catch-22!!

Natman

Years ago I had a 10 gallon propane tank's relief valve pop off while driving down the road, with it in the front seat of my little Toyota pickup as I had the bed totally full already. The seat seemed like a good place for it, being empty and with a belt to secure it, but it was winter, and it had been overfilled a bit in the cold, and the heat in the truck....you can guess the rest, obvious now! Luckily I'm not a smoker, and the release was only a second, but it scared the heck out of me and almost made me wreck, my helper was driving behind me and asked "what was that all about" when we got to the jobsite.

hvy 1ton

Didn't get a picture of it, but there was green AT in town yesterday doing something on the other side of a building. The counterweight truck was out front and it was a twin-steer Mack with a lift axle. Looked like very 'former oilfield.' Anybody got a guess on the company lime or fluorescent green boom and the truck was green and cream maybe.

crane operator

Wasn't me. I did help out a crane from kansas city today. They put in a bid on setting a cell building skid, I didn't bid on it because its a new site in a terrible spot, and I didn't really care if someone else did it. They sent a 45 ton boom truck down the night before, put the operator up in a motel, and didn't set it the next day- called me--- "its too steep we can't get in there".

I sent one of the guys with the galion and he pick and carried it down in there. The guy from kansas city bid it by looking at google maps satellite. He said "I wondered why we got that bid." Because anyone that looked at it didn't want to go in there.

I wouldn't have minded a twin steer mack for my counterweight truck, it helps a lot with our axle restrictions. They don't typically turn real well, and I didn't find one for a price I wanted to pay either.

crane operator

The liner puller I got for the western star was a piece of junk, it didn't last long and only got one liner started moving. I have a steel one on the way, this one was aluminum when it showed up- I wondered why it was so cheap.

Also got one of those special boxes with german parts in it. Rebuilding the 100 ton one part at a time adds up. This box is the electrical sensors for the carrier/ upper level readouts. My wife had me guess what it cost, I guessed $1,000 and it was $3,000.

We did the last two jobs with it not working, I just leveled with a hand level each way- I could have done that a lot more times for $3,000. But I'll say this, Liebherr had the parts on hand, and I had them in my hand the next day, and that's pretty hard to beat. But we set it up this morning with the hand level, and when I got the new box back in- we were right on the money. No school like old school.

IMG_2126.JPG
IMG_2116.JPG IMG_2124.JPG

crane operator

Spent the last couple days working on a cell phone tower (its camouflaged as a pine tree). They sent a email monday morning at 9:00 wanting a crane at 8:00. Since I can't time travel yet, and I was on a different job, I told them I could get there about 1:00, but I was going to look at it first (I knew where it was- I just wanted to be sure I could get in there).

We're blocking a road fully with the crane (no one lives on it- its a cut through gravel that you can go around each way) , so I called the county and told them about it so no one got upset. First day started at 1 in the afternoon monday- and it was hot. Them boys on the tower had to be cooked, but they stayed at it- I got back to the shop around 9:00PM. Day three was today, and we didn't even put them in the tree/tower. They were short parts that were supposed to show up, first thing in the morning, then at 12:00. We broke crane down and got it out of the road at 3:00 without the parts showing up.

I'm sitting right on the south side of the tower- and its a hot sunny spot right about noon. After that the boom shades me for a little bit, and then the trees in the ditch help out.

IMG_2106.JPG IMG_2107.JPG IMG_2108.JPG IMG_2115.JPG