• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

Finish setting poles and a big lam beam, then some of the trusses for the amish framers. It was kind of a poke back there, I was going to take the 35 because of the reach, but didn't think I could get it leveled up, so I just pulled stinger out on the 25.
20190620_095021.jpg 20190620_110851.jpg 20190620_111857.jpg 20190620_112257.jpg

crane operator

Spent friday and saturday setting steel back at the feed mill project. Building has some tall sidewalls. And of course, they set some of the tops of the columns 125' away. Liebherr will lay down though. 20190621_094314.jpg 20190621_095030.jpg 20190621_113008.jpg 20190621_160021.jpg

crane operator

It was parents weekend where my youngest is in columbia on sunday. So we made a little run up there to see her, and I made it a business trip by looking at a truck.

I'm thinking this ford set back axle 9000 as my support truck for the 100 ton. One more lift axle behind the drives, a little more frame, and a 22' flatbed. It would have enough bridge to haul all the ctw. and the rigging. Its heavy front, they don't have big steer rubber on it though- it does have the double steering boxes. 4.33 rears, 3406e with a jake. 10 speed eaton, hendrickson air ride. Nice tight truck and its got the wheelbase I need.

Would need new float steers up front and all new drive rubber, they have tread, but they are all weather cracked.

Youngest is done next weekend, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it and bring it home, when we go pick her up. Dmiller probably knows where this truck is setting at, its at a machinery yard right on I-70 by montgomery city/ danville. He's got trucks all over his yard, and some don't look too great, but this one seems to be okay.

Finished up the 1st half of the building today, its eventually going over the top of the white tanks also. They helped me stack the weights on the trailer, and I managed to get it over in the dolly in the other lot by myself.20190623_103953.jpg 20190624_113850.jpg 20190624_130652.jpg 20190624_165909.jpg

crane operator

Thought you dirt digging guys might like the looks of this trench. I think the site was all excavated, then backfilled with this rock and compacted. The whole hillside to the left is a rock wall.

All tied down and headed home.

20190624_122342.jpg 20190624_181006.jpg

Welder Dave

I like the look of the Aeromax Fords. It's too bad Ford isn't still making heavy trucks. I knew a guy that had a trucking company back in the day and he swore the Fords were the best trucks.

crane operator

I own one old ford, and have driven several others. They were a lot better trucks than the sterlings that came after, I think. Really with most trucks all you are buying is the cab- everything else is common- engine trans, rears. I have always liked the visibility of the ford cabs. For in and out of jobsites they are really nice. They are steel cabs, so they can tend to rust- and this one has some appearing at the rear window. They aren't a peterbilt, but I don't have a peterbilt budget.

He had a quad mack that was double frame, the newer cab, etc and it was really nice. But it was a $50,000 truck, and that's way out of budget.

crane operator

In other news, the Ford that will become a counterweight hauling flatbed, was purchased yesterday, and no- I don't have anymore pictures of it. I was driving it home yesterday, and blew one of the tires. It was hot, and the tires are weatherchecked, so it wasn't a total suprise. I plan on all new rubber.

But, I figured they would make it home just bobtailing, and then I could replace them here. We were going up there anyways with the wife's car, and then I could just drive the truck home. One tire had different plans.

So I'll have to go get it the first of the week, its probably two hours away. I think I'll just take the rollback trailer and drive it up on there, rather than replacing a tire and hoping the rest hold. Which is what I probably should have done to begin with, hindsight is 20/20 :rolleyes:. I thought they were good enough and I was wrong. Shows what I know.

Tugger2

The Liebherr looks good on the job. I notice the Rt running a manbasket on the 2 part block. Ive run that way myself for years,but recently working with another crane outfit,they would drop the block to single part every time the basket was rigged. Whats your thoughts on that procedure? Seems to me theres no harm in more parts as long as you can tie the basket off and the mans harness off right.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Know the guy in Danville, does not sell many too fast, was the price right? A friend could not touch any of the older junk he had for any decent money. Tires are just a wear item anyway, weather will get them regardless.

crane operator

Manbasket work is one of those area's that the regs are kind of vague, "no safer way" etc. We needed the basket to put the men on the top of the tanks for bag houses and the ladders. Is a self propelled manlift a "safer" way to get up there? I don't think its any "safer", its just different.

We had the cranes there, and the basket was just a pickup truck away, so we did manbasket work. You could make the case that building a scaffold to the top of the tanks is just as safe also:).

I'll run basket on a multipart, if we have a two part in and are going back and forth, but I'm not going to throw stones at how someone else wants to do it. If running ball, I like to tie the guys off on a cable and shackle to above the becket, but you can't do that on a block, so then they just tie off to the basket.

I gave $10,000 for the truck. I would have really liked to spend a little less, but I couldn't really find what I wanted, and if I did, they were $25,000- 38,000, and I'm just not spending that much $. So, not a super great deal, but I'm happy. I thought it was priced right for what it was and what it needs to fix it.

Its odometer says like 580,000 some miles, and I think that's legit. Its a really tight truck and runs really well. With the 4.33 rears and the short 22.5's on it- it runs real nice at about 57 mph, its no speed machine. It has enough wheelbase, heavy front, and 3406e, which I think should be a good engine. I like the low geared - it should creep around jobsites real well. I think the a/c was even trying to work a little- might just need a charge.

The jakes have something up with them, they come on, but they flicker on and off- I'm wondering if their solenoids are bad- that or the floormat is kind of shoved up around the throttle pedal, and it could be just pushing enough on the the pedal to make them go on and off.

New drives (probably go to 11r225 open lug) and either 315 or 385/425 float fronts. I think I'll test fit the floats (I've got a set of rims and tires around) and see what it does to turning radius.

I'm going back and forth between big flatbed and custom rack just for the weight. I think I can get the weight if I have just a rack on with its current configuration, depending on what the truck weighs. To do the flatbed - I'll add 5' of frame and a rear lift axle to get some more bridge. I need to first run the truck over the scale, and see where its at empty, and go from there. But to do that, I've first got to get it home.