• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

d9gdon

Your postman might object to that not being a regulation mailbox. Sometimes they get pretty offended.

I like it though. The kids driving down the roads with one in the back of a pickup with a bat will sure think twice.

It's big enough to make the flag out of an engine enclosure, heh heh.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Our rural carriers are independents. She won’t mind. It’ll save her trips to the porch with smaller boxes anyway. That and I only check it about once a week so she’s cramming $hit in there by Thursday!

Wes J

I would not put that heavy box out by the road. If someone hits it and gets hurt, you'll be on the hook. That's why they use wood posts and flimsy materials.

But, you could put it up by your building for package drop offs.

The Komatsu dealer here has an old truck bed tool box they use for drop offs and late night part pickups. They just give you a combination and your stuff is waiting by the gate.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It’s a four lane state highway with shoulders and a suicide turning lane. If they get all the way over to my mailbox it’s on them.

Wes J

It’s a four lane state highway with shoulders and a suicide turning lane. If they get all the way over to my mailbox it’s on them.

Sure. I just try to minimize my interaction with lawyers.

My dad's shop is on a small country road, 55 speed limit I suppose (it's not marked). His mail box was hit several times. It's a flat, straight road. Still got hit. And customers would back into it once in a while. He moved it to the other side of the road next to a 6' diameter oak tree and solved that problem.

Then people started hitting his sign. It's 10 feet off the road in the middle of the driveway. Again, flat and straight road. It was hit twice. I remember straightening it by heating with a torch and pulling the top over with an old wrecker we had.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I like it though. The kids driving down the roads with one in the back of a pickup with a bat will sure think twice.

That was my thought d9gDon, will definitely leave a mark on whoever decides is a handy target! Buddy of mine, nuclear welder on two lane back road county road, mailbox sits on a cut out five feet off road lost four, made the last from Schedule 80 SS sheet pipe rolled to 'appear' as a regular parcel box, been dented Once, pieces of ball bat everywhere, kid in close by town had two broken hands in E-room but would not say how got them(from the county cops), also has splinters and the car was mashed up from hitting the ditch I would imagine as the first kid screamed, his football days were done for being stupid.

hosspuller

Ahh- I see a swench in there. I've always wondered if they really work on a real stubborn bolt. I think the military uses them for track changes out in the field, I've only seen them on military surplus sales.

It's like using a rowing machine on the real stubborn bolts, but it IS cordless. :) Truly, it works well.

dirty4fun

Just mount it to a truck rim, with lugs sticking out buried under the ground. That way it will have some give, and when it tips over the rim and lugs will make it quite easy to find the vehicle that hit it. A nice trail of oil is pretty easy to follow!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I’ve been pondering a “breakaway” mount. I’ve got more work to do on it so maybe something slick will come to mind. Considering Cat yellow and cutting out the old Pac-Man logo to weld on it.

Or old school Detroit green with a little bottle of oil inside so it leaks properly! Haha

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I’ve been pondering a “breakaway” mount. I’ve got more work to do on it so maybe something slick will come to mind. Considering Cat yellow and cutting out the old Pac-Man logo to weld on it.

Or old school Detroit green with a little bottle of oil inside so it leaks properly! Haha

I put a 2"" pipe in for a mailbox post a number of years ago. Within a week I got a letter from the State Highway Dept that I had 5 days to remove it or they would remove it and I would be cited by the authorities. They cited chapter and verse of the code that said they must be wood of a certain size or less or a approved plastic alternative. They even sent me some sources to buy a plastic one.
On a better note I got to Junkyards shop in time to give his buddy some crap and carry one end of them wrench and socket boxes when Jeff showed up. He made a real score that day.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Mail boxes or at least mine get hit pretty regular around here especially in the winter.

Last track of how many times it got hit this winter, around a dozen! Mine is mounted on a wooden post in an old milk can and is free standing as down by the road the bed rock is only about eight inches under the surface. I think the wingman on the plow thinks he is doing me a favor by trying to clear snow away in front of the mail box.

I have got the habit of keeping a spare box on the shelf so when one gets smacked I can just remove the dented on and screw on a repaired one. A couple times this winter called highway department and complained and they came out one Saturday while we were out and mounted a nice new box and even mounted the number holder on the top. Thing is when we came home I went to check the mail and first thing I noticed was the fresh damage to the box then noticed it was not one of the repaired ones!

Yep they had replaced it and then the same day hit it! I called and thanked them for replacing it and then told them it had been hit again! Funny thing is despite a few snow storms since that time it was not hit again!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I find it interesting the conversations we get going on some of the most random topics :)

When I lived in MN my mailbox was on a swivel, the plow would have been half in the ditch to get it....it wasn’t so much the plow itself but the fact that they were frequently plowing the county highway at 40-50 MPH and the force of the snow would spin the box when it hit! Plus I could remove it when I came south for a break from winter ;-)

Raildudes dad

What a small world. When I was going to college I worked 3 summers for a local commercial / industrial painting contractor (owned by a couple of my cousins:) ) as a painter's helper. One of my fellow helpers was the husband of Gary Vermeers daughter Mary who is the chairman of the board today. Mary and her husband were both going to Calvin College here in town.
As for the mailbox post, the best one I've seen is a 10 inch pvc pipe painted flat black. I work for the county highway dept and our safety guy told him he had to remove that big steel pipe (which we assumed was filled with concrete) lol. It has never been hit that I know of. We typically don't care if the mailbox is bat proof ie some light gauge steel plate but the post needs to be breakaway. 10 inch pvc is okay.
My box and post got taken out this winter - 1st time in 10? years. I then use a 5 gallon bucket filled with dirt or gravel with a short piece of 4x4. From then on, no snow removal for the mailman, just slide the bucket out closer to the road :)

hvy 1ton

In the mid 70's my Dad put in a 8'x4" hedge post buried deeeep for the mailbox post. I'm almost sure it'd b/c he had a pile line posts sitting around and needed a post rather than than any sort of real planning. Since he put it up, he's lost 2 mailboxes to baseball bats, but there have been 4 piles of safety glass from somebody hitting the post and the rebound taking out a window.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Former boss had kids taking out his mailbox....

Welded up one from 1/4" plate, used a 2 1/2" heavy wall pipe for the post.

Cut the pipe in half, welded in a snowplow trip spring, added 6-8" spikes on it for good measure.

Lots of oil on the road first time it got ran over.....

Ed

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Former boss had kids taking out his mailbox....

Welded up one from 1/4" plate, used a 2 1/2" heavy wall pipe for the post.

Cut the pipe in half, welded in a snowplow trip spring, added 6-8" spikes on it for good measure.

Lots of oil on the road first time it got ran over.....

Ed

I’ve been pondering a breakaway setup of some sort similar to signs on the road. Other than my own driver running mine over years ago I’ve never had an issue.