• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

hvy 1ton

I don't trust myself with paint pens. I try to do everything with brightly colored zipties, but i'm also not taking apart 8 stack valve bodies. I had to cut the ones on the valve body off to retighten the ORB fittings.

IMG_20180511_164000.jpg

walkerv

I don't trust myself with paint pens. I try to do everything with brightly colored zipties, but i'm also not taking apart 8 stack valve bodies. I had to cut the ones on the valve body off to retighten the ORB fittings.

View attachment 181077
I use telephone wire from underground lines that accidentally get damaged but i remove them when done cuz it looks bad. What is your source for the zipties and how many colors are available

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
My problem will colored stuff is I'm colorblind lol. Only a few I can distinguish. I use old phone cable we dig up for marking wire when there's only 3-4 lines to mark. Beyond that I have to take pics and make marks. I have a couple really good paint markers that can withstand a shot or two of brake cleaner before the will start to run or fade.

In the past I've had to use a combination of colors and size to mark stuff so I could tell them apart ;-)

I couldn't believe how much fine material had packed itself between the sections of that valve. Lots of fun to get clean before I went back together with it.

Often times for me the simple act of marking things kind of burns it into my memory, short term anyway, so I seldom have to reference any marks to get it back together. If it sits long....all bets are off!

hvy 1ton

I use telephone wire from underground lines that accidentally get damaged but i remove them when done cuz it looks bad. What is your source for the zipties and how many colors are available

Home Depot sells a pack of 5 colors and 2 sizes for $10. I think it's 500 count. If you don't already have a set, get some flush cut pliers so the zip ties don't have sharp edges.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Home Depot sells a pack of 5 colors and 2 sizes for $10. I think it's 500 count. If you don't already have a set, get some flush cut pliers so the zip ties don't have sharp edges.
I got the colored ties at our NAPA dealer.

Another trick I have used was marking with a prick punch. One dot on nut of hose and one on the fitting, Two and two , three and three and so on. Works best on assemblies of six or less connections otherwise it can get tricky. But if there are different size connections each size can use the same pattern. And with the colored ties for the non-color bind if you need more selections double up on the colors, red and green, green and blue and so on.

And for those applications that are a bit cleaner and drier for wiring these work great:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-wire-marking-stickers/=1csu2aw

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
I know how it feels junkyard being color blind in the same I can't wire for crap hell I couldn't figure out on Sunday why my trailer plug wouldn't work on my truck my color blind butt wired it backwards I guess next time I will get my son out to tell what colors i have it's barley pop time

Bluox

Get yourself a number punch set and stamp your cap and plugs as sets and a air engraver to scribe numbers on valve bodies, won't wash off.
Bob

Reactions: DB2

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Got the pony fixed. Turned out to be the PIP sensor in the distributor. Essentially a Hall effect sensor, actually two in there. One for spark and one to fire injectors. It was quicker and easier to replace the entire distributor as you have to disassemble it to change sensor. $90 and I'm back in business. Can't complain after 24 years!

Wes J

Is that similar to the "ignition module" used on the old 300 6 cylinder? Had a bad one leave me walking once.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I did the module and coil while I was there. Original to the car as well. This sensor was like a magnetic trigger or pickup in the distributor. It just tells the module and fuel system the motor is turning and it's ok to spark and fire injectors.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Nice looking trailer. Tilt?

No it doesn't tilt. It belongs to my second father (easiest way to describe the bond and association). He bought it several years ago when we were managing all the vintage cars. We got tired of using the 42' three car stacker to run a car to the paint shop.

When we loaded it at Quiktrip a guy watched us, he walked over and said that was the fastest he's ever seen anybody load a dead car. We laughed and told him we've had way too much practice!

terex herder

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic

ETER

It seems like a combination of coloured zip ties, steel punch letter/number sets for match marking, an engraver for parts that will end up in the parts cleaner (also for marking tools) and taking pictures for reference are needed for a "short term memory" that seems to be getting shorter.
Regards Bob