• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

d9gdon

Too late when it started coming up...should have gassed it to get in the ditch and ricochet off the bank or at least stall in the grass. I knew those brakes weren't going to hold when it went backwards. I don't think the driveshaft went until he stopped and tried to go again.

Looks like a D9N?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
He must have had no brakes on the trailer...how else could the truck have gotten that far up the hill with only the drives and yet slid backwards like that?

Used up all available safety margin and then some.

hvy 1ton

A big part of why he started sliding back down the hill is static vs dynamic friction. Same thing would have happened if he spun out. I didn't see any tire smoke from the trailer. The trailer not having any brakes wasn't helping, but I'm not sure it would have mattered if they were working.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've been in some pretty good binds like that over the years. Now I know how it'll go down! I bet they needed a new seat and he's headed to the Dr to get that one removed!

terex herder

I got in argument with my dad years ago. I told him he needed to go west on US 400. He tells me it doesn't exist. I tell him i'm looking at a sign for it. He tells me he's looking at his road atlas of KS and there is no US 400 and there is no highways west out of Wichita. He bought a GPS not too long after that.

ROTFLMAO!

In 2005 my wife and I were headed from Junction City, KS to Marshfield, MO (SW corner Missouri). (My wife is still driving the Chevy Astro we bought from Marshfield) We were going south on US 77. When we got to what we thought was east of Wichita, we ran into a wonderful road that wasn't on our 1994 atlas! It went east, and we were headed east, so we took it. Turned out it was US 400, constructed as a super 2. At that time it was probably the best road in the whole state.

We quickly bought a new atlas.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
KS road signage always sucked in the past and currently. Was on a road trip with the wife some years ago, got into Eldorado KS and missed the turn of US54, the damn sign indicating the turn was thirty feet from the intersection. Had not changed from when I lived Ft Scott forty years prior!!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Rainy day in Joplin. Managed to finagle a rig and my truck under cover so I could swap a tilt cylinder. Have a punch list on this rig. It'll most likely finish my week out.

IMG_0163.JPG IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was just gonna say looks like plenty of mud rock and oil as well tight quarters to have all that I there.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Sad thing is that machine spent a day on the washpad! That yard turns to $hit when it rains. That limestone gravel has been pulverized over the years so it's a soupy mess on days like we had. When it's dry the dust like to eat paint and any polished surface.

I was told today that machine is my winter project. Complete rebuilt from the rotex up.......

f311fr1

You know a good hard chrome shop could weld up, bore, hone, and hard ghrome the ID of the rotary joint with the gouges. We used Housners in Madisonville, KY

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
You know a good hard chrome shop could weld up, bore, hone, and hard ghrome the ID of the rotary joint with the gouges. We used Housners in Madisonville, KY

I'll look into them. We have been discussing getting that repaired and how to go about it. All of the 3100 hour meters have turned over at least once if not twice. There aren't really any easy hours on them!

crane operator

I looked into getting a swivel repaired like that. We ended up getting it cleaned up enough with a hone, but it was close. I think yours is too far gone for a hone.

What I had decided to do instead of rebuilding mine was to just make a new barrel. Its just like a cylinder barrel, with holes bored into it and fittings welded on. Yarborogh in springfield was going to make it for me. I thought we could bore the holes, weld the fittings, then give it a rebore and hone just to make sure the welding didn't change interior dimensions.

My old boss in iowa had two hard chromed to try to hold the air pressure portion of the swivel, and he told me it didn't work out for them.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
We shall see. The swivel is one of many parts up there. Running the overhead today. Motor is down on power. Feels down on compression to me. It may get an inframe. New pumps, plumbing yada yada. It might be an out of service rebuild or it might get a part here or there......

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I know it is hard to weld(preheat required) and a bugger to machine but high chrome content or high nickel even stainless 400 series steel pipe could be choices for a new barrel. All will require machining After the welding is done to remove the distortions in the barrel.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Boys and girls I have a cautionary tale for you. I was working on the big IMT 220 today resealing the kelly winch drum. Remove drive motor then plate with the brake on it. I had bars on the ground and slack in the cable. Spun the last bolt out and before I could even react I was wrapped up in my air hose and slammed against the drive motor I had hung up out of the way. It folded my arm like a pretzel. Had the crane not been supporting the brake and plate I believe it would have landed on me. I was on the ground before I knew it. I have no idea why it had that much tension on it.....

So the moral is no matter how much you prepare or how many times you've done something it'll bite you in the a$$ when you least expect it!

Picture doesn't do it justice. It hurts like hell and I'm damn lucky it didn't break anything. It's swollen pretty good as I sit here typing and enjoying my second barley pop. Stay safe guys!!!

IMG_0186.JPG