• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Hey Junkyard, We need to make a run to San Antonio, Texas, sometime in mid to later May. Thought we would try to stop by. Hope to be on the bikes, weather permitting. Deb will drag her camping trailer. I will have to cuddle with the reptiles in a ground blind.

I don't see any reason we won't be around. I haven't taken any days off since I was up there. Once you have a rough idea I'll plan a day or two off. I'll show you around our little slice of heaven haha

crane operator

I think the 220 has close to 200' of 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 no spin cable. I've seen them creep a little but this mofo came unwound like one of those cars you roll backward and let go. I've got a call into the super duper IMT tech I know to see what I can do next time.

That big cable is part of the problem, it has a lot of residual tension- it wants to go back to flat/straight (and you have it wrapped around a drum). And it being rotation resistant cable makes it worse, it holds much more tension in that situation than a standard cable.

Do you know which rotation resistant cable it has on it? I usually use 8x19 rotation resistant, rather than 19x7. The 19x7 is super stiff, its hard to reeve/becket and it doesn't like to multipart either. It also easier to damage. The 8x19 is also a rotation resistant- not as much as a 19x7, but its much easier to work with, and we are always changing parts of line, block in and out, jib on and off etc, so its easier to deal with by hand. The 19x7 is just so much stiffer. They actually don't even recommend 19x7 for multi parting, because it doesn't deal well with cycle work in a multi sheave block situation.

There's some newer more exotic stuff they make now too (swaged/ different wire and wire counts), and I don't know too much about that stuff, but I've done a lot with the 8x19 and 19x7. If it's multiparted all the time, just a old 6x37 or 6x19 is much easier to work with, and its much more durable, but they will twist a block up with loading/unloading weight, and you probably can't deal with that inside the mast. But they certainly won't unload like a rotation resistant.

200' wouldn't be that hard to deal with, hook a truck onto the becket and drive/pull it out. Put the truck in neutral and drag/power it back for tension on the winch when done (wind it nice and straight and seat it- I hate a messy drum). But you certainly don't want to deal with 200' of 1 1/2" by hand.

Do they run multipart lines up on the derrick pulling the head in and out? or is it just single line all the time?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It's basically one part. Winch is down in the boom/mast area. It goes straight up, over the two pulleys on the horse head and straight down to the bars. I just looked up an old invoice for cables. 311' of 1-1/8". Doesn't tell me what the wire count is on there though. Somewhere I have a chart that tells us what to use.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
It's basically one part. Winch is down in the boom/mast area. It goes straight up, over the two pulleys on the horse head and straight down to the bars. I just looked up an old invoice for cables. 311' of 1-1/8". Doesn't tell me what the wire count is on there though. Somewhere I have a chart that tells us what to use.

Do you use a swivel on the single line cable or just hook the becket direct without a swivel? Hooking direct will often store a lot of torsional energy from the twist in the cable. Forty five years ago we used to take the swivel off on occasion for some at capacity single line picks. It kept the line from unraveling with twist on a near maximum line pull lift as long as you held the load from spinning. You had to be very careful when pulling the pin on the becket afterwards

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
It's got a swivel because the bars turn around the cable. On occasion when we un-pin from the bars the cable will have a turn or two of tension in it.

I'm almost certain it was the natural tendency of spin resistant cable wanting to flatten out. Never dreamed it would have been that crazy!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Just got done at the doctor. Nothing broke just some tissue damage. Put me in a little compression brace to keep it from getting hurt worse. Wants me to come back Friday just to make sure it's still good then I'm released. Not like I'll take off from work until then lol.

td25c

That brings back memories when my 6 year old boy broke his arm .....

Ran to his bedroom & backed himself in the corner ....

Went in to check on the situation and he was yelling " stay away from me & don't touch my arm ! "

Now sonny .... This aint a barroom brawl ... Step out of the corner so I can look at your arm . LOL !:D

That's about the time ya realize it's broke & trip to the Doc's office .:)

Last edited:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Those darn kids do silly things. Other than fingers and my skull I've never fractured anything. They were worried the blow to my head would affect me.

I told them that $hit don't affect me much
Affect me much
Affect me much
Affect me much.....

Squirrel!!

What were we talking about? :) :cool:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Those darn kids do silly things. Other than fingers and my skull I've never fractured anything. They were worried the blow to my head would affect me.

I told them that $hit don't affect me much
Affect me much
Affect me much
Affect me much.....

Squirrel!!

What were we talking about? :) :cool:

I don't remember. o_Oo_O

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Never broke a bone in over 68 years, did get a "separated shoulder" injury when I got t-boned while on my bike. About the only other thing close to a broken bone was when I broke off half of one of my front teeth doing a face plant in driveway last year.

Talking about kids I recall a story about my older brother who when he was 4 or 5 falling out of swing. He got up and said "I'm OK" but then as he seemed to be in pain parents took him to doctor who found out he had in fact broke a leg and was walking around on it! And some people think he is the smarter brother!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Small list, Hit by a car at three, always and forever missing the top step at Grandma's and roll tumbling down her stairs(second to first floor) until moved at 9, hand caught in a wood jointer at 17, same hand tried to hack the little finger away with a corn knife at 11 from palm side, Great Aunt sewed that up wiith a quilting needle and Alum, tied the tendon back together to make the finger work with darning needles, rolled a VW at high speed at 16(my own!), took a 3/4" cold chisel to left eye in '87, fell off a Frt Lnr cabover '77 landed back first on blocking cribbing, do not remember that landing think I stuck it. Thrown from dirt bike, was that three or five times? Dropped a '78 Yamaha 650 at 45mph on rain wetted pavement, decided my Ass was getting too warm tried to stand up, hard to keep the feet moving rolling at 40mph, was still wearing the back brace from '77.

Had a tractor on jacks crawled under jack I was at decided to leak off, almost got me. Have had cribbing pop out and hit me in the head, have almost passed out from heat prostration changing tires outdoors in mid August in MO in a quarry, only had twelve to r&r, I may have forgotten some, seems mind is not as sharp as used to be, Hmmmm.

Did you hear something? Sounded like,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Oh Yeah.......... SQUIRREL!!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well I was only mentioning broken bones! If I started a list of cuts and car/motorcycle wrecks now that would be a different story! So far the jointer hasn't got me but twice got a good whack at a finger with a table saw! DMiller mentioned a 1978 650, wonder if that is the one I have on the lift right now a couple signal lights have a major flat spot on the side!

Worst motorcycle crash I did that was my fault was on a little 60CC Bridgestone this dumby was playing slalom racer with the dashed lines down the center of the road at 50 mph and found out why those hinged foot pegs would have been a good upgrade to the ridged ones on this bike. After a few tumbles I looked back to see upside down bike coming at me. We both stopped sliding before impact. Picked up bike and road it home. My story for years was that some animal ran out and I swerved to miss it. Hard to believe that all I got was some very bad skinned knees and elbow.

One thing that almost pi$$ed me off is my helmet did not even have a scratch on it!

Junkyard, sorry to get all OT on you! Glad you had doc check it out and no major damage although the soft tissue damage can often hurt worse and take longer to get back 100%

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Well I was only mentioning broken bones! If I started a list of cuts and car/motorcycle wrecks now that would be a different story! So far the jointer hasn't got me but twice got a good whack at a finger with a table saw! DMiller mentioned a 1978 650, wonder if that is the one I have on the lift right now a couple signal lights have a major flat spot on the side!

Worst motorcycle crash I did that was my fault was on a little 60CC Bridgestone this dumby was playing slalom racer with the dashed lines down the center of the road at 50 mph and found out why those hinged foot pegs would have been a good upgrade to the ridged ones on this bike. After a few tumbles I looked back to see upside down bike coming at me. We both stopped sliding before impact. Picked up bike and road it home. My story for years was that some animal ran out and I swerved to miss it. Hard to believe that all I got was some very bad skinned knees and elbow.

One thing that almost pi$$ed me off is my helmet did not even have a scratch on it!

Junkyard, sorry to get all OT on you! Glad you had doc check it out and no major damage although the soft tissue damage can often hurt worse and take longer to get back 100%

There is no OT to me! I love stories. I spent a good bit of my 4th grade year in and out of the hospital. First trip was a golf club to the head, 10 stitches. Next was a finger in the bicycle chain. Stitches and a severed tendon. Third was falling out of a tree house, fractured skull, concussion and a nearly broken shoulder. The fourth and best was two fingers in a lawn mower. My old man chewed my a$$ up one side and down the other!!

There have been a few others. When I farmed in MN I was up on the junky old grain dryers we had trying to keep them going. Climbing down I missed a step and knew if I fell I'd catch all kinds of sharp stuff on the way down. I pushed myself off and fell about 12-13' on to frozen ground. I was out instantly. Woke up a bit later, not quite froze to the ground but close, and pulled myself up and slid over against a tractor tire. Neighbor drove by and thankfully stopped thinking it didn't make much sense for me to be lounging like that. A trip to the doc, another concussion but nothin broke. Same shoulder I landed on when I was 8 was black and blue for several weeks.

About 12-13 years ago I was dismounting a 425 steer tire. Somebody yelled my name so I relaxed and it laid back over to the ground. Problem with that was it was about 3" farther to the ground that my arm was long holding the tire iron. POP!!! Goes the same shoulder I had landed on two other times when I was a younger man. So needless to say I have issues with that one!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Some will pick up on this, went to grab cab step handles, 79 K100C, arm kinda went between the tubes and the cab, not really holding anything I fell off the cab step. Next thing I realize my shoulder hurts, my hand is facing the wrong way, I am standing on the ground and two guys are trying to unhinge my arm from the grab handles. Old man I ran with knew I had a previous dislocate, he looked at me I shook my head yes and he rolled it back in. I will admit it here and now I pizzed myself. Did quit hurting so badly.

Wes J

Reminds me of a sign that used to hang in the hardware store when I was a kid.

Picture of a mangy looking dog.
Text says something like: "Lost dog. Blind in one eye, 3 legs, missing one ear, recently castrated. Answers to 'Lucky'"

That was way before the internet, so I don't know how they got that sign.