• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere Engine Codes

partsandservice

I am working on a JD 648GIII skidder. the code F 536 does not show up in any of my ref. material. Can anyone help me with this code definition. It has the tier three egr engine. Thanks

partsandservice

Thanks Tool King. That sensor is located in the air intake and is a two wire
sensor and should b,e easy to run down. Thanks again.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
That is great that you found the problem .Where you able to delete the code in your skidder?

partsandservice

I was not able to clear the codes. I do not believe it is possible with the monitor on this model with out the service advisor program. However, the code(s) went inactive after the repair as I no longer have the service warning light on. I found a similar wire proplem to the fuel temp sensor (f424). WIF sensor(f410). After rebuilding this engine I also had F 435, pump position sensor. It could also be called a cam sensor I guess as the idler gear and the cam gear are the same size and the sensor picks up on notches on the back side of the idler gear. To fix this code I had to tear down the front of the engine because I did not realize the idler gear had to be timed on the first go round. I have built two other 6.8 egr engines but did not have to have block work on the others so I did not have take down the front gear train. I did it like the old engines and timed the cam with a string and dropped in the idler gear. I will not make that mistake again.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Does your monitor just have a select button or four little button menu,back,next and select? If it does have one select button you need a laptop with software like pockett fleet dianose and interface with nine pin deutsch plug .If it has four buttons .Hold down the menu button and turn key on or hold menu and next till service menu shows up than you can clear codes.Call me on my cell at 1-201-832-1606 on Saturday can better explain this to you.
THANKS
ED

Last edited:

Drifter

You don't have to delete the code. Once you fix the problem the code becames stored. Deleting it does nothing.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
If you leave the codes stored you will not know when they were stored if machine fixes itself.Just delete them and start fresh.

Drifter

I have never been to a machine with out stored codes. Deleting them does nothing. Newer monitors tell you at what hours the codes set anyways. Service advisor will tell you the hours as well.

partsandservice

After returning to woods I am getting more engine codes and derate. F560, F528 which I have no description for. And F435,F438, and F437 these are related to the position sensors, one saying no signal from crank position and I believe the other two are a result of the first. Thanks in advance for your help. Oh yea, F475 which tells me the the engine is derating, just not the circuit at fault specifically.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Drifter you are correct with the new monitors.But on the old monitors their no way to read codes .If they happened and got stored with out a laptop.Plus when you don't have service advisor or latop wth you in the wood .It is no help.

Last edited:

partsandservice

got the engine position codes resolved, and found the wire I solderded on the turbo inlet temp sensor had come loose. I fine with the codes only going inactive, I just want it to pull wood. I have investigated getting service advisor in the past . The john deere dealer would not sell it to me and the other option was order the program out of asia I believe. Has anyone heard of this?

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Pocket Fleet Diagnose works with John Deere equipment.This what I use .Works good on all types of equipment and trucks . You need a interface like a Nexiq Magikey or USB Link .With laptop or tablet .I think their is a smart phone app for it also.What is the software program that you said is out of Asia?

partsandservice

It is service advisor. But I did not order it because I was not confident that it was legal. Did not know if it was pirated or not. They do claim that it does not expire, but I am sure it could not be updated. Think I am going to try the Pocketfleet, it does not seem to be overpriced and would work with cummins and cat.

partsandservice

Tool King , it says your pm is full so I was unable to send. Got to the bottom of the F528 and F560 . they were related to the VG turbo position. the Vg fins were stuck cause a position code and a derate.

equip guy

Occupation
Ag and Construction Equip mechanic
Parts and service do you have the operations and diagnostic tests book or CD?? for that skidder or were you referring to the code list reference in the operators manual ?

partsandservice

equip guy, I have operations and diagnostic cd for 648GIII. But it does not cover this engine, it covers the next level down which I believe would be called a teir two engine. I also have ctm 331 which covers the common rail feul system with electronic injectors but does not cover the VG turbo. The F528 and F560 codes related the turbo fin position. I found the the vg part of the turbo stuck. I removed the linkage from the control/sensor and found it not to be locked up, however the other side was. Replaced turbo with a used unit I had and it went to work. The turbo had been replaced by the dealer a couple of days before I got in on it. I have not had a chance to disassemble the almost new turbo, but I think I am going to find pieces of the number four piston that the top came off of. By the way, this dealer had put three turbos on this machine in less than a week. as well as six injectors and a high pressure pump trying to make it run right. The final conclusion was that the customer needed a new engine. The customer only paid for one turbo. Normally a engine rebuild by me would require a new turbo or rebuilt turbo, we tried to let this slide because the turbo was so new and there was no visable damage to the turbine part and the turbo cost over 3 grand. I got the clean up job on this one but work is work and with mouths to feed I will take it without any of that" you should have brought it here first" stuff. On a side note, JD specs call for valve lash to .014 IN and .018 exhaust which is the same as the 12 valve engines. These engines are dropping valves left and right and when new or set to this spec I can hear noise on the top that makes my skin crawl, cause I know that valve drop is coming. All of these engines that leave my shop are being set to .010 IN and .014 EX . All that clack noise going on between the bridges,rockers, and valves is gone. The engines now sound like thay should.

Last edited: