• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere Engine Codes

equip guy

Occupation
Ag and Construction Equip mechanic
I know what you mean about work and mouths to feed. Is this the same engine you had a lttle while ago with the "fuel wash" problem with a few of the cylinders? I got that same D-Tac bulliten of the rusted VGT's. Do you know if they recalibrated the actualtor when they replaced the turbo? You would hope they would, but with so many parts swapped out in desparation you never know. The turbo can get screwed up instantly if they didn't do it before powering up as I'm sure you already know. Is the tier II in the 04-06 year? if so I might have that CTM for that engine. Actually It covers the 4 and 6 cyl engines. I can check the application guide tomorrow to see if that applies to your set up. If so I'll set you up for what ever you may need. Also let me know what level number for the system. Also I too had valve problems with one customers engine, I set the valves the same as you did. I just posted my problem for an actuator communication error on the agricultural equipment forum, should have posted on shop talk. Check it out and let me know your thoughts. Thanks

partsandservice

Equip guy, This is the same type engine but not the same engine. Not having good access to JD literture I am not sure what level I need, but I will try to find out. Thanks

equip guy

Occupation
Ag and Construction Equip mechanic
partsand service, I looked in the shop and found the engine manual for that machine (direct drive right?) I also just ordered today a CTM fuel system book (level 14 4 valve w/denso pump). Cost me 150 bucks! Anyway if that will help you too let me know what info I can get for ya to help with your project. Good luck.

random_farmhick

Pocket Fleet Diagnose works with John Deere equipment.This what I use .QUOTE]

Have a question about this I havnt been able to get answered, you say this works on John Deere equipment, now does this work on just the engines, or will it work on tractors to read transmission codes also? I want to find something for my buisiness that I'm trying to get going. Thanks

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
random_farmhick
Does you tractor have a nine pin Deutsch .Than it hould work.It will read trans codes if you set to read them .It will work with both the engine and other module controll items . I have used on excavators,wheel loader and bulldozers also on Case equipment and other brands. I have not had the chance to test on John deere tractor.What model tractor do you have ? I will see if someone around here has one that I can test it on.

Last edited:

random_farmhick

What I plan on working on does have the nine pin on it. I'm looking everywhere from like the 8100's to the new 9r tractors. I'm lookin at getting an independent repair shop going and dont want the new technology to slow me down. I also really dont want to spend alot of money on something that will not work. If you could check on a tractor for me that would be excellent, Just try it on like a 6220 or newer first. Thanks

kevinc1650

Is there anything that will work on the 4045 - 4.5 J/D motors? Its has the hook up on the engine. I work for a rental company and it gets old trying to get J/D out every time to see what wrong with the engine. Just asking.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Hi Kevin
Pocket fleet will work on John Deere 4045 engine .I have good luck with it working on gensets,backhoes and so on.Please call me tomorrow at 1-201-832 -1606 work cell. I can better help you over the phone with info on this .What kind of machine is this engine in?Also what rental company do you work ?
THANKS
ED

deereman1285

I have a 2005 JD 450J LGP Dozer. I am getting an F465 error code, intake manifold temp voltage too high. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? it does this intermittently, sometimes on a cold start, warm or not at all occassionally. Sounds like a loose wire to me but wanted to see if anyone else has ever had the same problem before running it down. Also where is this sensor located?
Thanks in advance

carmat2412

Hi, i have the f475 service code on mi backhoe 410g, can somebody help me? In the manual say temperature fuel high voltage input, and the motor engine is derating what supoused i have to do?

AndrewC

Fuel temp sender is on the injection pump. Its a two wire connector. Not the big connector but the smaller one. Check wiring and ohm check your sender. Supply voltage is 5 volts. Id assume a short in the wiring/ sensor and ecm is seeing 5 volts on return setting code.

carmat2412

Thanks andrew, I'll check, now for some reason get 3 codes more F42A, F420 and FAA3 not came out before the mechanic says the damage is in the motor controller, but I mistrust, because it makes me and change many parts and nothing, for example engine thermostat and Injection pump, ignition, etc. What does this new codes means?

AndrewC

F42A and F420 are throttle codes. Check wiring in cab but good chance the throttle sensor is failed. Faa3 is a can code for monitor. Usually failed monitor. Which ones are active? If its just the first one then I wouldn't worry about the rest. If the throttle is working then good chance then the first two are stored

carmat2412

Thak you AndrewC

the FAA3 always came and went, but always monitor functioned normally, the codes F475 (to change the thermostat and nothing) F42A and F420 are new, the machine turns on but does not accelerate smoothly, where is the throttle sensor?

the machine is far away, but tomorrow morning I'll check the thermostat wiring and throttle, any other tips or precautions to take

partsandservice

Not to likely the controller. The controller has to have to power sources , un switched and switched to come on. Also if the controller is producing codes then it is operational. I would suspect engine harness issues. Check the plug to the controller make sure all female connector are good. You can take a pick and tighten them up . If the controller is not powering up that would create a can code to the monitor but this can also happen if the voltage drops below 9 volts. Also check the can termination resistor it should measure 120 ohms.

Last edited:

AndrewC

Carmat- there is no code related to engine cooling. It is a fuel temp code on your injection pump. There is nothing wrong with the tsats or the engine coolant temp sensor.
I also dont think its your controller failing. Those ecus weren't the best but when they failed it was usually because you couldn't clear the engine coolant temp code- which you dont have!
If you have this many codes and you confirm it is in the wiring. I would recommend an engine harness as they are cheap and easy to change.
For the can code it wouldnt be a bad idea to pull the toolbox and clean your battery terminals.
The throttle sensor is on the throttle pedal

Joeygoss

Occupation
Logger
Fault codes 903,480,and 475 are showing up on my 648 G111 skidder. It wont hardly go and makes a squealing sound sometimes. Ive replaced the turbo but did not fix the problem.

Drifter

Anyone know what a service code of 478 would be on a JD 648 giii skidded.

It is injection pump current decay time invalid.
Code will set if ECU detects high resistance in the injection pump solenoid.
Check wiring to injection pump. If it's good change the injection pump.