• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 690ELC Excavator Instrument Panel Unidentified Warning Light

S.Moore

Hello, I have a John Deere 690ELC Excavator and there's a red warning light on the instrument panel that I can't identify. It's a hydraulic warning symbol but I'm not sure what it specifically means. It only comes on when the oil is cold and the hydraulics are under moderate to heavy load. It stops after a few minutes of operation and won't come on again until the hydraulic oil is cold again, usually the next day. I assume it's warning me of high viscosity, but I can't find the symbol referenced in any of the manuals I have or google searches I've tried. Reverse image search didn't work either. I've posted a picture of it here. Anyone know what this specific warning is? I'm using 15w40 motor oil for the hydraulic fluid. The ambient temperatures here are usually in the upper 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

-SM

PXL_20220321_224415428.jpg

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
That is the hydraulic filter restriction indicator. It either needs to be replaced, or the switch is getting too sensitive, or your oil viscosity is too high or the oil is too cold.

Last edited:

S.Moore

Thank you! It's been driving me crazy that I couldn't match that icon with anything. The filter is about 600 hours since replacement and the oil was drained and replaced then. It makes sense the viscosity is probably on the upper end of the range with 15w40 and a few cold mornings.