• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 310 SE Project

boone

Hey Boone, Love the posts. I havent been on here regularly for some time. I just bought a 1999 310 SE as well. 2300 original hours. Was kept inside all its life. I am just beginning to start to use it but looking for advice on lots of things so I enjoy the posts.

Sounds like you got a nice low hour machine. Got any pictures of it? Mine is the exact opposite...sat outside the last 23 years. I'm surprised some parts of it look as good as they do. Looks like there are a few 310 SE owners on the board which always help.

EDIT: You beat me to it...that's a beefy machine. Cool! I've looked mine over for leaks while I have all this apart. I'm replacing the water pump while I have it off - it was fine and not leaking, but while I have everything apart...

Fred from MO

Occupation
Engineer
Sounds like you got a nice low hour machine. Got any pictures of it? Mine is the exact opposite...sat outside the last 23 years. I'm surprised some parts of it look as good as they do. Looks like there are a few 310 SE owners on the board which always help.

EDIT: You beat me to it...that's a beefy machine. Cool! I've looked mine over for leaks while I have all this apart. I'm replacing the water pump while I have it off - it was fine and not leaking, but while I have everything apart...
I followed you a while back when you had bought that big (International wasnt it?) high lift that had the welded up block. In fact when I bought this machine, it looked great, but after warming the machine up it started leaking antifreeze up at the front of the engine and I remembered your experience with the cracks along the side of the block going from freeze plug to freeze plug. I was concerned with similar issues with this machine, but the seller was a good guy and had his mechanic tear into it and it was just a thermostat housing gasket so I bought the machine. I haven't had it more than a couple of weeks and haven't done much to it, but like you am looking to change all the fluids and start fresh. I will be watching your posts very closely to learn.

csthompson12

I personally would not recommend any filter other than Deere filters. "If" I were to buy an aftermarket filter the only brand I would consider would be Donaldson, but that would be in a pinch if Deere filters weren't available.

I've always had good luck with Wix / Napa Gold filters... My guess is that one of the aftermarket companies makes Deere filters, but I could be wrong.

boone

Yes, we've still got that 175c loader. It was one of those things where once all the weak links we're addressed it's been trouble free. The seat on this 310 made the old ragged seat on the 175 look great. More on that later.

I sure didn't want a re run on this machine. It didn't have any coolant leaks but it had a few oil leaks. The two major leaks were the valve bank and the front engine seal. Figured those were addressable. It's coming together.

Been looking for a couple of years for an old backhoe. Some projects to do on my place and some other things to do at the farm. A loader for my old Kubota tractor was $8k. Would probably had a lift capacity at half a ton if that. I got this hoe for $10k, plus what I'm putting into it, but I could pick up a couple of cars with it. :)

boone

it was just a thermostat housing gasket so I bought the machine.

Glad that was all it turned out to be. You'll be far ahead of that's all you have to do. I've practiced digging a few holes, but haven't done much as I'm wanting to get these leaks fixed.

boone

I've always had good luck with Wix / Napa Gold filters... My guess is that one of the aftermarket companies makes Deere filters, but I could be wrong.

I've never heard Wix to have a bad rep nor have I had any issues with them, but I don't work on this stuff day in and day out, so I'd yield to MG's advice on that. I also don't use my stuff 8 hours a day 5 days a week either.

boone

Water pump curiosity

The old pump has a mysterious plate and was wondering if anyone would know the purpose of it, besides covering up the part #s? I don't think it will fit on the new pump.

Old

IMG_20200503_124624299.jpg

New

IMG_20200504_071959509.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Perhaps some sort of stiffener, which is now cast in on the replacement??

boone

That's it Tinkerer. I missed that in the parts book. The yellow pump is OEM, the new pump is aftermarket. Like Swetz said, I think the aftermarket seems to have beefed up the flange a bit. I'll keep the old pump in case the new one gives trouble. This old pump may have gone another 4000 hours...who knows.

boone

Every dealer is different. I picked up the new unitized seal Monday from Warrior Tractor (Construction). I've typically ordered parts over the phone from the local JD ag dealer since it's closer and they can source any of the construction parts. They're usually a few bucks cheaper too. So I naturally called them about the seal and loaning out the tool. They could get the seal in a couple of days but said they didn't loan out the tool.

On a whim I just decided to go to Warrior since they had the seal in stock and I could look a it. While checking out at the counter I asked the parts guy if they loaned out the installation tools, figured it never hurts to ask, and to my surprise he said they sure do. I just have to pay the price for them which is refunded as soon as I bring it back. Score! If I'd known this we wouldn't have had to make the extractor.

IMG_20200504_124225678.jpg

I followed the engine manual table for the right adapters. Oiling the inner seal, being careful not to get it on the sealer.

IMG_20200504_172412475.jpg

IMG_20200504_173641900.jpg

As I was looking back over the pictures, I noticed what looks like a hair line crack about 7 o'clock. I sanded the paint off after installation and to my relief it was just a mark.

JL Sargent

I picked up the new unitized seal Monday from Warrior Tractor (Construction)
Which Warrior did you go to? I visit the one in Graysville most of the time. I've noticed that 5gal Hygard is $5.00 cheaper at the AG version of JD.

boone

The Huntsville location. Yup, same on the Hygard. They're trying to pay for these new stores!

boone

Back when I bought this machine, I drove it about 5 or 6 miles to my house. My biggest worry besides springing major leak, overheating, failing brakes, etc. were the front tires. I wasn't sure if they'd make it. One was a Goodyear Laborer F3 showing the belts. The other was a Firestone Harvester that had been patched multiple times (according to owner). Neither inspired confidence. But they made it.

After looking around for a day or two, I found a great deal on some 11L-16SL Carlisle F-3s from one of those local discount warehouses that buy a truckload of mystery merchandise. I guess it kinda like storage wars for 18 wheelers trailers. Anyway, they had 4 of these tires and I bought 2 of them off their ebay listing. I picked these up for less than $100/each. They are normally around $175/each. I was pretty excited about this find.

IMG_20200305_174108008.jpg

boone

Also cleaned, inspected and repacked the bearings while I had the wheels off.

IMG_20200314_183209869.jpg

Took the tires up to a little local tire store. The guy said he got about half way around and it locked up his mounting machine on both tires. But he got them mounted.

I also removed the steering rod and aligned the front wheels using some angle iron clamped to the rotors. Took notes of some work to do later on the king pins. The seller roaded it to every job and so the front has taken a beating.

Fred from MO

Occupation
Engineer
Back when I bought this machine, I drove it about 5 or 6 miles to my house. My biggest worry besides springing major leak, overheating, failing brakes, etc. were the front tires. I wasn't sure if they'd make it. One was a Goodyear Laborer F3 showing the belts. The other was a Firestone Harvester that had been patched multiple times (according to owner). Neither inspired confidence. But they made it.

After looking around for a day or two, I found a great deal on some 11L-16SL Carlisle F-3s from one of those local discount warehouses that buy a truckload of mystery merchandise. I guess it kinda like storage wars for 18 wheelers trailers. Anyway, they had 4 of these tires and I bought 2 of them off their ebay listing. I picked these up for less than $100/each. They are normally around $175/each. I was pretty excited about this find.

View attachment 217357
Score! I always like a good deal! Those old tires were good and gone. That would have made me nervous too. Good job on doing it right with working on the front end while you got it down. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and place an order for my buckets tomorrow off of the bucket place on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-18-Bac...796652?hash=item1eefc6b7ac:g:0q4AAOxy14VRK8bN

Nick G

Occupation
Former operator, farmer
All I use as well. WIX or Napa Gold (made by Wix). Have used them for 40 years on farming equipment etc. No oil-related failures ever.
I'm giad you guys bought 310SE's so I have someone to chat with :)