• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Nick2x2

Hello all, new to the forum and heavy equipment. I have a model year 2006 JCB 214E Backhoe with a perkins 4 Cyl. Turbo diesel. The engine cranks but does not start. The previous owner stated the engine would fire up and idle but would not rev up past idle. Then the backhoe sat for 6-8 months and then I acquired it. Listed below is what I have done so far...

New 12v battery, filled with fresh diesel, cleaned glass fuel filter bowl, replaced spin on fuel filter then removed rubber hose that connects to the inlet of the fuel filter head...
d5TsF29
I then pumped the block mounted mechanical fuel lift pump until steady stream of fluid came out of the rubber hose. Reconnected the hose and loosened all 4 injector lines at the injectors, pumped the mechanical hand pump and nothing comes out of those lines, cranked the engine with the starter and very little if any fuel trickles out of the lines. Removed and tested the fuel shut off solenoid mounted on the delphi fuel injection pump. Cranked engine over more and no fuel comes out of injector supply lines.

I have read online about certain injection pumps having bleed screws to remove the air from the pumps but with extensive google research have not been able to locate these screws on the pump. Any and all advice is much appreciated!

GEOD998

I have an old 87 1400B with the 4.236 perkins and it is a bear to bleed. Mine does have bleeders on the pump that must be bled. I have been bleeding fuel lines on tractors trucks and heavy equipment since I was 14, and I swore I was never going to get mine running. On my 2 problem children...the 1400B and my mack magnum 998ci V8 with the ambac pump I have used very low air pressure (and Im talking only a few psi)to the tank filler to help on several occasions.