• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

It hurts to say this.

YoungOne

Well I was thinking the same thing as pushcat, so I'm sorry. Let me tell you a few truths unsugarcoated. There is no guarantees in this business period you work hard all summer and save for the winter. I have done it all form dirt to asphalt I have worked year round and I have worked 8 months out of the year. I have been the new guy and I have been the supervisor, bottom line if you are a good hand you will have a job and keep it who gives a dang about some mismanaged halfbaked company we work to work oueselves out of a job and don't forget that. Next you are only 19 noone cares about how long you've done this or that, you have expirience and are willing to learn this is important no matter how much expirience you have I still see a 19 year old kid,then go out there and grab an 8 and start cutting final grade that would impress the heck out of me. Look into joining a union non union jobs pay the bills form week to week but you can't do this forever you are going to need benefits bottom line and when the union sends you out to work for a mismanaged half baked company that lays you off guess what you call in get on the out of work list and get sent out on another job plus you have the oppurtunity to train with qualified people for free people that want to see a young man like you get very skilled and carry on our tradition of craftsmanship. I would also like to thank you for defending the freedom that I enjoy to write this to you.:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa

Always proud to serve the USA

Thanks for your post. And yes alot of people see me as an 19 year old kid. Then i look back at the guys in the mine that are still driving trucks AND that's ALL. They operate, because they dont want to take the risk to move up. Or mess up. And they have been there for 10-20 years. While i am trying to run everything i can, and willing to move up. And LOADING those trucks. And the only reason their making more money than i am is because they've been there longer. Sorry i dont need a union for ambition. Money isnt everything i'll take my non union wages, and operate the equipment i operate. As a " 19 year old kid " I dont complain at all.

And yeah, you check the grade for me, let me see the plans. Put me in the d8and let me cut the final grade. I'm not very confident usually. so i always leave it a hundreth high anyways, or a little higher. And no one has ever complained. Because when the building guys get there, their going to grade it up, and mess it up anyways. so yeah. But the point is, i will get in the 8 without hesitation and go for it:) i've been around older guys that hate doing final grade. And i enjoy the boss watching me the whole time while i work. If i mess up yell at me, if i do good. Call me mike.

-Michael-
:usa

101 operator

Occupation
operating engineer
Well my first mistake was not realizing there was alot more to this thread I read the first few pages and replied to your wanting a job I am not here to start a war over union or non I was simply giving you my opinion of things you could do I was not beating non union down. It seems to me you are in a good spotand ought to stay there and stay on the course you have set for yourself. I have an 18 year old son to just qualify myself a little and we have been fighting the what am I going to do with my life battle no matter what you do or where you do it you need healthcare ins. and don't wait around for the government to give it to you, you also need some kind of retirement benefit if they don't provide it for you go to your local investment banker and start some things and keep contributing I think you can put 3000 in an IRA a year now tax free. You went from young one to kid to mike trust me tomorrow you will be old man and you will have 30 years under your belt and you will want to play with grandkids travel with your wife etc. it happens trust me and it happens just that fast I could talk for hours about it. I do have some regrets but then I love what I do I have had expiriences some men only dream about here in MO. noone ever had big Iron 9's were the biggest and they were in quarries not on road jobs then Macaninch came to town with 10's and 11's and 5110, 777's etc. and showed everyone around here how to move 100,000 yards in 24 hours. So there ya go

101 operator

Occupation
operating engineer

Attachments

• 100_0139 (Small).JPG
    100_0139 (Small).JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 615
  • 100_0230 (Small).JPG
    100_0230 (Small).JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 610
  • Picture 169 (Small).jpg
    Picture 169 (Small).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 612
  • Picture 175 (Small).jpg
    Picture 175 (Small).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 612
  • Picture 172 (Small).jpg
    Picture 172 (Small).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 617

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
I hear you when it comes to young kid to old man!!!!!!! The thing i see with Mr. Mike :D that he has a the will to work and that gets you what you need and want faster then just talking the walk like a few.

I have worked in Mo. a few times as non union and the outfits i worked for paid more then union at the time and furnished insurance besides.If i was to do it again,and now days i would probably join the union tho.

With that said,i went the next step up as far as i'm concerned as owner/operator and have been doing business for myself for 33 years this year.Not big ,by no means,but always thought i could have been big time,but who knows ,never tried.

I was comfortable being home every night with my family sleeping in my own bed,so traveling all over the contry side chasing the big paying jobs isn't everything either.

My the way what state is big MC from anyway:cool2:usa

YoungOne

Well my first mistake was not realizing there was alot more to this thread I read the first few pages and replied to your wanting a job I am not here to start a war over union or non I was simply giving you my opinion of things you could do I was not beating non union down. It seems to me you are in a good spotand ought to stay there and stay on the course you have set for yourself. I have an 18 year old son to just qualify myself a little and we have been fighting the what am I going to do with my life battle no matter what you do or where you do it you need healthcare ins. and don't wait around for the government to give it to you, you also need some kind of retirement benefit if they don't provide it for you go to your local investment banker and start some things and keep contributing I think you can put 3000 in an IRA a year now tax free. You went from young one to kid to mike trust me tomorrow you will be old man and you will have 30 years under your belt and you will want to play with grandkids travel with your wife etc. it happens trust me and it happens just that fast I could talk for hours about it. I do have some regrets but then I love what I do I have had expiriences some men only dream about here in MO. noone ever had big Iron 9's were the biggest and they were in quarries not on road jobs then Macaninch came to town with 10's and 11's and 5110, 777's etc. and showed everyone around here how to move 100,000 yards in 24 hours. So there ya go

Thanks for your pictures and post. I really appreciate all the information. I just re-read what you replied too from my post. And i think the reason i said what i said was. Sometimes i get tired of being put in the " norm " Meaning I am almost always looked at by age, and not talent or experience, or want. My first day in the mine i told my pitforeman that was showing me around, " I'm here to do good and move up, but if i can't learn send me home. " And he said " That will be a change, try telling those guys that have been on the same grade machine for 10 years. They never want to move. "

All of us younger adults arent lazy. MOST are honestly. But my love is yellow iron,green iron, heck, if you give me a pink dozer and a ugly green terex truck, I will use them both. Because i love equipment old, new. Anything with hydraulics, and a motor behind them.

The future is what i am putting back for now. I am 19 years old, and just paid my 10,000$ car off ( alot for us young "kids" that dont fish in their parents pockets. ) And paying on 10 acres i just bought of land:)

Those were my first two goals. That's what i wanted, that what i got. Now my goals are one day get out of the seat, and into superintendent/ pit foreman work ( i like mining:usa ) And get benefits and good pay. So i can one day have kids of my own, and hopefully never have to live paycheck to paycheck.

To make a long story short is..

I wont lose in life, When i've been given the chance so many other's my age dream of experiencing before they DIE.

Nice pictures, Big equipment. You work for a great company:)

-Michael-

Sorry for rambling... Sometimes i just get stereotyped into the lazy adult generation. And it gets to me.

alco

Then i look back at the guys in the mine that are still driving trucks AND that's ALL. They operate, because they dont want to take the risk to move up. Or mess up. And they have been there for 10-20 years.

Something you might want to keep in mind. Not everybody who has been driving truck for 10 to 20 years are still doing it because they are afraid to move up or mess up. Some of them may be doing it because they enjoy it. I know a few operators who do nothing but drive truck for us, and the reason they haven't moved on isn't because they are afraid of haven't been given the opportunities......it's because they truly like what they do and don't want to do something else. Just something to consider.

Brian

Last edited:

YoungOne

Something you might want to keep in mind. Not everybody who has been driving truck for 10 to 20 years are still doing it because they are afraid to move up or mess up. Some of them may be doing it because they enjoy it. I know a few operators who do nothing but drive truck for us, and the reason they haven't moved on isn't because they are afraid of haven't been given the opportunities......it's because they truly like what they do and don't want to do something else. Just something to consider.

Brian

I see what your saying. I meant mostly from a financial point of view. In our mine, you get paid for what you run, and how well you run it. If they love driving the 777's then i am sure they will love the new trucks we get. But after hearing a few guys turn down a hoe or the grader that i'm on now.

Maybe I just thought they were afraid to move up because that's what the foreman told me:D But either way, i am going to put in my time. And run everything they give me to run. And enjoy it...

Okay maybe i wont enjoy the rubbertire dozer:D But anyways... Thanks for your post:)

-Michael-

Eric

There is a fella driving in our mine, has for 37 years. He makes about $5 an hour more than me.... as he should for that many years of service. I had a offer to be a full time shovel runner for $3 an hour more than I make now, I turned it down. I love working straight days, thats worth a few bucks to me. Also just for reference, I have worked in or around mining for the last 13 years, I have always had a job if I wanted it. Nobody in our side of the state offers more benefits, pay, or job security. The mine on the other side of the county still has union rep and they make on average $3 an hour LESS than we do. Plus they have had massive layoffs twice in the last 10 years. The union here, let me stress this, HERE, is weak and the company has no problem using "scabs" in the past. Read the books about the Morenci strike back in the 80's. These union employees also pay close to $900 a month for insurance for a $1000 deductable. We pay $300 for $25 deduct.
Having read through the forums concerning unions I see that union operators make almost twice my wage... and travel from job to job. I also see that the strength of the unions vary's from region to region. East coast seems to be significantly stronger than anywhere else.
Bottom line for me is this... I am neither pro or con union, I am pro ME and my family. Depending on where I lived I would activly seek the best I could get for us.:usa

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Just in case you want to compare McAninch big backhoe before it started working in MO. here is a picture of it at Ziegler Cat at DM ,Iowa.

Little shiner then.Check th number behind the cab with this one and the other one posted.:usa

Attachments

• Ziegler Cat 001.jpg
    Ziegler Cat 001.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 517

roadrunner

I see what your saying. I meant mostly from a financial point of view. In our mine, you get paid for what you run, and how well you run it. If they love driving the 777's then i am sure they will love the new trucks we get. But after hearing a few guys turn down a hoe or the grader that i'm on now.

Maybe I just thought they were afraid to move up because that's what the foreman told me:D But either way, i am going to put in my time. And run everything they give me to run. And enjoy it...

Okay maybe i wont enjoy the rubbertire dozer:D But anyways... Thanks for your post:)

-Michael-

YoungOne;
Sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders. Iknow and I'm sure everyone else can remember being your age and trying to prove your self on the jobsite. Word of advice to never turn down an oppurtunity to run a different machine. It will only make you understand what the other guy has to deal with when operating, and making you a better operator overall.
"Just my 2 cents!"

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
not saying that running alot of different equipment is a bad thing, i personaly believe that it takes years in the seat to operate a machine to its fullest potential. when you reach the point that your operating something new doors continually open, you start to see different ways that by doing the smaller things you can make the whole job go better, if your on a scraper pay attention to the blades windrow if you see a big rock pick it out for him, if his windrow gets a little thin in a spot put some dirt on the side hes blading toward, if your a younger guy get out once in a while and help the older frogs shovel their tracks, its good to want to be the best you can be but unless your on a one man project dirt moving is a team effort everybody needs everybody, by seeing the big picture and setting yourself up to have a more productive tomorrow, in a perfectly fair world the higher ups will notice all the little things and give you the chance to advance into the positions that you want, dont rush it pay your dues and have fun. and in a couple of years :drinkup

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
ive come to the conclusion that i will probably be on a scraper till i retire, if my body takes it for that many years, ide trade you in a heartbeat if i could load a big truck with your 994 or shovel or just sit inside your m.

YoungOne

not saying that running alot of different equipment is a bad thing, i personaly believe that it takes years in the seat to operate a machine to its fullest potential. when you reach the point that your operating something new doors continually open, you start to see different ways that by doing the smaller things you can make the whole job go better, if your on a scraper pay attention to the blades windrow if you see a big rock pick it out for him, if his windrow gets a little thin in a spot put some dirt on the side hes blading toward, if your a younger guy get out once in a while and help the older frogs shovel their tracks, its good to want to be the best you can be but unless your on a one man project dirt moving is a team effort everybody needs everybody, by seeing the big picture and setting yourself up to have a more productive tomorrow, in a perfectly fair world the higher ups will notice all the little things and give you the chance to advance into the positions that you want, dont rush it pay your dues and have fun. and in a couple of years :drinkup

Thanks for your post. Eric is right this is great advice.

However i feel as though i have an oppurtunity in front of me i cannot pass up. I dont always want to be an operator, i want to get into management and make a little bit more money:) One day that is.

And being able to operate the equipment i can operate now AND make production with them. I think i should take every oppurunity sent out at me. Just because ten years from now i dont want to watch another guy on the 4100, operate while i am in a haul truck 7 days a week. That's just my personal opinion. Nothing against haul truck drivers that enjoy it. But it's not going to make the money that the other machines can make in the long run. So as i have always said i want to LEARN everything i can. Whenever i get the chance too.

And i know that i can't be a one man operation. And that every operator makes another operators day go alot easier in a perfect world. I am just taking the oppurunity before me. I've gotten to the point where i meet and exceed production standards every day right now. That's where i want to stay. I wont turn down any machine. I will get on what my foreman tells me to get on. And like it.

-Michael-

YoungOne

Just an update. Still on the grader:) And loving it. An old bladehand has been staying after a bit with me showing me some tricks etc. with it. And i am getting alot of overtime. And making almost twice what i was with my employer every month. ( GO MINING! ) I got a raise because i am on the grader now. I was informed today that next week i will get my crack at one of the 4100 electric shovels when the operator takes a vacation day. Pretty excited about that. I also recieved a call today, from one of the only kyonite mines in the world only 1 hour from me. Offering me a job.

So we'll see. I think i like where i am at right now.

-Michael-

Eric

Alright! Just remember when you turn those brakes loose on that shovel, that beast comes ALIVE! There is so much to warn you about I don't have the room here. Few pointers, keep your the slack in your bale tight. Bale is what connects your hoist cables to dipper, if that rolls on you you will be in deep dooky. Take your time, everything is backwards. Have fun, listen to your shovel runner, I hope you get a good trainer, mine was a 47 year vetran of mining. I could write a 50 chapter book with what he passed on to me. You're gonna love it.

YoungOne

Alright! Just remember when you turn those brakes loose on that shovel, that beast comes ALIVE! There is so much to warn you about I don't have the room here. Few pointers, keep your the slack in your bale tight. Bale is what connects your hoist cables to dipper, if that rolls on you you will be in deep dooky. Take your time, everything is backwards. Have fun, listen to your shovel runner, I hope you get a good trainer, mine was a 47 year vetran of mining. I could write a 50 chapter book with what he passed on to me. You're gonna love it.

Thanks eric. My trainer has 15 years in the seat of the shovel. And is looking to train someone. Doubt i will end up there permanently for a long time. But i can dream. That is the same tips he told me also. About the Bale, and keeping it tight. He is going to show me hands on the next few days. And the mine is giving me the time to learn, with the danger of the big machine/ the need of operators who WANT to run it.

Wish everything wasnt opposite though:( but i'm glad i have good teachers/ i can always ask you for help if i need it:D

-Michael-

your right im going to love it.

alco

I wonder if you'll be able to beat a guy we have at work's record for the number of boom jacks in one shift? I would doubt it. he can be pretty brutal.

I don't mean for that to be rude or condescending in any way. I just figure you'll get a few when you're learning. And please, for the love of god, don't forget about your trail cable. We had a new guy walk over his a couple weeks ago, and subsequently had an opening to fill the spot he vacated.

Be thankful you guys have 4100 shovels. We have a fleet of 11 4100 series shovels, 6 hydraulics, and 3 495HF shovels with a 4th being built right now. All three of the current 495 shovels are broke down right now. One is in a bit of an emergency as it has a broken center pin and is being held up by shoring right now until they can get it undecked and repaired. I have to say, the 495 machines may be cheaper and easier to get, but they are always down.....I guess you get what you pay for.

Brian

Eric

Last week our 4100 shot the sticks right through the saddle blocks, tore off the greenhorns.. Operator lost refrence to the crowd function and the sticks just kept on truckin. 2nd time this has happened.

Careful pickin up yer cable too, seen alot of guys hit the stinger with the dipper. That's a pain in the arrs to fix.