• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

It hurts to say this.

YoungOne

Seems as though things arent going as great as i thought. We have alot of work, but something is going wrong in management i guess. I am still on the d8T.

But i want to put this out there.

I am willing to start looking for employment elsewhere in the united states. So if you know anyone hiring let me know. I am young and willing to work hard, pour concrete ( i can set it up too ) Read plans ( im not afraid to ask you to double check though )

I have operated the following pieces of equipment

d3lgp,d4lgp,deere 450, d5, d6. d4 H series II, My current machine is Cat D8t.

Cat 420 backhoe. ( i can run joysticks and wobble sticks. ) Cat 345 Cat 320, John Deere 270LC. Cat 315. Cat 963 Track loader. And i've laid pipe both in ditch and machine. I completed a 7 foot tall 114 foot wall in two weeks with three guys. And had never did one. And i was " foreman. " on that job.

No scrapers. And i have a few hours on the grader. Unfortunately only a little time in a haul truck.

I just want consistent work. I am willing to start in the ditch, or with a trow. And work my way up into a piece of equipment.

I just need them to know. I am in the Army and once a year that requires me missing a friday of work. And once a month i wont be able to work weekends. Soldier first:)

And i want to learn, no matter how much i learn. There is always more. Experienced operators. superintendents have told me that. " you dont make it in life unless you take the shovel out of the owners hands. "

I want to learn more about setting up a job, and eventually be a superintendent for a medium to large size company. Or own my own one day. So please dont frown when i ask you questions. I have interest in getting my CDL and moving equipment on the weekends. And i am willing to put in as many hours as needed.

Sadly i know little about mechanic work.

I am willing to work on big/small jobs. As long as i can learn, and there is chance for advancement. I wont ask to start with more pay than i can start off with. If i have to leave virginia to work else where. I may need help starting out, but you have a soldiers word i will pay them back. In work,time, and money.

-Michael-

I appreciate any help.

Dont let me being 19 discourage you.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
What will discourage an employer is an applicant that has not worked anywhere for more than a few months at a time. Like it or not, your age is showing in your constant bouncing from job to job and idea to idea. Put a plan for your future together and stick to it, I know I wouldn't seriously consider anyone who appears to be a drifter for employment.

YoungOne

What will discourage an employer is an applicant that has not worked anywhere for more than a few months at a time. Like it or not, your age is showing in your constant bouncing from job to job and idea to idea. Put a plan for your future together and stick to it, I know I wouldn't seriously consider anyone who appears to be a drifter for employment.

Thank you steve. Well if our company is having problems in management. I want to start looking around before im left without a job. I've been with him almost a year altogether. And off and on since i was young. ( Pouring concrete here and there )

-Michael-

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator

That has never hurt me, and I've never worked for the company that doesn't have a lot of guys quit in under 6 months. I've worked for over 8 companies and moved to a new state 6 times in the last 6 years 4 of those I spent in socal. Not once has anyone said anything about it and I've never turned in more then a few apps before I got a offer I took. Most companies need good hands bad that care about there job and the ones that don't stick around normally ain't working out that well, so there use to a high turn over.

Michael,
There are jobs every where doing all kinds things. Decide what your looking for and find a job that will get you there. If it ain't working out move on and try again. I would settle for pouring concrete, but you didn't pick the best time of year to be looking for a job in the region that you live in.

YoungOne

I Lost My Job This Morning

So my hunch was right. I was let go this morning. In a respectable way. He told me that i had did a great job and wished me best in the future. And that I could call him in the future for a reference anytime.

He gave me a bonus, and my last check.

And i left.

Management problems. I had a hunch..

-Michael-

Can anyone help?

Turbo21835

So this company you worked for has 5-10 employees. They have more work than they can handle. What kind of management problems can you have that forces you to lay off employees. After the purchase of a D8, and the current workload they would need more employees not less.

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
the ones that don't stick around normally ain't working out that well
That's exactly my point. Run up a laundry list of enough of these and you will either gain a reputation of being a quitter or being difficult to work with.

YoungOne

So this company you worked for has 5-10 employees. They have more work than they can handle. What kind of management problems can you have that forces you to lay off employees. After the purchase of a D8, and the current workload they would need more employees not less.

Well we had three owners. And i guess one of them got greedy or something idk. All i know is that im out of a job, and filing unemployment right now until i find a job.

Miss my d8 though:p

Everything happens for a reason though. I'm trying to look at this in the right manner. And not be pesimistic about it. I'll find something. Entry level and work my way up and show someone else that i could be of value to them.

-Michael-

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
You might try applying at local gravel pits, around here the non union ones are always stuggling to find good operators. The gravel pits seem to have more stable year round work too. Most good operators seem to get bored with the repetitive work at gravel pits, but for a young operator its a great place to learn more about effiency since that is the name of the game at these places.

As far as relocating goes, you might look into what it takes to work in Alaska. I have no information about alaska work but I keep hearing stories about big money there for single guys who can come work the summer season there. Stories about 12 hour days, 7 day weeks, and more money then you can spend. Also if you have the freedom to travel you might look into huge companies like Kiewit, I had a friend get hired on there and now he travels with the crew he is on all over the western US. They basicly live in motels whereever the job takes them. I believe kiewit only hires union operators though. :beatsme I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to take advantage of this time off to better yourself. Take a hazmat class, get your CDL, take a first aid / CPR class, or anything you can between looking for more work. Best of luck and keep your head up.
:drinkup

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
First off! if the rumor you heard or was told? then sounds like you did anything wrong.With that said there are always to sides of the story!!!!

For now i wouldn't be running all over the country,wrong time of the year for work in the norther(midwest).I'm sure there is jobs going on closer for now.Just be glad you have worked long enough to file for uneployment.Holidays are never a good time to be looking for work.Espeically after!

Since you have days off now hit the local companys and take a drive acorss your state looking for work.Stop ask who,where,there is work and if they are hiring.If you see construction going stop and ask just like you was doing.

Nothing is for ever it seems,more so now then older days.Easy come and hard to come by sometimes.

Could be worst ,you could be living out of a box.Your 19,what if you was 60.Hang in there it will happen!Sometimes it just takes a while.Good luck:usa

DuraMaxMan66

Occupation
PT student/operator
Look for a decent land fill to get into, Thats where I'm at now and I love it! Im making pretty decent money and all I do is operate. The land fill I'm at is pretty notch and has very nice working conditions. I arrive every mourning and they machines are already sitting out there on the pile running, greased, and ready to roll, except for haul trucks since they have so many, they are sitting there with the keys in them ready to go. The machines are always nice and clean inside and they dont smell inside or anything. The smell of a landfill takes some getting used to but you barely notice it after you adjust. As I recall there is a farely big landfill in VA somewhere that has very nice machines. A friend of mine is a service tech for Al Jon landfill compactors and has been down there before. Just a piece of advice....

pushcat

So, you worked for this company, what, a couple months? And you're going to draw unemployment off of them or Wal-mart? Things were all peachy and then you got canned, with all kinds of work and a new machine just for you? Are you sure you're not yankin' our chain a little or what? With some of the questions you asked and some of your comments it makes a guy wonder.:beatsme

YoungOne

So, you worked for this company, what, a couple months? And you're going to draw unemployment off of them or Wal-mart? Things were all peachy and then you got canned, with all kinds of work and a new machine just for you? Are you sure you're not yankin' our chain a little or what? With some of the questions you asked and some of your comments it makes a guy wonder.:beatsme

Thanks duramax. im going to go see tomorrow:)

And pushcat. i worked for them about a year. total. And i can collect off them.

-Michael-

Why would i lie over the internet? im not proud of being unemployed.

rino1494

I wish we had enough work. I'd hire you. It is nice to see a young person like me that has the fire in his belly and determination for the dirt business. Best of luck to you.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
if operating equipment is what you want to do and you like it alot ry to get a job building something first at a smaller company wether its pads or roads or even a farmer running a tractor, but if its possible a smaller company with people that will help and teach you with individual help. any job around equipment is helpful, if you go right to a big company you get all the benefits 401k all the insurance and stuff, but you also get alot of idiots with stupid ideas who think they are great and dont mind telling you so, trying to teach you how to do things usually the wrong way. i work at a small mine and just when i think ive seen it all i see something that just blows me away.whatever you do have fun.

YoungOne

Things Looking Up

So today i went out and put in a bunch of applications.

I first started at a small concrete company/ gravel pit. They had openings.
I then went to a concrete finishing friend of mine. And he said hed love to hire me but didnt have the work.
And then i went to a rebar fabrication shop.

And the highlight of my night was when i went by our big aggragate (sp?)

I went in and i got to talk to head of maintenance due to him being my ex-employers friend. After talking to him a while and looking around. He asked me how many hours i had on a dozer i said about " about 1000 " and then he asked about an excavator and i said " probably around 650-700 "

And he understandingly asked me how i got that much seat time being young. " i guess im the opposite of the kids i graduated with i want to work. I've did alot of work in the ditch/ gradechecking and earned a small spot. Then it took a bigger part "

He asked me if i knew how to slotpush with a dozer. And i was honest with him telling him that i had did it in cut/fill with a d8t. But i wouldnt be able to tell him how to in the mining business.

He told me he had openings for a d10n operator. And 777 haul truck drivers. He also had openings for Cat 5130 operator but that would be filled the next day due to the operator losing his job early this morning and filled in for the rest of the day.

He asked me if i would like to apply. And i said i'd love too, but i wouldnt expect to get a job.

He told me that if im willing to work slotpushing or in a haul truck. And complete a mine safety class that he would try to get me a job. But he did say that once they seen i was 19 they might not want to read my application :(

haha. Things looking up though.

So what is slotpushing as far as mining goes? Any tips on driving the big trucks ( i know not to run over things :p )

help:)

ideas/jobs still welcome.

Applied at two landfills too:D

-Michael-

Eric

If you are willing to relocate mining is booming right now, copper over $3 a pound. Almost every mine I've heard of in the western U.S.A. is hiring. Age not a factor, I work with guys barely out of high school with NO expierience!! Look up Phelps Dodge or Freeport McMoRan online.

YoungOne

If you are willing to relocate mining is booming right now, copper over $3 a pound. Almost every mine I've heard of in the western U.S.A. is hiring. Age not a factor, I work with guys barely out of high school with NO expierience!! Look up Phelps Dodge or Freeport McMoRan online.

Thanks for the fast response eric. I'm sure you have tips on slotpushing in a mine, and haul trucks then right? * hint hint *

Looking them up now:D

-Michael-

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Slot pushing is dozing in the same spot until the ground is almost half way up the undercarriage, (you've now dug a trench) it doubles your blade capacity, once you get deep enough that the fill doesn't start sluffing in, move over 6 feet or so and doze it down the the level of the first slot, then in a few pushes, push out the island in the middle and repeat. I spent 4 days on an older powershift Deere pushing 1000 feet of a natural ridge into a large ditch this way, it was a hell of a lot of fun.