• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is it legal to drive a bulldozer on the road?

Metalman 55

Way back in 1977 we had a major snow n blow storm that left 8'+ drifts on many of the local roads in the small town that I live in (still do). I remember catting up main with a D8H in the middle of the night had to smile while watching the curtians being pulled back by the locals, wondering what was going by. During an event like that, we were considered local heros!! The big Cat's worked for over a month after that, pushing back snow banks on the side roads! It was an unpercedented snow event that has never been repeated............

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I haven't ran a tracked machine down a highway and wouldn't consider it - undercarriage is expensive, just buy one.

However I have taken various rubber tired equipment down the highway, whether or not I was "legal" doesn't matter now as the statute of limitations are past.:cool:

stars&bars44

Occupation
Earthmoving
You need to find another record to break. Anything with metal tracks will shake you to death on concrete. Asphalt will too but if it's hot enough it might cushion it a bit when the grouser bar digs into the asphalt. It's awful just crossing a road much less driving on one. We use tires. About 10, 5 per side and 4 people. Guy at back picks up tire and brings it to front, kinda like a bucket brigade only cooler.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Just made the first weed store here ready to pave today. Gonna be legal country wide come August. Lord help us.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
A friend used to "road" his old 690 Deere excavator short distances when weight restrictions were on....couldn't scale it on the lowbed.
Weighmaster was not happy to say the least, not a damn thing he could do.

Ed

Tinkerer

I have roaded dozers short distances on both concrete and asphalt roads. Certainly not a wide open in 3rd gear. The ride was not very rough at all.
For some reason I cannot explain is that, on asphalt the grousers will damage the surface going forward but, in reverse very little chafing occurs.
On concrete it didn't make any difference.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've worked in plenty of shops with concrete yards, aprons and shop floors. If the undercarriage is less than 70% worn dozers and excavators ride pretty smooth. It's when the grousers get wore uneven, the rollers are worn into deep valleys and the track rails get scalloped that the ride gets rough. There is no give in the surface to hide the bumps and grinds on a worn out undercarriage.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Tinkerer, on Dozers Grousers are on leading edge of shoes, first to hit in forward, already on the last shoe grouser coming around in reverse. Makes sense to me.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The front idler is pressing down on the chain and through to the grouser at the same time as the grouser touches the ground. The rear idler on a high drive contacts the back part of the chain and then rolls up on the link as the grouser is already engaged with the ground. On oval tracks the sprocket never directly connects with the ground through the track. The rear roller is the back contact point and it rolls up the chain the same way.