• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is it legal to drive a bulldozer on the road?

ianholt150

Hello everybody! I was daydreaming in Ag Mechanics class today, and I came up with this insane idea. Can you drive a bulldozer on a state highway, with the proper licensing, SMV triangles, and pilot vehicles, and with some sort of rubber device that prevents the tracks from digging into the highway and ruining the road?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Can still get a DUI in a unlicensed vehicle, just have to be on public roads. State of CO positions D8 crawlers with street blocks on the shoes for snow removal of some passes but as noted is really hard on undercarriage.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
I think I'd want a kidney belt and a suspension seat.... did you see the guy who plated up a dozer and smashed some buildings? ?

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
I think I'd want a kidney belt and a suspension seat.... did you see the guy who plated up a dozer and smashed some buildings? ?
I've seen it , all together better machine using a D155 , I asked on the clip what serial number it was , not had a reply , very important serial numbers .
another clip in still pics

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I used to know what it cost per foot to track a 583 or 594 sideboom. I about $hit when they told me what it was. Of course they’re really hard on the counterweight side undercarriage.

Anything is theoretically possible.... :)

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Any idea what the record is? Does it have to be on the road or can you find a place and just make circles?

Wes J

People take dozers down gravel roads around here. No issues. Farm equipment goes down the road all the time. However, they are limited to 60,000 lbs gross and 25 mph.

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
Well I know one of our customers when coal was big ran a Fiat Allis HD41 about 3 miles down the road one night it only cost them a few windows in some houses as far as I know.

ianholt150

Any idea what the record is? Does it have to be on the road or can you find a place and just make circles?
No, I do not have any idea of the record, but I am pretty sure that there is not one yet. I am hoping it to be on the road because then I won't be likely to throw a track, if I ever find the funds to pay for diesel every 5 miles.