• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Increases in parts across the board...

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
And so it goes-Some are still asking high prices for used trucks-but the bottom has fallen out.
Freightliner is running ahead of schedule on new truck orders by 4 to 5 months. 3 axle tractors
are not worth much at this point and the used value of 4 axle has fallen off.

Seeing the prices for used iron also not holding now. Auction numbers no longer back up retail asking price percentages. Rental markets are still strong.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
It seems like they could be doing a lot more to automate that process, even in their own back yard there. For instance that sand shaker, they could drive it off an electric motor with some sort of eccentric. It's not like they don't have skills to make whatever they want there.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
It seems like they could be doing a lot more to automate that process, even in their own back yard there. For instance that sand shaker, they could drive it off an electric motor with some sort of eccentric. It's not like they don't have skills to make whatever they want there.
"People are Cheaper"

JAKES.

Just chiming in here: l went to a local Napa to get wheel seals for an R model Mack I was quoted $88.00 per for the rears! Plus a shipping fee! I was making tracks for the door while they were asking if I wanted to order them. I used to be determined to get parts at brick and mortar shops but now I am much more open minded to hunting things down on the inter web.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..

You gotta remember, Pakistan is full of cheap labour, so any automation you install puts a family member out of work. Plus, electricity there is expensive, but the labour is dirt-cheap.
A friend was buying Indian-built "Metex" engines and selling them in Australia and making a good killing out of them. The Metex was a copy of the early low-speed Lister diesel engines.

He said the Metex foundry was on a par with the Pakistani/Indian YouTube videos - guys in flip-flops and bare feet jumping over casting boxes whilst carrying a ladle of molten iron!
But he said the interesting part was, there was a Grove manufacturing facility not far away that he inspected. The Grove facility was producing truck-mounted cranes, and the yard contained several new rigs ready to go.

However, inside the factory, the employees were lifting heavy components around with many guys hanging on to ropes and pulley blocks! He said to the factory manager, "You've got a yard with new cranes out there! Why aren't you using one of them in the factory!?"
He said the manager looked genuinely shocked, and he replied, "But what would these men do for work and income, if I replaced them all with a truck crane?"

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Believe it or not, I HAD TO raise my prices.!! 1st time in over 10 YEARS.!!!
Inj pump parts prices have gone thru the roof.. parts I was paying 15.00 for are now 50.00.!!!
I held off as long as I could..
I was “absorbing” the cost and telling myself, “I was helping folks out”..
The kicker came yesterday when I was at the Post Office and they raised their Flat Rate box another 1.00..
I HAD TO go up a whopping 15.00..to the total cost of a rebuild.
Sorry if it effects u cheap bastards.. lol

Truck Shop

Believe it or not, I HAD TO raise my prices.!! 1st time in over 10 YEARS.!!!
Inj pump parts prices have gone thru the roof.. parts I was paying 15.00 for are now 50.00.!!!
I held off as long as I could..
I was “absorbing” the cost and telling myself, “I was helping folks out”..
The kicker came yesterday when I was at the Post Office and they raised their Flat Rate box another 1.00..
I HAD TO go up a whopping 15.00..to the total cost of a rebuild.
Sorry if it effects u cheap bastards.. lol

The average price for a PT pump anymore is $850.00, I remember when it was $475.00.

Truck Shop

Going through invoices this morning, one of our satellite trucks had the oil changed in the transmission.
At a Freightliner dealer, boss ok'd it to show it was changed for warranty purpose. 14qts 75x90 is what
it takes on a drain and fill.
4 gallons Delvac 1-75x90 MTD----$94.30 a gallon---$377.20
Labor to remove drain plug drain oil replace plug remove fill plug-fill and replace plug. Pour old old
in waste tank-$194.00.

75x90 is roughly 7 pounds to the gallon, my cost $36.40 a gallon. Bulk price for Citgo.
It takes me less than 20 minutes, their labor rate is $170.00 an hour.

Truck Shop

Going through invoices this morning, one of our satellite trucks had the oil changed in the transmission.
At a Freightliner dealer, boss ok'd it to show it was changed for warranty purpose. 14qts 75x90 is what
it takes on a drain and fill.
4 gallons Delvac 1-75x90 MTD----$94.30 a gallon---$377.20
Labor to remove drain plug drain oil replace plug remove fill plug-fill and replace plug. Pour old old
in waste tank-$194.00.

75x90 is roughly 7 pounds to the gallon, my cost $36.40 a gallon. Bulk price for Citgo.
It takes me less than 20 minutes, their labor rate is $170.00 an hour.