• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I want to learn a little more about tractors before I buy one, help please.

Slammed379

Hi, I need some advice from you experts please.

I recently purchased 7.5 acres and the land is pretty beat up. It is flat but needs a lot of TLC. I want to purchase a tractor with a bucket so I can move dirt around. I also want to have an attachment for mowing and also a disc harrow.

I would prefer to buy a used tractor and don't want to spend more than about $15K. I also want a diesel. I have been looking on Craigslist and Ebay. I like John Deeres and Fords, but I also see brands like Mahindra, Kubota, Massey Furguson and others. I just feel like I don't know enough to make a smart purchase for what I need.

What would be a good tractor for my application?

Thanks,

Mario

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'd look at tractors in the 60 to 75hp range. My personal preference is New Holland, I've had real good luck running them. You don't necessarily need a tractor that big, but it will make short work of anything you do around there, plus if there's an opportunity to do field mowing in your area it will handle it well. If you're looking for a loader then all wheel drive is almost a necessity. If you're not in a rush and can shop hard, you should be able to find something decent in your price range.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I went to a slightly larger tractor than needed as the prices for those tend to be less than the 'utility' sized. I bought a 75hp older tractor, an Allis 180, similar is the Deere older 3020 series or as put a New Holland but they will be pricier for newer. You want to go industrial stay with Ford or Case commercial lines for loader tractors with a PTO and 3 point hitch. No 3 pt and attachments won't do you any good. Nothing really bad about Kubota other than as the models change parts lines do decrease in availability and raise in cost. Stay away from Mahindra, Montana and other off-brand tractor, biggest problem supporting dealers and parts line. Massey has its own issues on older units, many farmers that know their heritage will not have one given them.

Seven years ago I bought my Allis for $6500 with a drag blade, then I paid an added $2500 for a bolt on loader, problem with farm loaders is they are not excavation equipment but soft materials or stockpile loaders. You will end up with more than one tractor should you decide to do grade work and farm finish work. A 75-90hp tractor will handle a larger brush hog, mine has a 8 foot Bush Hog behind it most of the time, a 12 or 14 footer trailer type is all I would want to pull with it, I also pull a 12' 18" blade Massey disc for field work with mine, that is about the max it can draw at full depth in grainy soils.

Andrew_D

Thanks, I was clearly looking at tractors that were too small.

A smaller tractor would work, just take longer to do the job. Neighbour of mine has a John Deere. Not sure on the model number, but it's about 24hp. It's not a big monster by any means, but he has a loader, belly mower, rear blade, rear snowblower, rear garden tiller, etc. Now he's not going to be moving dirt 24/7 with it or anything, but for his acreage, it works fine.

Phone up a couple of dealers and tell them what you are looking for and tell them to bring out 2-4 tractors of different sizes to let you demo. You'll find out in a hurry which one you want.

Andrew

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If you have neighbors to your property that prefer a specific AG dealer check on their choice, usually means better service or pricing if a dealer has a good following locally. Look at all you would consider, from 30-90hp, get a feel for what attachments they will handle, get a feel from grade contractors what they are using for machines as to what is in their yards and look for strong long lived dealerships for parts/service as to models of tractor.

Lighter the tractor the less capability for moving dirt or attachments, heavier will be hard to handle in soft conditions, look to pocketbook and function as well as years old and how much work it may need.

For the same dollar figure I can get a 35hp utility tractor or step out to a 80hp line tractor, this is due to the inability to sell the bigger tractors to those that have never ran one or cannot transport one while full time farmers tend to go newer or buy one to keep forever.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My Allis with a loader and bush hog weighs in around 10,000#, with the disc around 11,500. It has hard to find tires on the rear and expensive fronts. A good utility 5000 Ford will run 60-65hp, have decent parts available in most cases and do quite a few jobs, loaders are available. A 6600 is closer to 80hp and will cost the same money roughly, it is bigger with more expensive pieces to repair. A International 684 is comparable in size between the two, Case IH has similar, most of these sized/aged tractors will run from $6500 to $9500 with some newer over $18,000, none of those I had looked at had loaders. Most Kubotas came with loaders, many as package sets, a lot of these are holding value where a 50hp tractor will set you back $22,000 with a loader and base mower. Get on the Tractorhouse site, plug in your zip code for the closest units and dealers, will give you a added point of reference.

chroniekon

I have 30 acres of which 8 are tillable. The rest is forested. My tractor is 45 hp 2wd and handles a 2 bottom plow, an 8 foot disc and a 5 foot brush hog. A bigger tractor would be nice at times for sure, and if your going to have a front loader, 4wd would be very useful. However, the smaller tractor is nice for getting between trees and other tight spots like the garden. Also, it fits on my trailer and I have a rig that will tow it and it fits in a small shed. I guess bottom line, take into consideration the possibilities for other uses.

Andrew_D

For the same dollar figure I can get a 35hp utility tractor or step out to a 80hp line tractor, this is due to the inability to sell the bigger tractors to those that have never ran one or cannot transport one while full time farmers tend to go newer or buy one to keep forever.

That's a good point. While not good to stereotype, those 35hp tractors are usually priced fairly high because they are targeted to acreage owners. Whereas the 70-100hp tractors are likely priced towards small farms.

If you don't mind used (and I certainly don't), let the dealers know what you are looking for. They often know what's coming in on trade (and sometimes already have a buyer lined up) before the trade even gets hauled in.

Andrew

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I know stereotyping isn't good but it is true here, cannot buy a decent utility for what I can buy a row crop for. Hell, I almost bought a 966 IH for less than I bought the 180D for but it really was too big to haul regularly. Old farm we used the Allis on first had issues with thievery, they could not steal it they destroyed it so tow in/out was essential. Now on a rather nice place, no more need to haul and it does much better as do I. Nice barn keeps it at the ready most days. If Allis are available and a Massey dealer with a AGCO Heritage parts distributorship available these are not bad units, very sturdy and simple, lots of aftermarket parts available too so I felt was a good choice as I do most of my own work. D17 Series IV, 170/175 or 180/185 all good units when diesel engine equipped. As I stated tires get a little iffy and expensive but what doesn't anymore. Rears on mine 18.4x28 fronts 9.5Lx15 still available but hang onto the seat when you ask the prices but one set in the long run will outlast me in my lighter uses.

frogfarmer

With 7.5 acres I would be looking in the 40-50hp range. These tractors are what people are using because they are the most versatile. They have enough weight to dig but not so heavy they tear the ground up and are east to get on and off. A 40hp diesel will turn a 7ft bush hog in light mowing conditions but is better suited to a 6ft cutter. Even a 5ft cutter will make quick work of 7 acres. I understand the talk of the larger tractors and the prices they bring but there is a reason. The larger tractors typically burn much more fuel and cost more to service and repair. Another thing to consider is the transmission type. On a small property a hydrostat will really shine and they arent offered in the large tractors. A hydro gives you the ability to go from forward to reverse instantly with the touch of a pedal. If you have much mowing in tight places it pays off big in time savings. I personally like the Kubota utility tractors but Deere has good equipment too. New Holland would be my number one choice but I wouldnt buy anything newer than 20yrs old and the hydros were pretty much non-existant back then. Given your price range a skid steer might be a good option. For the work you describe I would be using one of my skids.

ttazzman

I have to agree with Frogfarmer on this one.......... i have big tractors...small tractors...skidsteers...dozers...etc......for what the original posters is wanting to do from my equipment i would use my John Deere 4500..1999modle...about 15k cost... .......40hp...4wd...loader....shuttle shift....fluid filled tires.....will do what Frogfarmer describes very well.......at a third or forth of the fuel one of my older 80hp john deeres will use.....much easier to manuver and drive....easy to work on....easy to move...i sometimes even pull a small haybine...baler...rake...move big bales.. with it also..these compact/utility tractors do have a purpose..fluid filled tires in my opinion are a must especially with a loader....with any tractor buy a brand that you can get good LOCAL dealer support if you need it........around here John Deere/New Holland/Mahindra/Kubota all have excellent service......with John Deeres and Kubotas costing 25% more for the same tractor due to name....

Good Luck

Edit to add......a tractor loader and bucket are dirt movers.....not dirt diggers....

Slammed379

Well, I couldn't put it off any longer. The grass around my house is taller than I am (But, that's not saying much...). There's a John Deere dealer about three miles from my house so I stopped by there a few times. Nice people and great service. They recommended a 3 series tractor, but I figured the 4 series would just make things easier, so I got a 4105, 33hp, with a loader, 5 foot tiller and 6 foot mower. I hope its everything I need. Thanks again fellas for all the replies.

JD4105.jpg

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
Congrats on the new iron! Hope you got a chance to burn some fuel this weekend.

ttazzman

looks bare without a loader.........i bet you spent every bit of 15k .......every time you mow you will want a bigger mower.....lol.......there is no such thing as too big a mower unless you cant get it between trees

Last edited:

Slammed379

Thanks fellas! So true, I do want a larger tractor already. It took 20 hours to mow my place, too long.

Thanks again for the help!