• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I want to learn a little more about tractors before I buy one, help please.

ttazzman

20hrs???......you need to choose a much higher gear range......i once mowed (bush hogged) 10 acres with a small (40hp) john deere tractor with a 6' rotary cutter and even with thick high brush/grass/weeds to mow it only took 4 hrs...i assume your mowing with a MX6?

for what its worth.....when i "mow" i pretty much run at the same ground speed all the time which is usually a speed i have determined to be the fastest i can go at PTO speed and it still make a clean cut ......if the grass is thick i dont change speed or raise the mower i just take less than full cutter width to take load off the tractor this also lets the cutter clear debris easier........i dont own a hydrostatic tractor so i am not sure exactly how you set your speed etc with one so things might be different.....

Last edited:

fishfighter

Thanks fellas! So true, I do want a larger tractor already. It took 20 hours to mow my place, too long.

Thanks again for the help!

You need to learn how to run it. LOL I have a old Ford 2000 that I clip with a 6' cutter and cut more then 20 ac in 12 hours. Best thing is that I only burn around 10 gallons of diesel in that time. I only cut that twice a year.