• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I have a theory............

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The real issue is that parents drop their kids off and school and think that those kids are now only the school's responsibility. From my experience, the quality of kids coming into any industry or job is directly proportional to the quality of their parents. Bad schools and teachers means bad parents who don't hold the schools and teachers to better standards. How many of you making claims here are members of school boards or even testified at school board meetings? How many have applied some kind of punishment on their kids for poor performance or bad behavior in school? The public school systems only provide the opportunity to get an education. It is up to the parents to ensure their kids take a hold of that opportunity.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
The real issue is that parents drop their kids off and school and think that those kids are now only the school's responsibility. From my experience, the quality of kids coming into any industry or job is directly proportional to the quality of their parents. Bad schools and teachers means bad parents who don't hold the schools and teachers to better standards. How many of you making claims here are members of school boards or even testified at school board meetings? How many have applied some kind of punishment on their kids for poor performance or bad behavior in school? The public school systems only provide the opportunity to get an education. It is up to the parents to ensure their kids take a hold of that opportunity.
When I went to school, I had homework every night. Kids never have homework. I don't even know what my daughter is doing until report cards come. " How's school? Good." " What are you doing now? Stuff."

Welder Dave

I went to a trade school that specifically hired experienced trades people to be the instructors. I say instructors because they would actually show you how to do stuff. What was really sad is that the school was often referred to as a dummy school. I got a welding apprenticeship right out of school at $7.31/hr. while all the smart kids in regular school were fighting for a $3.50/hr. job at McDonalds.

Truck Shop

From my experience, the quality of kids coming into any industry or job is directly proportional to the quality of their parents
Very much so. It goes way beyond that in many cases.
The term {chip off the old block} is probably a perfect term.
Children have a tendency to emulate their parents to a high degree. Simple application-dad or mom
or both driving the kids where ever that never really stop at stop signs-kid learns that sign really
doesn't mean what it says, it's pink and says sort of stop. So the word {no} is actually nothing more
than gray area. Rules are meant to be broke only strange nurdie people obey rules like stop signs.

Society is obsessed with {fast}. I need information fast/right now, an hour is too late and your
holding me up. The information channel of what I'm using right now plus the I-Phone has caused
a break down in responsibility of the people to learn on their own-or by reading a manual. It's too
easy to jump and go to Youtube and merely copy what someone else videoed or quote authority
without any original thought. People of all ages learn far more when faced with the struggle of
dealing with issues more on their own than relying on someone else. I'm old school, I like to look
in a Manual read how a piece operates then go to work.----All of the above is why parts changers
exist, don't know what makes it go and don't care.

The biggest thing a parent can do for their children that will carry for all their days-teach them
to read and comprehend. And make them understand fast means nothing just instant gratification.

The sign below says it all-instant gratification--Garbage in Garbage out.

store-front-sign-pizza-chain-known-as-mod-pizza-superfast-located-snoqualmie-washington-mod-pi...jpg

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
A lack of critical thinking by parents leads to indoctrinated children who can/won't think. Luckily I had a father who went off his rocker when I did dumb stuff when as a young bullet proof fella and the consequences were mine to sort out. It taught me to think before doing stuff was easier than thinking how I was going to overcome the crap I created.
The lack of consequences is also terribly lacking in the world today

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My Mother worked at St Charles MO board of education late 60s, she often stated the schools system was in trouble then where class sizes were nominally 35-45 and totals for a grade year close to 500 for the district while growing. She called the Administrators “Monument Builders” as the old school buildings were fine just needed more satellite schools where the New Design against Student Numbers were massive new engineering marvels to which kids became numbers on a ledger nothing more. Concentrate in massive structures fewer teachers to cost the district and gave up caring if children failed while being shipped into next grade level like cattle regardless if ready.

My first years were in the old satellite small school, batter teacher attention and ability to aid those struggling to actually make the grade. My final years were in a cattle pen so I quit.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
To be honest, about 90% of what I learned after grade 9 has been absolutely useless to me so far in life.

School ruined a ton of stuff for me. As a kid I loved reading, I'd chew through a stack of books in a month. Then English class comes along and I can't just read a book for the enjoyment. Oh no, they had to suck absolutely every last drop of joy out of reading. I'd have to read a chapter, answer questions about it. Then at the end of the book, write a character or story analysis essay. Like I honestly give a **** about the underlying theme, I just want enjoy the story.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
The blind leading the blind in many instances. I never graduated conventional high school myself as seen it far too much of a time waster for what I was capable of achieving on my own. However, several years later I returned to evening classes and do have a high school diploma earned through this action. Instead of a yet needed 2.5 years to garner credit requirements, I did it in six months.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I guess I'm on the other end of the education spectrum. My top degree is a BS in ME but I hated sitting at a desk and I'm not fit to live in congested civilization. It does help with some of what I do, at times. Common sense and the will to work hard are the most important factors that have made me successful and to be able to live the life I want.

Anyone can succeed here in the USA, but only if they want to. Life is a selection of choices and it's all up to the individual to what level that they wish to find success. Losers make excuses, winners think, adapt and overcome with logical choices. It's not rocket science to be successful but it will take effort and good choices. Too bad much of today's youth is not taught this mantra.

Welder Dave

I read something from Gene Simmons a while ago. He says a lot of controversial things but as far as success I liked what he said. It was along the lines of, Sometimes having a little luck and being in the right place at the right time can be all you need to kickstart your success. It still takes a lot of hard work and effort but a little good luck is all some people need. There was a No Fear poster years ago:
"You must always push the limits
because if you never fail
you will never succeed"

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had to have every diploma or cert I received from HS out and DD214 to get on at the utility
GED, Trade School, every engine co program and ASE cert I ever had. Then they somehow pulled up my final SAT from HS in some electronic record.

joe--h

All those certs are good for what?

Had a repair shop for 30 years, not one customer ever asked me if I had a business license, use tax permit, hazardous waste permit, fire permit, ASE certs, nothing.

They did ask could I fix it & why did it cost so much.

Joe H

Welder Dave

It might be a different story if something you fixed was involved in an accident. Not necessarily because the repair or part was faulty but because it may be a requirement to have all these certificates in order to operate a repair shop. Kind of along the lines a person causes an accident with a legally impaired driver. Impaired driver can automatically be found at fault even if they did nothing wrong.