• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I found another loader for cheap

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Engineer (AT UNI), Heavy equipment owner/ operator
Gday heres the pics of the loader i have so far, i reckon with some TLC this machine could be a really good first piece of VERY heavy equipment. My intended use for it will be:

>> Removing stumps
>> Moving heavy rocks
>> Bulldozing over small tree
>> When money allows maybe a fail machine on the front to demolish scrub

any other ideas or thoughts most welcome

happy weekend all in Australia, and what ever day it is in other parts of the wrold
:D
Alex

Attachments

• gc4721803903367496089.jpg
    gc4721803903367496089.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 558
  • gc5038895004453319270.jpg
    gc5038895004453319270.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 608
  • gc5340407293396798470.jpg
    gc5340407293396798470.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 586
  • gc5097880066357595265.jpg
    gc5097880066357595265.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 577
  • gc5379343212865588396.jpg
    gc5379343212865588396.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 589

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Farmer Alex, that loader will certainly do all of those things and do it easy, we do all of that with much smaller loaders. My only concern is that it is an old machine, you haven't said how many hours, but because of the size, any repairs are going to be big dollars, if the parts are sill available. I guess if you can buy it cheap enough, work it till it stops and when it has a major heamorage, you will get a bit back for scrap.

RnR.

FarmerAlex

Occupation
RocknRoses sorry about that was going to put up the details.

It has currently has 5883 hours on the clock.
Its a 1981 model, so im thinking a 175 b.

Given that on all tractors i have run, ones that i own and work on the general overhaul period for an engine is 10000 hours. So i should have plenty of life left in it.

The reason i prefer to be a bit bigger is that i wont stress it as much hopefully addiing to the longevity.

The only concern i have is the torque converter, given that Clark is no longer round i might be able to pick up a modern day derivative to drop in there.

How feasible is it to road a machine like this??? Theres a lot of contractors who do road their machinery. I'm just wondering if people have trouble with registration and axle loading limits etc.

Many thanks
Alex :D

RocksnRoses

Occupation
If those hours are genuine, it should have a lot of life left in it. We road our loaders all the time around here. It really depends on where you are and how often you want to road it. If you are out in the sticks on back roads as far as I am concerned, the less said the better, just do it. If you think you need to do it legally, you would have to speak to the DOT and see what the regulations are. In this state machines can be registered to drive on the roads as long as they have flashing lights and stop and turn lights. Weight would really only be an issue if you are crossing bridges. If all else fails, you would have to float it.

RnR.

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Will go and have a look at it i think, see how well it drives. I think 15,000 is a bit much for it, hopefully i might be able to negotiate a better price.

How reliable are the Detroit motors?
Is there any special areas i should look at for wear on a machine like this?
What horsepower is this? i have read 385hp, but i've also read its less than that
What sort of road speed can i expect to get out of it?

thanks again
alex :D

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Detroit motors use a bit more fuel, make lots of noise and leak oil, but if they are in good nick, they are very reliable. When looking at the machine, run the engine, look for the obvious signs, try and start it cold, check that it is not blowing blue smoke when working, check the pins and bushes on the loader frame for wear, place the bucket on the ground, apply and release downward pressure on it and watch the loader frame in front of the cab for movement. If it moves backwards and forwards, the articulation bearings are worn. Drive the machine, dig and push material with it and if it does all that easy, there really is not much more than you can do.

I am not familiar with that machine, so I have no idea what horsepower it is and what road speed it will travel at. Our Komatsu's travel a bit over 30 kmh.

I read in a later thread, that this machine doesn't have a Detroit engine in it, what engine does it have in it?

RnR.

Last edited:

Komatsu 150

I'm not saying that the hours on the clock are not correct but hour meters from the era were not very reliable. We've had machines that I changed the hour meters three and four times in their lifetime.

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Sorry i haven't reposted back on here, had a car accident and uni exams so been tied up. Now about the loader, i had a look at it last weekend, it has been bogged in the mud, pretty close to sitting on its guts...

The engine is a 6cly cummins diesel, the guy assures me that it is original.
The guages all seem to work when the battery is switched on, so thats a plus, the cab seat is in good condition.

When i asked him to fire it up, he tried to use his ute to jump start it, never the less he just sat there with the starter relay bouncing on the spring, however it did turn the motor over.

The history of the machine is that he bought it off a bloke who used to run a forestry company, he lost his contract and just parked the machine, now this bloke bought it, has done some work with it and has bogged/parked it too. Now he wants to get rid of it.

Apparently he told me that it is in good operating condition????.

It seems like most things on it are quite serviceable, with cleaning im sure it could be a good machine.

the only issue i have is he is asking 15000, way to much in my opinion.

What do others think it is worth??? or should i just dodge it and look for another machine

Cheers

Alex :D

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
I wouldn't worry too much about the Clark converter, lots of rebuilders out there and parts still available through that outfit that Volvo sold the parts too or Clark/Hurth transmission. Detroit engines are used a lot and work well, they do tend to slobber and leak a lot.