• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I found another loader for cheap

Wulf

I'm thinking it's a 988, might look smaller cuz it's missing some parts and it's buried in the weeds......probably blew an engine, and thiose D342's are getting hard to find parts for...

Is that really a D342?... I worked on Caterpillars years ago and it looks something like a 1693, it also looks naturally aspirated (no turbo) :beatsme

Serv

I'm thinking it's a 988, might look smaller cuz it's missing some parts and it's buried in the weeds......probably blew an engine, and thiose D342's are getting hard to find parts for...we run a bunch of 824/825B rollers, and cat's discontinued a lot of the parts for them. You'd think the guy would want the scrap money for it.
alan627b

I hate to sound like such a pack rat, but should I try to do something with it or is this one better off left alone? As for the guy wanting scrap money for it, there is a good chance the guy isn't around anymore. It may belong to an old lady now for all we know. I can certainly find out. You can't see by my photos, but the property is in complete shambles. Would it be worth trying to move this loader 8 miles to my new yard even if it's just to park it there? I have no shortage of space at my new place. machinerytrader has a dismantled machine section. Maybe I could put up an ad and part it out. :beatsme

How on earth could I load this onto a trailer without paying big bucks? Would a four axle folding neck lowboy and a winch truck do the trick? There are many oilfield companies in my area that I personally know. Being in the tire business for so long, I can honestly say I'd be afraid to air the tires up on that machine.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hi Serv, your a sucker for punishment aren't you. That sure looks like a 980 to me. Anyway, down at my brothers farm he was selling some sand to a development. The contractor picked up a 980B for $18K that nobody wanted and said it was screwed. He got it to the farm, spent some money, mainly on rubber and it loaded trucks for months....cost him $30K all up and thats what he sold it for when the contract finished.....cheap loading if you ask me.

Good Luck

Serv

Hi Serv, your a sucker for punishment aren't you.

You can't blame a guy for trying to have a little fun. Besides, I think that old ugly thing would look nice in the corner of my yard. :D Believe it or not, I would probably try to crank that thing up the day I move it if I could verify the engine wasn't blown.

That sure looks like a 980 to me.

I've looked around on machinerytrader, but I can't find anything that old or pinpoint even a year model. I'm heading out that way today, maybe I should stop by and take a better look? where do you think I can find a serial number or ID plate on it?

Anyway, down at my brothers farm he was selling some sand to a development. The contractor picked up a 980B for $18K that nobody wanted and said it was screwed. He got it to the farm, spent some money, mainly on rubber and it loaded trucks for months....cost him $30K all up and thats what he sold it for when the contract finished.....cheap loading if you ask me.

Good Luck

Nice story, thanks. :D

surfer-joe

I'm thinking it's a 988. I might be wrong but I seem to recall the 980's of this vintage having the small 336 V-8 engine, but it's hard to remember back that far, plus I was never around either one much, thankfully. It is missing a lot of sheet metal and it is hard to tell.

The D342 and the 1693 were very similar, maybe the same. The 1693 was mostly in trucks.

Best way to load her out serv, is to remove the engine and transmission, sell them for parts, and cut the rest up for scrap metal or sell it to a scrappie and split the loot with him. Basically worthless other than that.

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
I'm thinking if it's an inline six I see there, it's an old 988. An old operators manual I've got lying around for the 42H 980 shows it had a dual overhead cam V8 as Surfer-Joe said. I believe the six cylinder in the 988 was the D343 (5.4" x 6.5"), the industrial equivalent of the 1693 truck engine. The D342 (5.75" x 8") is a completely different engine.

Loaderman380

Occupation
Operator for an underground utility company
I agree with 72V and Rusted, I think it'sa 988A also. I spent a couple of years in one back in the late 70's

Jt D9G

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Grease Monkey/Laborer
Hey, The Clark-Michigan 175B's are pretty much impossible to kill, where i work we have 2 both with 8V71 Detroits and a 175 IIIA with a 6V71, Good Loaders, i can't complain about any of them,pretty easy to work on also when you haveto. I agree with everyone about that Cat Loader being a 988A, have 2 of those also, and spent some time on those.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF Rusted! :drinkup

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF Jt D9G! :drinkup

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Engineer (AT UNI), Heavy equipment owner/ operator
HI there all, i have come across a Clark 175 just wondering what these loaders were like. He's asking 15000 for it, wonder if its worth considering. Has a log claw on it at the moment.

Komatsu 150

HI there all, i have come across a Clark 175 just wondering what these loaders were like. He's asking 15000 for it, wonder if its worth considering. Has a log claw on it at the moment.

Need to be more specific as to which series. The 175 changed hugely from the first series to the last. Size, weight, steering systems, everything.

FarmerAlex

Occupation

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
They came equipped from the factory with dozer blades alex.Highway construction used them a lot to push fill and for high speed grading.Ron G

Komatsu 150

And in the winter of 79 the big contractor around here started up their Michigan dozer and used it to push snow back from the curbs. Hadn't been run in years but they still had it parked behind the shop.

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Thanks for that Ron, I haven't had a look at it personally yet, will see what others think of it and then make a decision.

Cheerio

Alex

shooterm

Occupation
Operator
Couple of 175's we always had parked at the pit. In total I think we had six of them. Still used them abit on smaller dirt work jobs but mainly put wings on them for snowplowing. Made for extremely quik plowing(funny those lots are done now by pickups). I really liked how simple these machines are and pretty much indestructible.