• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I blew up my Detroit

Bluox

Sorry to rain on your parade but they do still make 30 and 40 wt oil for Detroits. Delo 100 is rated CF2 for 2 stroke engines. Very popular in Marine engine use.
I did not say there was not a 30 or 40 wt oil I said that web sight called out a oil spec that doesn't exist any more Ace.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Wait, What?

“Cummins X-15 overhead adjustments
can run 500,000 before adjustment.”

Has an x15 ever went that long without dropping a liner or breaking a crank?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Moved a lot of Delo 100 40wt CF-2 to the Dutch Harbor fleet. Can even use it in the 149’s. Anchorage FD for their old ladder trucks with 8v-92’s and the Juneau bus tour companies with old fleets.

Vetech63

I did not say there was not a 30 or 40 wt oil I said that web sight called out a oil spec that doesn't exist any more Ace.
OMG!......It has finally happened! I get to bust Bluox's balls for once in my life............I am so EXCITED I can't sit still! I feel like NOW I can even the score, it feels like I have just won the Powerball Lotto ;)

It's SITE..........not sight:p:D TAKE THAT!!! ;):)

Bluox

OMG!......It has finally happened! I get to bust Bluox's balls for once in my life............I am so EXCITED I can't sit still! I feel like NOW I can even the score, it feels like I have just won the Powerball Lotto ;)

It's SITE..........not sight:p:D TAKE THAT!!! ;):)
Crap busted by the spelling Nazi ,but ya gotta give me points for spelling Bob with only one o.
Bob

Rustyfender

Occupation
Equipment operator
Just be aware that what ever you buy could have been completely changed from a different model in the past. What I mean is that I have swapped blowers from one side of an engine block to a different side before. Have swapped camshafts and ballance shafts from 1 side to another on 53's. Sometimes we had to move the Idler Gear of the gear train to make a different configuration. As kshansen showed in his above post there is 4 kinds of left hand engines and 4 right hand engines. Even if you have a serial number, that is not a absolutely guaranteed to be the style of engine you need. Just be careful before buying . I built 1 Engine from about 6or7 wrecks. Take care.
Simon C
The 471 I bough was older, 2 valve . I want to put my 4 valve head on it, I have not tore into the engine yet, going to see how good it runs when the weather is a little less wet. But if I do deceided to go 4 valve route, and this is an older engine with a head gasket what all will I be up against? I am thinking a lot of work and $$$$$$

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I seem to recall the two valve engines were low blocks and used the head gasket while the four valve engine were high block and used the fire rings around the liners and o rings around the oil and water ports.

HATCHEQUIP

2 valve had fire rings also when they were on high block . 4 valve also had advanced timing and different size window ports in the liners and i think pistons to get all the ponys . some one double check me on that but i think thats correct

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Again, I seem to remember the two valve heads were thinner and couldn’t be used on the high blocks. I do know the advanced cam timing was on the engines with N injectors. I worked on some bus engines that had split ports. I don’t recall any difference in the size of standard ported liners. That was way too long ago and those things don’t get remembered well in the heat of a rebuild.

Bluox

The 471 I bough was older, 2 valve . I want to put my 4 valve head on it, I have not tore into the engine yet, going to see how good it runs when the weather is a little less wet. But if I do deceided to go 4 valve route, and this is an older engine with a head gasket what all will I be up against? I am thinking a lot of work and $$$$$$
What is the serial number on your block the 4A- number ?
Does it have head bolts or studs with nuts?
The high block motors used 2 valve heads.
Bob

Last edited:

Truck Shop

IMO-He probably ended up with one of those really rare {in between blocks not low or high and has bolts plus studs
with oval liner ports.

Bluox

Hell it might be one of those rare 3 valve heads between the 2 and 4 valve heads .
I have never figured out how the fire rings end up on top of the liners and not on the pistons.
Might have something to do with 15w-40 oil.
Bob

63 caveman

Has anybody seen a blown up 2 valve 71 series engine? If it fits I would just swap them out.

Where is junkyard in all of this?

Truck Shop

21 years ago I was cleaning out the storage area at the previous shop I ran. I dropped a perfectly good
running 4 valve 4-71 from the highest point the forklift would reach into a scrap dumpster. :)
I advertised it {free} nobody wanted it. It made a nice crunching sound as it landed.:)

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I seem to recall the two valve engines were low blocks and used the head gasket while the four valve engine were high block and used the fire rings around the liners and o rings around the oil and water ports.
All I know is some 2 valve engines had the high blocks. We took an old 2 valve 4 cylinder engine that was in a Northwest crane and rebuilt to be used as a stationary engine to run a crusher. When we did we replaced the 2 valve head with a 4 valve head and installed N injectors with I advanced timing. Forget what size, may N-65?

That engine is still sitting in the store room at the shop where it has been for something like 15 years after it was used for one or two seasons running the crusher. Stopped by to talk to my former boss a few weeks back and he said he has fired it up at least once in the last year. Other than a bit of dust from sitting it looks like it was just assembled last week! Biggest problem is the quarry is owned by a large multi-nation corporation and trying to get someone to agree to sell it would take a major effort and they would probably think it was worth ten time the going price for an old Detroit!

Vetech63

Geez......can you return it and get your money back? You are just opening a whole new can of worms.:eek: