• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I blew up my Detroit

mekanik

I rebuilt a few Detroit Diesel engines over the years. The ones that ran 15w40
the top compression ring were always stuck in the ring grooves. A coworker
with lots of Detroit Diesel experience told me that 15w40 was the reason for that.
Detroit Diesel called for low detergent oil for their two strokes.

Vetech63

with lots of Detroit Diesel experience told me that 15w40 was the reason for that.
That top compression ring being stuck in the ring groove is common on high hour engines. I cant say I buy the oil type causing that issue, its more of a combination of dirt infiltration in the airbox....even more so the major cause is incorrect injector timing or insufficient atomization causing excessive heat.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I believe I've come to the conclusion to not bring up this topic anymore as it always gets to be quite a topic of discussion. The 2 stroke Detroit is an old engine, and had a very unique oil appetite because of its design. Detroit themselves determined what oil worked best for those engines for maximum life and performance including a sulfated ash content of 1.0% or lower, Detroit worked out the science on this. Multigrade oils came along near the end of the life of the 2 stroke, and there were problems noted by large fleet owners when they switched to using multigrade oil, problems they weren't having previously with SAE30 or 40, increased oil consumption, ring failure, which prompted Detroit to produce a bulletin recommending not using multigrade oil. That was then. Yes, over time now, perhaps multgrade oil chemistry has improved over the early oils and will work with no real issues. Again, we're talking about old engines here. All I'm saying is the preferred oil in those engines by Detroit themselves is SAE40, SAE30 in extreme cold climates.

Bluox

So how did the oil get to the fire ring?
Bob

Vetech63

I believe I've come to the conclusion to not bring up this topic anymore as it always gets to be quite a topic of discussion
On the contrary, this topic alone should have its own thread. It can be like a giant pillow fight!:D I mean, who wouldn't want to smack Bluox a few times! LOL:p:D;)

Last edited:

56wrench

Many, many years ago before i had any detroit experience other than running ts14's, i was working at a small ag dealership and the owner took in trade a Hesston Harvest Queen SP silage chopper with a 6V53( if i remember correctly). It was slobbering oil out of the air-box drains and he made me plug them so he could sell it. He didn't want any potential buyers scared away due to the messy discharge. He was the guy that signed my paycheque so i did it his way. Years after I often wondered how long it ran before it sucked enough oil through the ports to cause problems

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I was in a Cummins school for the A, B and C engines in the nineties when this issue came up. The instructor stated that it was Cummin's specification to use 15W40 oils in their engine and not straight grades. He showed us lots of photos of what straight grade oils did to the pistons of their engines. At that time he also stated that Detroit two cycle engines required straight grade 40wt.

FYI, here is a site where a supplier is recommending 40wt straight grade oil for 2 strokes.

https://www.barringtondieselclub.co.za/detroit/detroit-diesel-oil-analysis.html

Rustyfender

Occupation
Equipment operator
I have been working on the 471 trying to switch over a few components , then I noticed there must be 2 different crankshafts on 471, 1 with a harmonic balence and 1 with out? I
Am thinking this is a problem!ad I was wanting to switch the pullys

Attachments

• BA056ACE-C99C-4546-90EC-C8527319C3DE.jpeg
    BA056ACE-C99C-4546-90EC-C8527319C3DE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
  • BD937D27-C521-480F-B829-955EF034A42B.jpeg
    BD937D27-C521-480F-B829-955EF034A42B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 44

Rustyfender

Occupation
Equipment operator
Thank you , I will go out and try to pull them off and see, looks like it will take quite a pull

Bluox

Oil threads-I was the one who posted pages from detroit manual showing the use of 15x40.

What oil should I run in a briggs?
If you join the Barrington engine club they have that info, you know the DD experts that recommend change oil every 150 hours and the filter at 450 hours?
The 30 or 40 wt. oil that doesn't exist any more.
Ya gotta love these experts these guys come up with but I guess these may be somewhat closer than Willes used Grayhound bus salesman in Texas selling wore out buses to Mexico 25 years ago.
Bob

oarwhat

If you join the Barrington engine club they have that info, you know the DD experts that recommend change oil every 150 hours and the filter at 450 hours?
The 30 or 40 wt. oil that doesn't exist any more.
Ya gotta love these experts these guys come up with but I guess these may be somewhat closer than Willes used Grayhound bus salesman in Texas selling wore out buses to Mexico 25 years ago.
Bob

Sorry to rain on your parade but they do still make 30 and 40 wt oil for Detroits. Delo 100 is rated CF2 for 2 stroke engines. Very popular in Marine engine use.