• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hydraulic return filter plugged

casby

hey guys, I've got a 322cl, serial # hek01064, and the cab screen says hydraulic return filter plugged, so I replace the filter, and the message still shows up. The message only comes on after approx. 20 min of use at working temp and comes off after idling down and sitting for 5 min. could this be a filter sensor issue? Aside from the message, there's no noticeable difference in operation. Thanks.

casby

126-2081 was the filter I used
I did dissect the old filter and there was zero evidence of any contamination.
hydraulic oil sample was done a year ago with normal results

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Did you change all the hydraulic system filters or just the one you mention above which you thought was putting the plugged filter light on..?
How long since the hydraulic oil was last changed and what grade/brand of oil are you using..?

casby

I just changed the return filter that was sending the message.
This machine is new to me but I have the service history from cat, and I can't find exactly when the hydraulic system was changed lasts but looks like within the last 2000 hours. There was an SOS sample done around 600 hours ago as well.

heymccall

Case drain and pilot filter should also be changed. Remember to relieve tank pressure first.
I change all 3 @ 2000 hours, but, technically, the case drain and pilot filter may be suggested at every 1000h in the book.

And, yes, the restriction sensor may be wonky. I know I changed quite a few on my B excavators.

1733518 indicator... $226
1597784 seal, Oring... $4

Water entry under the sticker has been the usual failure.Screenshot_20190710-101319_Chrome.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not at all familiar with 322 but does the wiring from the filter go through a swivel or any place that has movement. Could be something other than the switch/sensor giving the signal to the indicator?

Might be worth unplugging at filter and temporarily connecting a meter to the switch in the filter to see if in fact it is the one causeing the indicator to turn on. I believe the switch in the filter is a normally closed switch that when contacts open it turns on the indicator.

Another idea along the same line would be to unplug the harness at the filter and jumper the harness contacts then run machine to see if the indicator comes on like when it is plugged in.

Nige

....I can't find exactly when the hydraulic system was changed lasts but looks like within the last 2000 hours. There was an SOS sample done around 600 hours ago as well.
Did the sample from 600 hours ago include an ISO Cleanliness Code Number..? If not I would suggest another sample ASAP and make sure the analysis includes that value. It’s not included in a standard analysis as far as I recall.

casby

Did the sample from 600 hours ago include an ISO Cleanliness Code Number..? If not I would suggest another sample ASAP and make sure the analysis includes that value. It’s not included in a standard analysis as far as I recall.
correction: the last oil sample was done 100 hours ago and the results came back all normal. The dealer thought the ISO code was part of it.
there is 10-30 hydraulic oil FYI.

heymccall: I'll get the pilot and case drain filter replaced as well.

kshansen: I took the indicator out and the wires were all in mint condition. There was no dirt or moisture in there. I'll try unplugging it and jumping the harness to see what happens.

casby

what part of the print out from the results would say the ISO Code? The reason I said it was normal was because in 2014 there was a test done where the "ISO Code is slightly higher than normal" but the last sample in 2018 the results were normal. the 2018 results was done 100 machine hours ago. Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 9.04.56 PM.png

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That seems to be the usual type of result on reports in the last couple of years. "It's normal" and then provide no information. I guess the great yellow oracle has spoken, there are no worries.

Nige

ISO is within acceptable limits at 17/12 (should be 18/15 or less) but without mention of how many hours was on the oil when it was sampled does not make interpretation very easy. ISO was significantly above recommended levels previously. This could have potentially affected component life.

Silicon well into single figures always pleases me.