• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hydraulic return filter plugged

casby

So with that, and the return filter already being changed (pilot and case drain filter being put in as soon as I have them, would the next step be look more into the indicator? The fact that the message goes on and off very consistently for me rules out the indicator. Am I wrong?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I was wondering if there was a way to install a couple gauges in the lines to and from the filter to actually see the pressure drop across the filter? Not sure if there is a published spec. for what triggers the indicator.

Also seems odd that it comes on after 20 minutes at working temp. Would seem that if there was in fact a restriction turning on the indicator it would be more likely to be triggered with cold oil. Unless there is something programmed into the monitor software to not turn on the indicator till oil temp reaches a predetermined temperature.

casby

I’ll get another sample done.

Kshansen: I really don’t see how to put guages on there? The return goes straight into the tank. You’d probably knew better than me, but before I start ripping into things, I’ll get a sample done I think and go from there. Thanks guys

heymccall

Did you assemble the return canister correctly? I dont think it'll drop then turn 180° without the seal plates being lined up, but, just wondering.

heymccall

Screenshot_20190711-184619_Chrome.jpg Thinking harder at this, the cooler or even the slow return check can't raise return pressure if they're restrictedScreenshot_20190711-184118_Chrome.jpg , so, since the switch is obviously working, then the filter bypass valve is the most suspect part. #2

Attachments

• 273198807-Cat-320cl-Schema-Hydraulic-System.pdf
    491.6 KB · Views: 6

casby

Did you assemble the return canister correctly? I dont think it'll drop then turn 180° without the seal plates being lined up, but, just wondering.
I did re-install as shown on the canister. (pull up, half turn, then all the way out and reverse for install).

the valve assembly would require the tank emptied and pull the filter body right off?

KiwiPete

I did re-install as shown on the canister. (pull up, half turn, then all the way out and reverse for install).

the valve assembly would require the tank emptied and pull the filter body right off?
Were you able to figure this issue out at all ??