• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hydraulic dieseling

td25c

Have a safe trip ianjoub .:cool:

Be careful who you rent the boat from . :)

serveimage

That crew is known for " dieseling " & " cavitation " . :D

serveimage

terex herder

I was worried I was gonna see a repeat of tctractors again. Looks like all is well here !
":D Jus' kiddin. How many folks know what a sacrificial anode is, let alone where it's at ?"
Any takers on fwf's question ? Google searches are prohibited.

Whats all this $hit about boats? Them anodes is burried in the ground, rite by the pipeline.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Well, I was looking for the one in a traditional truck/ tractor cooling system...
But you guys had to be different o_O...
I'm surprised no one said the water heater.:rolleyes:
I guess the weird thing is, what was I talking about :oops:, oh , everybody has a different go to answer , and their all right. Except Ianjoub, sailboats prop, everyone knows sailboats ain't got no props, they got them jet nozzle thingys :D:p

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Changed many a water pump 'Pencil' sacrificial anode in the old Detroit Diesels. Also chucked many a Zinc block into the hull of a River Tow while performing maintenance on one, also sacrificial anodes. My own Mercruiser outdrives had Anode castings attached to the lower units. LOADS of Sacrificial Anodes including most apprentices!!!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I missed reading this thread till just this morning, not trying to toss fuel on a fire so to speak but the only "official" place I saw mention of this dieseling before seeing the post by Nige was in the service manual for our 988H. Last page of the "Install Hoist Cylinder" section.

Attachments

• 988H Loader hoist cyl.pdf
    102 KB · Views: 6

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
So as someone who has never heard of hydraulic dieselling, could someone give some explaination? What caused the seals in the cylinder in the first post to disintegrate? Was it the chemical composition of diesel? The way diesel behaves vs oil when under pressure/vacuum? Or a lack of lubrication due to the oil being dilluted?

Besides a careless operator dumping diesel in the hydraulic tank, is it even possible to get cross contamination? I can't think of a way its possible.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
OK if you have air in a hydraulic circuit and then you exercise that function to the end of travel you will have air and oil mixed . Compressed very very tightly that will cause spontaneous combustion just like diesel that's why it is called dieseling The disintegration was caused by the tremendous heat and pressure exerted on the cylinders head.
It has nothing to do with the presence of diesel it is the combustion process that is taking place

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Any oil can feed a diesel in essence. Large ocean diesels actually run on bunker oil, Detroit diesels will run just fine until cook on motor oil, hydraulic is just another available combustible.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
Ii have not personally seen this with a hydraulic cylinder. BUT I have seen it in a piston type accumulator as fitted to cat scrapers .An operator not understanding how an accumulator works decided to try and improve the ride by adding air to the Schroder charging valve. as it just happens to be the same type of valve that is used on a car tyre
Mark

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
OK if you have air in a hydraulic circuit and then you exercise that function to the end of travel you will have air and oil mixed . Compressed very very tightly that will cause spontaneous combustion just like diesel that's why it is called dieseling The disintegration was caused by the tremendous heat and pressure exerted on the cylinders head.
It has nothing to do with the presence of diesel it is the combustion process that is taking place

Ah ok! Never heard the term before. Guess I took it too literally hahaha. Everything makes sense now, thanks!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Atomized combustible fluid/air mixture under intense compression/pressure you might say.....

To add to that, compression of air heats the air to a temperature sufficient to ignite the combustible fuel. The heat generated by the compression of air is the source of ignition.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
So as someone who has never heard of hydraulic dieselling, could someone give some explaination.?
Rather than the word, think more about how a compression ignition engine works and what is required to generate the bang in the cylinder. Oxygen + any combustible fluid + compression. It doesn’t need diesel contamination in the system to cause dieseling. If you go back to page 2 there is a post where I attempted to verbalize it better.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
...think more about how a compression ignition engine works and what is required to generate the bang in the cylinder. Oxygen + any combustible fluid + compression.

To repeat and sum up some of what was said above, and muddy the water a little further, if that's possible, "compression ignition engines" are only called "Diesel" engines because they were invented by Rudolph Diesel. "Diesel" (an adjective) fuel is called that because it's mostly used to run that kind of engine. It's just as correct to call it number 2 fuel oil. "Dieseling" (a verb) describes the spontaneous bang which occurs when a combustible substance is ignited by the heat of compression, whether that occurs with #2 fuel oil in one of Mr. Diesel's engines, or hydraulic fluid in a cylinder. Does that make sense?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Whats all this $hit about boats? Them anodes is burried in the ground, rite by the pipeline.

No. I heard an old operator explain it to a young laborer one time. He dug one of those things up, and the kid asked what it was. "That's the antidote" the old guy explained. "It's what keeps the pipe from rusting."

Now that does kinda make sense...

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
No. I heard an old operator explain it to a young laborer one time. He dug one of those things up, and the kid asked what it was. "That's the antidote" the old guy explained. "It's what keeps the pipe from rusting."

Now that does kinda make sense...

Sometimes plain English is more situationally appropriate than proper Anglish. :p