• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hydraulic dieseling

Shimmy1

Interesting. I hadn't realized how tight the springs had gotten wound, but it sounds like things have come around. When a guy reaches a certain level of knowledge, experience, and confidence, I personally don't believe there is anyone at that level that isn't going to bow his neck a little (or a lot, lol) when somebody disagrees with his ideas. However, in my opinion, how he handles himself in these situations is the true measure of his worth. I'm sure I have jumped into a hole a few times over the years, and I'm certain I'll do it again. Hopefully everyone has pulled their horns back in and life goes on.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Interesting. I hadn't realized how tight the springs had gotten wound, but it sounds like things have come around. When a guy reaches a certain level of knowledge, experience, and confidence, I personally don't believe there is anyone at that level that isn't going to bow his neck a little (or a lot, lol) when somebody disagrees with his ideas. However, in my opinion, how he handles himself in these situations is the true measure of his worth. I'm sure I have jumped into a hole a few times over the years, and I'm certain I'll do it again. Hopefully everyone has pulled their horns back in and life goes on.

I made a similar comment on my thread. Suggested a group hug. Miller suggested boxing gloves!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I'm a slugger not a hugger.
That said, I tried to stay civil. This thread wasn't even about the earlier disagreement. It was supposed to make folks aware of the possibility that dieseling could occur.
I feel like a dummy, letting myself get pulled into a dialogue over this. I appreciate the support I got, I also appreciate the opposing point of view, without it, we dont learn or think critically.

BigWrench55

I agree with everything everyone has said. But let’s not forget that this forum is to get help and receive information. Let’s be clear about the help and information that we are giving. I’ve read and followed this thread. And I have to tell you that if I was a newbie asking that same question and got back this feedback. I would be scared sh!tless that I messed up my equipment or have a potential time bomb. As a seasoned veteran And seen this many many times. I know that this isn’t all that serious of an issue and that could be remedied easily and without all the drama. Give the answer that is being requested and save the rest for the proper time. Again I agree with all but sometimes we can give to much information and hinder rather then help.

580bob

I don't think this thread is about this so called dieseling in the real world its called cavitation plain and simple wording to the point plain and simple
no diesel involved just air and hydraulic oil

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I don't think this thread is about this so called dieseling in the real world its called cavitation plain and simple wording to the point plain and simple
no diesel involved just air and hydraulic oil

Oh shoot!!! here we go again...

just kidding ;)

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I WAS just about to ask.. why its called dieseling.. when we're talking about hydraulics.. but post 27 cleared it right up.. thanks Bob..
I've never heard that expression before.. other than a "run-on" after the key was turned off..
I'm up to speed now.. Carry-on..

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I hope this article can shed some light on the subject for anyone who's interested. The text also includes a definition of the process..............

Speaking just for myself I would describe the difference between cavitation and dieseling as "cavitation involves a non-flammable fluid (think engine coolant boiling on the outside surface of cylinder liners) where dieseling involves a flammable fluid". Taken to its basic level one is a bubble bursting, the other is a mini-explosion, an uncontrolled mini-diesel engine if you will. Comparing the potential effects of the two is like comparing the effects of a cherry bomb to those of a blasting cap.

Attachments

• Service Mag M0075238.pdf
    164.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

CatKC

[QUOTE="Nige, post:
Speaking just for myself I would describe the difference between cavitation and dieseling as "cavitation involves a non-flammable fluid (think engine coolant boiling on the outside surface of cylinder liners) where dieseling involves a flammable fluid". Taken to its basic level one is a bubble bursting, the other is a mini-explosion, an uncontrolled mini-diesel engine if you will. Comparing the potential effects of the two is like comparing the effects of a cherry bomb to those of a blasting cap.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU! I was getting lost in the argu. . . 'discussions' and was confused about what was being 'discussed'.
Your explanation saves me from beginning to believe I was loosing cognitive functioning of my mind . . . . . at least for today.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Electrolysis is another function that is oft ignored. Added electrical features of more recent note that develop ground issues end up with opportunistic electrical flow thru systems never intended, that in turn sets up electrolytic decay or transference of dissimilar metals or alloys(cross plating or metal pitting). Saw this to some extent in the electricity industry support equipment but has been slowly volume building in commercial equipment as well.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I hear ya Miller..
Its obvious in injection pumps that the machine has been "welded on"..
The main gov, spring gets "stretched" to double its size..
Its kinda funny when I ask/email a customer 600 miles away & ask them>> what did u weld on your machine??
I get a chuckle most of the time & then get asked>> How did u know.?? We welded hooks on the bucket as long as the machine was gonna be down..
Then I ask>> did u un-hook the batteries?? The answer is obviously NO..
But yes, I see it quite often.. The welder is grounded/clamped to the machine & the batteries are left hooked-up & POW.. the hi voltage is sent thru the machine & effects all sorts of components..
I've seen electric solenoids inside AND outside the pumps, "melted"..
& its funny when they "deny it".. NOPE no welding.. I say, well "someone" did & it wasn't ME.. lol

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Electrolysis is another function that is oft ignored. Added electrical features of more recent note that develop ground issues end up with opportunistic electrical flow thru systems never intended, that in turn sets up electrolytic decay or transference of dissimilar metals or alloys(cross plating or metal pitting). Saw this to some extent in the electricity industry support equipment but has been slowly volume building in commercial equipment as well.

There you go with all your high faluting fancy college boy words. How's I supposed understand all them big words? You just trying to keep me down. :(
:D Jus' kiddin. How many folks know what a sacrificial anode is, let alone where it's at?
I tried to stay away and let this die. But ya'all are havin too much fun :)

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
" Adiabatic" heating>> WTH?? Just who do these people think they're talking too??!! :rolleyes:

THAT REMINDS ME OF THE WORD>> "LUBRICITY" When someone is talking about diesel fuel..

I 'member stanadyne saying, yer fuel ain't got no lubricity, that's why it failed. Funny Ambac and other Bosch clones never had that issue.