• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How high can it go

BigWrench55

3.66 here in Texas. Still two bucks higher than when the mean tweeter was in charge. I picked a hell of a time to get out of the service truck and started using my own fuel. I don't even drive my pickup anymore. That would run me 400 a month. :mad:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Still over $4 gas here, drops to almost onto $3 ranges, then sneaks right back up. Diesel hovering just under $5

BigWrench55

I really don't pay attention to the price of fuel. Before got out of the service truck I didn't drive my pickup much. And the last fill up was before
Brandon was in office. It was in April of this year when I got out of the service truck and started driving my pickup. It still had a full tank. My first fill up after that tank I was floored. It was 75 dollars and the last time I filled it up before that was for 30. Now it is around 95 bucks. Since my wife quit her job I started driving her car to work. I get nearly two weeks driving back and forth on ten gallons. The pickup used 25 gallons in 5 days. I really feel for you owner operators out there. My service truck could burn through 35 gallons of diesel a day. I couldn't imagine the pain of doing that plus more everyday.

Vetech63

My service truck cost me $258 last week to fill up. Most weeks I’m filling up at least twice, sometimes 3 times a week. DEF is costing me around $35 every 5 fuel fills.

The last fill I remember before 2021 was $60 in the same truck and DEF fill up was $12.

My credit is running thin with all the cost increases over the last 2 years. My rates are going up because if I don’t pass the cost on it will bankrupt me before the end of the year.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I've started adding a separate line item in my estimates for a fuel surcharge. The surcharge is not on the bid as a line item but it's included in each scope of work. Needed a line item to adjust as fuel prices escalate then fall instead of changing our normal unit and hourly rates.

If fuel prices return to "normal" whatever that is I can adjust bids and still be competitive. For you wrenches I don't see any other way than either add a % surcharge or milage rates that reflect fuel costs. If you can't make a profit, you're not able to repair you customers machines.

Brutal times indeed.

Last edited:

muddog1975

My service truck cost me $258 last week to fill up. Most weeks I’m filling up at least twice, sometimes 3 times a week. DEF is costing me around $35 every 5 fuel fills.

The last fill I remember before 2021 was $60 in the same truck and DEF fill up was $12.

My credit is running thin with all the cost increases over the last 2 years. My rates are going up because if I don’t pass the cost on it will bankrupt me before the end of the year.
I'm in the same boat, spending around$200+ every fill up, plus DEF$35 +, and fuel for the welder$20+! Had to go up on hourly rate and travel mileage rate..... like you said it would bankrupt me to not pass the cost on. With all that, work has not slowed down...actually increased!

Truck Shop

Not that you guy's don't feel the pain, try fueling every 850 miles at $1,100 a whack. A year and a half
ago three of our drivers decided to make a jump to owner operator/lease to own. Right now they are
netting after expenses $500 every two weeks. All three are looking to return, one asked me before he
made the jump what I thought--{It's a good way to go broke}. To collect on freight charges with fuel
surcharge a company will receive it in the next accounts receivable cycle, so your hanging for a while.

Keith Merrell

I don't believe in fuel surcharges as a line item. Hourly rate needs to go up. The increased fuel cost is going to raise the prices of the parts we buy from the dealer for our machines, and then also the tires for the trucks we drive. When fuel prices come down I guarantee CAT is not going to be like, oh great lets sell our parts a little cheaper now that that crisis went away...

suladas

Not that you guy's don't feel the pain, try fueling every 850 miles at $1,100 a whack. A year and a half
ago three of our drivers decided to make a jump to owner operator/lease to own. Right now they are
netting after expenses $500 every two weeks. All three are looking to return, one asked me before he
made the jump what I thought--{It's a good way to go broke}. To collect on freight charges with fuel
surcharge a company will receive it in the next accounts receivable cycle, so your hanging for a while.

That's shitty to hear, but have to wonder why are they working for nothing? If enough of them getting paid too little parked their trucks and said nope then the rates would go up so they can make a decent living or at least force the company they are working for to take a cut out of their profit on the O/O, no one in their right mind would run their truck for so little. Why are the O/O getting paid that much less then a company truck though, I know the company takes a cut but it shouldn't be that big of portion. If they are netting that little, a company truck would be paying a driver like what 4 or 5 times that, and there is no way they are loosing that kind of money per truck.

Truck Shop

Why are the O/O getting paid that much less then a company truck though, I know the company takes a cut but it shouldn't be that big of portion. If they are netting that little,

By the time fuel, tires, any repairs, food, plus brokerage fees, permits, insurance, and being low man on
list-setting at docks waiting to load/unload which cuts into miles. There is not much left.
We run drop and hook-drivers don't set very long. Normally there is a preloaded trailer and down the
road they go. A break down and it's a wait at the back of the line at dealers. In this environment with
fuel prices the freight rate doesn't change as fast as the price of fuel. 6% brokerage in most cases.
Right now most companies are at break even point. So no one is cutting a fat hog, average cost per
mile was 1.60 now 2.40.

Old Doug

When i started hauling scrap to the city if i had $20.00 i could gas up and eat and have a little left over now $ 100.00 for gas and nothing to eat. I all so make more dollars now. Its like i heared alot when i was young it will take a wheelbarrow to carry enough money to buy a loaf of bread.

suladas

By the time fuel, tires, any repairs, food, plus brokerage fees, permits, insurance, and being low man on
list-setting at docks waiting to load/unload which cuts into miles. There is not much left.
We run drop and hook-drivers don't set very long. Normally there is a preloaded trailer and down the
road they go. A break down and it's a wait at the back of the line at dealers. In this environment with
fuel prices the freight rate doesn't change as fast as the price of fuel. 6% brokerage in most cases.
Right now most companies are at break even point. So no one is cutting a fat hog, average cost per
mile was 1.60 now 2.40.

Those are some good points in how a O/O would have higher expenses and less pay. But if it's that bad and companies are breaking even on their own trucks, they should be doing the same for a good O/O, making that little is insane, that's not even minimum wage. Can't see why they would do it though, with high truck prices sell it and go back to being an employee or do something different.

suladas

When i started hauling scrap to the city if i had $20.00 i could gas up and eat and have a little left over now $ 100.00 for gas and nothing to eat. I all so make more dollars now. Its like i heared alot when i was young it will take a wheelbarrow to carry enough money to buy a loaf of bread.

I took some scrap in today I couldn't believe how much I got, 2620lbs I got $197. I've never bothered doing it for demos, but now i'm going to at those kind of prices.

Truck Shop

Can't see why they would do it though, with high truck prices sell it and go back to being an employee or do something different.

That's why I said {A good way to go broke} We have several drivers that were OO's that dumped their rigs
some years back because it was tough. You might only drive 11 but your responsible for truck and load 24.
So the pay really isn't there on a hourly basis. When I drove years ago low end was .18 good was .23 a mile.
Those guys started a year before fuel went through the roof with not much in the bank for back up, the fuel
costs have wiped them out.

Trouble is there are hundreds of trucking companies across the nation that the fuel prices have cut into
their reserve cash for replacement trucks they will have to borrow to get anything new. And at break even
that's a tough row to hoe.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I took some scrap in today I couldn't believe how much I got, 2620lbs I got $197. I've never bothered doing it for demos, but now i'm going to at those kind of prices.

Is $.075 per LB worth it with todays fuel prices for that little of tonnage?

suladas

Scrap yard was only 10 minutes away, saved me about $100 in tonnage on disposal, and last bin was filled to the very brim so in this case it make sense to make a quick trip with the dump truck. It won't make sense on most homes, but these were mobile homes and that weight was only the frame so for them in the future I am definitely going to start sorting all the metal and taking it or getting a bin for it. It's only $160 a bin, don't need a lot of metal to break even or make a bit on it.

Old Doug

He did better than i did on my last load and i had to haul it all most 40 miles one way. I had all most 2 times as much. I got .05. I am not all that green but i will go out of my way to see some thing not go to a land fill. I could be wrong and i often am but every day 90% of us send some kind of metals to the land fill will this cause a shortage some day ?