• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How high can it go

Delmer

... every day 90% of us send some kind of metals to the land fill will this cause a shortage some day ?
Maybe, maybe not. There's no shortage of iron or aluminum ores. Aluminum metal is valuable to recycle because it's so easy to recycle, and uses so much energy to produce from ore. Iron does not take an exorbitant amount of energy to produce from ore and it can be produced with coal instead of electricity. However, if we get steep carbon taxes, that will drive up scrap iron prices because recycling iron saves lots of carbon use.

Even copper, which is much more rare than aluminum or iron, is needed mostly for electrical purposes. While we're not getting rid of electrical equipment, the biggering and biggering of electrical consumption may end soon in the developed world (less heavy industry, and residential 200AMP services look a little funny with LED bulbs and other tech), and there's some evidence that the developing world will leapfrog most rural electrification. The economics of copper certainly don't justify $140 rolls of 14/2 romex.

So, yes I throw way too little bits of metal into the scrap pile, but logically it doesn't make sense unless it pays. If we need it sometime, the stuff in the landfill will still be there.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
So, yes I throw way too little bits of metal into the scrap pile, but logically it doesn't make sense unless it pays. If we need it sometime, the stuff in the landfill will still be there.

Agreed. Landfill mining is an emerging business. From what I've read it's more about gaining more air space instead of metal extraction but the metals are a side revenue stream.

suladas

Here very little just gets buried now, they sort everything. Chip the wood, sort the steel to sell, grind shingles, etc.

Today finishing the demo I found something even more worthwhile 5 $100 bills. Never found any money on a demo before. I didn't get it all either as I found a corner of another one that wasn't a piece out of any others I found.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Just changed the oil on the Goldwing. Filter and 4 quarts of cheap oil were $46.50. When I got the bike it would cost about $12.00 for the same thing.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Agreed. Landfill mining is an emerging business. From what I've read it's more about gaining more air space instead of metal extraction but the metals are a side revenue stream.
I pulled "25" 4' x 6' x 4' to 6' railroad ties last I was dumping in the landfill. Each time I wonder over to tear down section and go shopping.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Here very little just gets buried now, they sort everything. Chip the wood, sort the steel to sell, grind shingles, etc.

Nah - we landfill it all.:p

C&D gate rate is $25-30 a ton with several landfills to take it too so it doesn't make $$ sense to sort anything but metal to the shredders and the hardcore materials that are non-regulated beneficial fill like cured asphalt, un-painted brick, un-painted block, concrete, rock, brush and stumps. These non-regulated items can be dumped anywhere so it's worth it to sort that material and save the $25-30 a ton to dispose in C&D pit.

Vulcan Materials as well as few private crushing yards accept concrete not sure if they charge a tipping fee or not as we have our own dump.

chidog

Back some years ago things like lawn mowers all sizes were just tossed in dumpsters, along with some brand new tools, all sorts. I'm guessing they just ended up in a land fill some place.

suladas

Nah - we landfill it all.:p

C&D gate rate is $25-30 a ton with several landfills to take it too so it doesn't make $$ sense to sort anything but metal to the shredders and the hardcore materials that are non-regulated beneficial fill like cured asphalt, un-painted brick, un-painted block, concrete, rock, brush and stumps. These non-regulated items can be dumped anywhere so it's worth it to sort that material and save the $25-30 a ton to dispose in C&D pit.

Vulcan Materials as well as few private crushing yards accept concrete not sure if they charge a tipping fee or not as we have our own dump.

I'm jealous, those kind of rates would be so nice. For these mobile homes for example spend so much time cleaning up the little crap as putting any dirt in the bins adds up quick, but at those rates it would be cheaper to scrape it and if you have a few tons of dirt no biggie at all.

John C.

Occupation
You are implying that the price of gas is the fault of politicians using a slang term for the current president. In truth, no politician wants high fuel costs and all do anything they can, which isn't much, to keep those prices low.

BigWrench55

That is not what I am saying. I am merely pointing out when I filled up my tank last. That is how I chose to give a reference of the time frame. If you don't like how I phrase it. Then read on like everyone else has. If you are still butt hurt. Then report the problem and have me banned.

John C.

Occupation
Don't have to report it. You will take care of it yourself.

muddog1975

You are implying that the price of gas is the fault of politicians using a slang term for the current president. In truth, no politician wants high fuel costs and all do anything they can, which isn't much, to keep those prices low.
You don't really belive that....or are you just trying to keep folks stirred up? Goverment has major Pipelines shut down...drilling permits not allowed....land leases for drilling on government lands not allowed....these are all facts to be verified....EPA regulations and forced/ failed green energy policies....who exactly is responsible for theses things? Please check it out....and educate yourself and your friends....please.

suladas

Disagree. They want gas prices high to make the alternatives more attractive and seem like they are actually a decent option. If there was no rebates for EV's and gas prices were back to normal how many people would care about wanting an EV? I bet there wouldn't even be 5% of what there is on the road.

terex herder

There are a very vocal group of people who hate everything about oil, gas, and coal. They helped put the current occupant in the white house. Said person's political future depends an returning the favor to said vocal groups.

I will disagree with John C about politicians not wanting high fuel prices. Just look at the tax proposals on fuel to force drivers into electrics, because electrics are the darling de jour. There are many other policies from the last 18 months that have driven up the price of fuel, including revoking the keystone xl permit.

The occupant in the white house leads a group that would prefer most of the readers of this forum would be waiter's at Starbucks, as all their food comes from the grocery store, their homes come from home depot, and bulldozers just destroy the environment.

cosmaar1

From 2015-2018 I worked for a client installing non ferrous recycling systems at two different locations. They had onsite landfills that had left over shredder waste and the plan was to mine the landfills and recover all of the metals that had been disposed of. There is a huge business in this type of recycling, but the problem is, in 2018 China tightened their imports on this material to the point that the US could not ship the products over. This pretty much has killed the overseas market which makes the landfill mining too expensive.

muddog1975

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220729-002001_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220729-002001_Google.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20220729-002001_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220729-002001_Google.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20220729-002424_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220729-002424_Chrome.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20220729-002752_Chrome.jpg