• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How far can an excavator be driven

Oldcatpusher

When I hold down my button to change my auxiliary hydraulics to hammer mode it won't ever change out of crusher. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• 20190816_092420.jpg
    20190816_092420.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36

Puffie40

So no need to get it moving on a truck to our property next door? It's about 7-8 miles and the cost of moving it is as much as the material for the fence we want to install there as well.

Unless there is a road in the middle of that trip, there is no need for a truck. Just make sure the finals have good oil in them, check your hydraulic fluids, and clatter on over!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The quality of Cat excavators now days is on par with the second tier producers. There is little difference between a Cat and a Link-Belt or a Kobelco. Just because they are popular doesn't equate to their quality of design or workmanship.

skyking1

yes he's a spammer. Not adding anything of substance to a discussion? check.
Posts a link? check.
I've walked a 345 about 6 miles in Mt. Rainier Park on the (closed) Stevens Canyon road.
Did not get warm hydro or the finals to the touch.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
The quality of Cat excavators now days is on par with the second tier producers. There is little difference between a Cat and a Link-Belt or a Kobelco. Just because they are popular doesn't equate to their quality of design or workmanship.
And that goes all the way back to the 2 series, they were a POS as well.

skyking1

yup I loved how a 235 or 245 would sidewind up the road with a weak track motor. Doing a bucket turn with one, you looked pretty damn spastic up there with one knee on the stupid stick, 1 foot on the pedal.

Compression-Ignition

I'm thinking about a larger mini-ex or a smaller small-excavator (CAT). I'll be using it exclusively on a property I'm hoping to purchase soon. At some point I may end up needing to travel a half mile or mile a day on the property. From what I've read here this is not a real problem if I travel with the machine pointed in the correct orientation, check the fluids, and pay attention to heat in the finals.

About right? Any admonitions?

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
An investment in a tractor trailer may be a good financial choice.
Kind regards
Uffex

suladas

I'm thinking about a larger mini-ex or a smaller small-excavator (CAT). I'll be using it exclusively on a property I'm hoping to purchase soon. At some point I may end up needing to travel a half mile or mile a day on the property. From what I've read here this is not a real problem if I travel with the machine pointed in the correct orientation, check the fluids, and pay attention to heat in the finals.

About right? Any admonitions?

Traveling a mile is not a problem, traveling it everyday is not going to destroy the machine it's just going to wear out the undercarriage really quickly. Something to move it on would be better, or what is the reason for moving so much? Is the work changing that much or just not wanting to leave it some place at the end of the day? I would go to the machine and leave it where it's working as much as possible, even if it's a weather issue in the winter a diesel heater would be much more cost effective over the long term then tracking it that far everyday.

Compression-Ignition

Traveling a mile is not a problem, traveling it everyday is not going to destroy the machine it's just going to wear out the undercarriage really quickly. Something to move it on would be better, or what is the reason for moving so much? Is the work changing that much or just not wanting to leave it some place at the end of the day? I would go to the machine and leave it where it's working as much as possible, even if it's a weather issue in the winter a diesel heater would be much more cost effective over the long term then tracking it that far everyday.
I need to take down quite a few trees as part of getting a road to the home site. At some point I will have to move them to a corner of the property and I'd have to take the machine from wherever it is to the spot where I am dumping them with the dump trailer to stack them. I can get away with just dumping them for a time, but eventually they will become sprawled out and less manageable. So I would have to track from wherever I'm working down to the stack area at some unknown interval.

I am looking at a big backhoe for this work as well.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Tracking a mile or so isn't a biggie at all apart from accelerated track wear. Changing the planetary oil at the same intervals as the engine service is a effective way of ensuring longevity.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
With the travel required and multi purpose needs at hand, perhaps the backhoe with a thumb and a grapple bucket would be the best option. I am assuming these trees are not super large since you are going to put them in a dump trailer. Renting an excavator for knocking the trees down and put them in piles that are convenient to do with an excavator, might be an option. After you have a bunch of piles of trees, use the BH with the grapple bucket to transport them where you need them. Unless you have other plans for the excavator beyond this, I am not sure owning one for this purpose is worth the expense, especially as expensive equipment is right now. A 590/410 sized BH could likely get the majority of work done, perhaps not as fast as some other methods, but your working for yourself and perhaps in this case a "jack of all trades and master of none" might make the most economic sense. Having a large CTL, equipped with a grapple, may make sense as well.

Compression-Ignition

With the travel required and multi purpose needs at hand, perhaps the backhoe with a thumb and a grapple bucket would be the best option. I am assuming these trees are not super large since you are going to put them in a dump trailer. Renting an excavator for knocking the trees down and put them in piles that are convenient to do with an excavator, might be an option. After you have a bunch of piles of trees, use the BH with the grapple bucket to transport them where you need them. Unless you have other plans for the excavator beyond this, I am not sure owning one for this purpose is worth the expense, especially as expensive equipment is right now. A 590/410 sized BH could likely get the majority of work done, perhaps not as fast as some other methods, but your working for yourself and perhaps in this case a "jack of all trades and master of none" might make the most economic sense. Having a large CTL, equipped with a grapple, may make sense as well.
After cutting them down to size. I have an 8x16' deckover dump that has pretty amazing ground clearance. I can't stand the thought of renting something. Every time I do I end up wishing I'd a just bought the dang thing instead. I think a CTL will do for me much later down the road after the property is basically where I want it. The backhoe does kinda make the most sense, depending on how you're looking at the whole thing.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I agree that renting sucks, but especially for a homeowner project, it tends to make the most sense. Rent the ex if you need it (and maybe you wont), but put more money in the backhoe which you intend to keep.

Phantom970

Occupation
Serial Pest
It won’t be an issue now, tomorrow or every other day you do it. I rattle the Kobelco around all the time in fast mode, in irrigation works and it probably has one of the worst (weakest) finals in the industry.

just check your oil colour every engine oil change and if it’s starting to go brown or black change it.

for piece of mind you could flick between fast and slow, this will only change your finals operating temperature. It won’t affect track or roller wear.

A mate walks his 330B CAT all the time further than that on a daily basis. Has all its 26k hr life. Never had a finals problem ever.
Often you just can’t use the truck for what ever reasons...........