• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How far can an excavator be driven

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
A couple of points may be worth a thought check the crawler transmissions for lube make a good inspection of the undercarriage may save a breakdown along the way, in real terms it could be less costly to put the machine on a trailer.
Kind regards
Uffex

CatKC

I need to move my 200D. How far do you drive an excavator? I need to go 1.5 miles.

On my farm I go that far all the time, that's the only way I can get my Cat to where I need it. I don't like to leave it out in the weather so I bring it back to shed it. My only suggestion would be to check for 'hot rollers' (especially in Rabbit) when you stop.
Of course if you're 'not in a hurry', it's better to run in Turtle (slow) mode.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It's an excavator. It doesn't matter which way the boom is pointing does it?

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Standing by with popcorn and a drink. Waiting to see the outcome of forward VS reverse travel debate. LOL.:D

PS I travel both ways over .5 to 1 mile occasionally. Wear out both sides of sprockets and pins evenly. In the end I don't thing it really matters in my opinion.

Shimmy1

CM1995 is correct on the direction. It makes a big difference on wear on the sprockets and track bushings.
I'm curious if you have any real life examples where there is a substantial, measurable difference in life of the spockets and bushings, and what the actual difference in hours is. For example, two identical machines doing the same work, only one always spun his tracks around to travel forward for any measurable distance, and the other just went with the flow. Not disputing at all that you get more wear in reverse, I'm just also in the camp that doesn't think it matters as much on an excavator as a dozer. If you are consistently walking the machine several hundred yards or more in one direction on a daily basis, then I'd say yes, you should be keeping the idlers pointed the way you're going, if practical.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
On a machine working in a mine or in many cases putting in utilities, the chains will be shot before the bushings. The links will spread on the pins. However the point of the thread is in how far can you travel. Out here we have turned excavators into logging shovels and the logging shovels have become skidders. Logging shovels do those miles each day and many times in some real steep terrain. I've had to get to some where walking was pretty tough. It won't take long going up and down those hills the wrong way to see the effects of reverse travel bushing wear.
Going up hills with the sprockets in front of you will pull the chains tight over the top of the track frames and try to compress the front idler spring. If you punch into a stump sliding down hill it will compress the spring and the track will go slack on the sprocket and the chain can free wheel over several teeth before catching. Makes for a funny sound and a white faced operator the first time they have it happen. If the spring is weak in the first place, the spring will compress and the chain will jump the sprocket also.
No one here really cares about the top rollers anymore. They can be changed in minutes and don't cost much anyway. On the logging shovels they use bottom rollers for top rollers and those take a little longer to change.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Plus it easer to push the pedals forward with the front of your foot for 1.5 miles instead of using your heals.:D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Lol. So you're saying you've *never* backed up a bit by using your toes to push the pedals rearward for reverse?? I know I have, and it's much easier than using your heels. ;)

Of course but not for 1.5 miles.:rolleyes:

The cab on the 325FL is so darn roomy you could stretch out and prop your feet up to go in reverse - not so much so in the 321DL.:p

Last edited: