• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hit a rock with this!!!

cummins05

I have a bit of seat time in this They work great for trimming after a larger cat has bulked out before hand.

They spread top soil like a dream you can also gravel a lease road very quick and lay in out very consistant.
They also push snow well and move from lease to lease very fast

BigIron25

Maybe im an idiot, but basically the only thing this is good for is #1 to replace a grader (since i dont imagine this thing takes any considerable cuts at high speeds or at slow speeds with that rubber track set up) and #2 for use with a gps guidance system. I cant imagine someone manually making the small adjustments of the blade at those speeds to make accurate cuts and fills. I have never operated a dozer with rubber tracks though so ill admit i could be way out in left field

Randy88

They had one at the LICA show in Iowa a couple of years ago, I had a little seat time in it, its different, they were advertising it as a high speed finish dozer, coupled with gps and automatics it did work fine leveling off dirt and making a final pass to clean stuff up. Not sure who has enough of that perticular kind of work to justify it, but aside from that if did a good job for what it was intended for. No I have no intentions of owning one but its just JD's way to expand into another area and test the waters, can't say its right or wrong, just different.

The sales rep those days was talking it up for dirt work, not rock or anything hard, basically everyone was using it to do high speed clean up behind larger dozers and finish work, the rep claimed they were targeting the road crew type final grading instead of a slower dozer they would use this to do a lot higher speed final pass and use gps to control it and get millimeter accuracy at high speed. I don't do anything like that so don't shoot the messanger here but thats what we were told, if he was full of bs then so be it, but thats the sales line he was using, just stating a fact of how it was explained to us there.

The question was asked about pulling pans and he said thats not its intended purpose but might be able to do some of it with a small pan, again I don't do that kind of work so I don't know anything about that. They even used it to level the haul raods and keep them smoother and did it at high speed.

I'd say the consensus there was it was different and left a lot of people wondering, just like on here but then again there has been a lot of machines over the years invented that did the same thing when introduced and some caught on big, others a dismall failure, only time will tell, but I do know none went home with anyone there those days after they demo'ed it.

I overheard some farmers talking and they were impressed with in, those guys used rubber tracked tractors and were coming up with a list of uses I'd never thought of and they were very impressed from the sounds of it, they were asking questions about all sorts of options and possibilities. most dirt workers left scratching their heads and didn't say much other than "well that was different" just like me.

What its exactly used for or will find a nitche for I don't know other than it'll probably never be used in my operation and I moved on. I know this has been a hot button for a lot of people and I'm not sure why, it was at the field day there too, other than something totally different I guess it made no difference to me, I'd actually forgot about it until it keeps coming up here and gets beat to death each time.

casecx700

well i think that it has its purpose but i think what it would be realy good for is plowing snow if it had the right blade on it and like what alot of other people have been saying cleaning up after other eqwipment or larger dozers but i have not seen one here in arizona probaly because of the hard ground and the rock

Blacksmoke07

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Looks like fun to play i know that much, other than that....probly the best application i can see, is to maintain long haul roads that dont have to much hidden rock though.. :haha:

vapor300

Much cheaper to run then a 6 and can proably finish a long slope faster then a 6 as long as there isnt a heavy cut on it, we had to put 8 inches of top soil on 20 miles of slopes, i think thats where this thing would be awesome at. It has purpose, if you havent even been around one how do u say there worthless???

alco

It has purpose, if you havent even been around one how do u say there worthless???

I don't know how they do it, but there seems to be a rather large number of people on here who can do just that.....go figure.

Blacksmoke07

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
After lookin at a few more videos, cause the machine does look cool it sparked my interest, it does seem to be a pretty versitile machine and looks to be useful in alot of applications. I would like to give one a try, why not? One thing i see that i probably wouldnt like would be the steering wheel as the steer mechanism. About two summers ago i spent a few months in a 815F which has a steering wheel steer, and every day i thought about how much more effective i and the machine could be if i had the joystick control steer, and how much better my shoulder would feel thenext morning, but like dozers, and larger loaders. I dont know if they (manufactures) do, but they should offer the option of one or the other. Also i bet the fully automated GPS system would work pretty well with this high speed machine...

alco

Blacksmoke, the steering wheel appears to be for high speed travel such as roading the machine. There is a joystick for steering, which I would figure would be for the lower speed work like dozing and whatnot. With every loader I have run, I've always found the joystick is usually a bit too touchy for roading the machine comfortably. I like having the option of either one to use as I want.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
After lookin at a few more videos, cause the machine does look cool it sparked my interest, it does seem to be a pretty versitile machine and looks to be useful in alot of applications. I would like to give one a try, why not? One thing i see that i probably wouldnt like would be the steering wheel as the steer mechanism. About two summers ago i spent a few months in a 815F which has a steering wheel steer, and every day i thought about how much more effective i and the machine could be if i had the joystick control steer, and how much better my shoulder would feel thenext morning, but like dozers, and larger loaders. I dont know if they (manufactures) do, but they should offer the option of one or the other. Also i bet the fully automated GPS system would work pretty well with this high speed machine...

Could just be cause that was an old tired worn out 815, but I do think stick steer could be a great option at times. The halfmoon command steering wheels our 980's have aren't bad, but they can be just as touchy as the joysticks.

Blacksmoke07

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Yea i know what ur sayin alco, didnt see that left hand joystick. And yea i know what u mean jim and ran that H a couple times when i was down at Elk Mills and it was a bit touchy at faster speeds

grunk36

Occupation
trainer/technical support with TRIMBLE/SITECH denm
Much cheaper to run then a 6 and can proably finish a long slope faster then a 6 as long as there isnt a heavy cut on it, we had to put 8 inches of top soil on 20 miles of slopes, i think thats where this thing would be awesome at. It has purpose, if you havent even been around one how do u say there worthless???
if the tracks on this thing is just as bad as the ones on a quad it will ruin you before it has runned 400 hours i had a buddy renting a quad and all 4 tracks had to be replaced once every 800-100 hours!!! personally i dont think they would be worth anything except for maintaining haul roads
for golf course work ??? no f...... way i am a golf course shaper and wouldnt trade my dozer for this

Deereman

Sounds like a bunch of closed minded people. Like some of you have said, get on one then you might be thinking of all the other things you can do with it. Just like any other piece of equipment. It can only so much. Get on one. It might suprise you. Its just like CTL's'/skids first came out. Now look at them. Give deere a few years to get them out there and to fine tune them.

Blacksmoke07

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Seems like alot of machine...alot of parts i guess? compared to a dozer...

vapor300

Yes the tracks on the old quads were bad, but they were also pullin pans, thats alot of stress on the tracks and boogie wheels, this thing is just made to make light cuts totally differnt i think you will see alot of track life out of this machine!

Kman9090

if the tracks on this thing is just as bad as the ones on a quad it will ruin you before it has runned 400 hours i had a buddy renting a quad and all 4 tracks had to be replaced once every 800-100 hours!!! personally i dont think they would be worth anything except for maintaining haul roads
for golf course work ??? no f...... way i am a golf course shaper and wouldnt trade my dozer for this

It depends on what year quad, they came out with a different sprocket design in 2006 I believe. I put 2500 hours on one with no problems. Pulling pans is a little more stressful then fine grading.