• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hit a rock with this!!!

vapor300

What kind of pan work were they doing and what series quads were they? Quads will beat any other type of pan scraper if the soil is wet. By chnce the quads that you seen were working in one of Peabodys coal mines in Linton IN?

motrack

Charter Member
Occupation
field service tech
Contractors around Indy tried Quads for pan work and gave up on them. I dident think Peabody was so stupid as to operate Quads and pans.

Their equipment manager must have really fell the that salesmans line of BS.

vapor300

The company i worked for put in a train line for peabody and we used 8 quads and 4 john deeres, and the mine let us use there 5230 and 777's.

But like i said quads are the cats meow when you get in mud, thats why are company has a few of them, a quad 450 pulling 2 reynolds pans will go threw some pretty impressive stuff, with one pan they will go anywhere 6lgp will go. Thats why im curios to see how well this thing does in the mud, id imagine its lighter then a 6, and you have 4 tracks spining instead of just 2.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
I doubt that I will see anything like them here in the Northwest, but on a job last summer, we were paralleling the local interstate in Illinois and saw several similar pieces of equipment being used on two interchanges. Mostly what appeared to be actual farm equipment modified. Possibly in a local shop. With what appears to have been zero rock of any sort in the area they looked like they were just right for the task. I would think within their parameters, they would be much more cost effective to operate and maintain. (We were traveling down the RR tracks at 10 mph and could not stop to really snoop.)

jwar100

Occupation
Dirt contractor
Just buy a tractor and boxblade. What a joke, or better yet just run the old grader in its place.

vapor300

Cause a blade cant get threw mud as easy as this thing can, and id imagine that it cost alot more to run a blade then it would cost to run this dozer, A box blade LOL? Really?

This thing would come in handy in certain scenarios, ill know more about them this summer.

jkiser96

Occupation
Concrete truck driver / business owner
They had one sitting along I-70 this fall at Mt. comfort road. I seen it sitting more than anything.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
alco, the simple fact of life around where I am is that "you work in the rock." Not "you will work in the rock, you work in the rock" because we have a lot of rock around here. Pure, plain and simple. Can't justify that much money for that kind of a machine with its limited capabilities.

Besides, don't buy deere here, buy Cat.

54j

you see 'em here in oz in broadacre farming pulling implements those and the challengers

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
you see 'em here in oz in broadacre farming pulling implements those and the challengers

No you don't 54j, you are confusing the John Deere High Speed dozer with the Case quad track, they are two entirely different machines designed for entirely different operations. That John Deere is designed as a trimming dozer whereas the Case quad track is purely an agricultural tractor designed for pulling implements.

By the way, welcome to HEF, I'm sure you will enjoy your time here.

RnR.

Last edited:

alco

alco, the simple fact of life around where I am is that "you work in the rock." Not "you will work in the rock, you work in the rock" because we have a lot of rock around here. Pure, plain and simple. Can't justify that much money for that kind of a machine with its limited capabilities.

Besides, don't buy deere here, buy Cat.

It's a machine designed to work at trim and finish grading, light dozing, and other utility work. I don't think anybody has ever claimed it is a machine meant to work in rock. Sure, it may not work for what you have in mind, but that hardly makes it the POS that you keep claiming it is. That's all I'm trying to get across. I personally can think of many jobs it could do, and do very well.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have my personal opinions of this machine and it's just that, MY personal opinion. For me the numbers would never work out. However I am sure the folks over at Deere didn't just dream this up to make a hot topic on HE boards...:cool2

That being said, I don't understand why this particular machine has brought so much contention between people here at HEF. Let's state our opinions on the machine, maybe some first hand experience from a little seat time for those that have it and discuss the machine itself.

We all know that operating conditions are as varied as the types of earth moving machines produced - for a reason.;)

alco

The story I have been told is that Deere formed a focus group of customers and asked them what they wanted to see in a machine, and this is what they came up with. I figure, if the customers were asking for it, it will get used. Like I said, I have seen a quite a few situations where this machine would come in very handy. It's a utility machine, not a production dozer.

Johnny English

Occupation
Contracts manager, Civil Engineering contractor
Its a bit like the rubber duck of the excavator world, its not everyones cup of tea, but I'm sure it has plenty of potential for moving from one site to another without a lowloader, can move from one side of a carriage way to another with no fuss, snow ploughing etc, any application where you don't want steel grousers onto tarmac at some point.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
alco, I am not saying it is a POS. It is just a total mismatch for everything that I do here and for a lot of other small contractors like myself around here. There is no way I could justify that much money tied up in a speciality machine like this for the kind of these things I do. That is also the same case for a lot of other people. The things it appears to be capable of doing around here get done with a conventional dozer which is placing imported fill coming from on site borrow pits. It is all limestone and limestone shale for the most part. When gravel is placed it is small conventional dozer, grader and track type skid steer for cleanup. People like myself don't buy specialized machines for limited applications.

Sooner or later someone some where is going to put it where it does not belong trying to do something it was not intended for. That is a simple fact of life. Than the screaming and yelling about track life and the other short falls for that application will start to come out.

vapor300

The outfit i work for must like them, think we have 10 of them, and we wouldnt be buying them if they didnt come in handy!

And really there are a bunch of applications that i can think of that this machine would come in handy, and would be more cost effencent then using a blade or a 6? And i bet this machine is alot cheaper to run then a blade or 6 also, and in some applications can take the job of a 6 and a blade.