• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help Identifying a kubota motor

bill onthehill

Trying to find the model of this motor. It appears to be a Kubota v2203 series but have not found a model or serial # on it. It came from a Carrier Transi-cold reefer trailer and we are fitting it up to run a corn grinder/mixer. It has a cast# above where the starter would go. The # is 2.197 with a symbol that looks like a fish after it. I take this to be liters and that is how I tracked it to a 134.1 c.i. Kubota. The newer engines on the Kubota site are very similar to this but I cant find any finite # on the motor and nowhere does it say Kubota. It is a 4 cyl. Na with an auxillary oil filter setup with twin filters. Any help appreciated. Bill

Attachments

• engine 008.jpg
    engine 008.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 7,317
  • engine 009.jpg
    engine 009.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 5,855
  • engine 010.jpg
    engine 010.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 3,375

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hi Bill, look very closely at flat places around the injection pump. Can't say for certain, but I'm thinking Kubota stamped numbers in that area. Might have to do a little brushing/cleaning to find them.

bill onthehill

We are hitting it with a pressure washer tomorrow hence the cans and bottles on a few openings. Found a radiator at the local scrapyard and the search is on for a fan to fit on the upper pulley. It has a 28 mm center and a 50mm bolt circle.
I am helping out a local Amish farmer whose boys cut my wood for me. Most of it should be pretty straight forward as far as wiring it up and fuel supply. I want to keep the high temp/low oil shutdown system if possible. Unfortunately he did not contact me until he had it disassembled to this point. I am planning on a toggle switch on/ off for the shutdown control and a pushbutton for the starter. It came with a dual oil filter and dual fuel filter setup so I want to use those as well.

bill onthehill

Thanks Atco we cleaned it down and found it stamped right under the block where the lines come off the injector pump. I am amazed it does not say Kubota anywhere.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That sure looks like an Isuzu engine to me. I don't recall the glow plug bar on the Kubota engines and I know the Isuzu engines all have that.

I'd be curious as to the numbers you found.

bill onthehill

Hi John. It is a kubota and the number is V2203-2329. That said, I have had no luck with kubota as they claim they only have records back to 1991. A look at their website show the same engine with a few changes. After waiting 2 days for engineering to find any fans we are going to make an adapter for a Chevy flex fan. Kubota has a very tight network for parts and even though they show a fan on the engines they are no help without a number for the part. Napa will have the fan and new baldwin filters today. Bobcat and others that use this same motor use a hydraulic fan of their own design.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Just a thought ? ....I converted a VW Diesel Rabbit engine to use in my portable bandsaw mill ..... because Vw uses a radiator that sits perpendicular to the engine (parallel) because of it being a front wheel drive vehicle, it also makes the install very compact .... anyhow the fan is an electric 12V thermostatically controlled (fan-stat) one and it is simple to install, trouble free, not hp robbing ... but having said all of this the parts can be had cheap from surplus stores or even an auto store like NAPA ....it has now been in service for 8 yrs ......as I said just a thought

Last edited:

bill onthehill

Well I am helping an Amish guy and he wants it like his John Deere that run his silage chopper. I don't think it will be an issue power wise as this thing is supposed to push 48 horses. He also did not want a plastic radiator so i found one from a Dodge Dakota in pretty good shape. We should have it going early this week. I will get some more pics when it is running.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Ya I know what you mean about the plastic rads ....mine is with metal end caps ... as I mentioned before, just a thought to use an electric driven fan might make an install easier .... I guess where you guys are you don't have to worry about over cooling a diesel engine, cause the use is maybe only in summer time .... I use mine in the fall/winter seasons as well .... even when it is hot (in summer) around 80-90F the fan on my mill only cuts in maybe 2or3 times an hour for 5 mins .... it to doesn't have to work very hard .... but as I said about over cooling it can hurt the diesel not getting up to operating temp.... hope it all works out for you ...just my $.02 idea worked awesome for me

Last edited:

Diezel

Hey bill, i have one of the same engines and have been struggling to find any information on it at all. I recently tore it down to hone the cylinders and i can't find the torque specifications anywhere and i was wondering if you would know where i could find them?