• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help buying a tag trailer

superdigger

I thought I had updated this thread about this but I guess I didn't... I actually ordered a pj trailer yesterday, hopefully kssss isn't right...:) they seam to me to be the only ones around other then gatormade that has any interest in selling me a trailer. Maybe because I'm looking for a odd trailer weight and length? Not sure but from what I've seen and heard about pj (other then kssss) they seam to make pretty good trailers. I ended up ordering a 30' with 2 12,000lb dexter axels. Hopefully it serves me well!

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Craft, if you look back in this thread I posted about them. I called them and they passed me on to some welding shop as soon as I told them what I was looking for. Guessing they don't make those kind of trailers anymore?? But thanks for the tip!

Sorry about that !....:confused:..... must of missed that....:eek: ....... by chance did you check out Snake River Trailers ? ..... I just bought one 2 weeks ago it's a 12 ton tandem dually gooseneck 20'+5'.... I was down to 3 brands, the one I bought:thumbsup, Big-Tex and Trail Tech (made in Saskabush):canada ....it came down to the most responceable reputable dealer ..... woulda bought the Trail Tech but they had no stock and an 8-12 week delivery:cool2 ...out here we did not hear anything great 'bout the PJ's .... a few complaints and a few don't go there kinda stuff ..... alot had to do with the dealer I suspect.

Am SUPER Happy with the choice I made .... works great ..... How long before you get to see yours ?? ....... cheers for now

xcmark

Occupation
construction
hauling trailer with a med / heavy duty truck requires a trailer with a HUGE frame like Ksss has pictured. If you dont get the overbuilt type trailer like a trail king your going to find it will bend the frame when it loaded heavy on the draw bar. There is way to many 10K ~ 17,000 lb trailers used forsale that have welds on the draw bar area from pulling it with a heavy duty truck that can deal with 8000 lbs put on the back of the frame and bend or flex the trailer to the point where it cracks in high stress area. Thats why when you look at trailers look at the axel placement if they in the middle chances are the trailer is designed to handle lighter loads and be pulled with light or med duty trucks.

I have a 6 ton eager beaver that I pull with a 2500 hd, its bulit like it could handle 8 ton if the truck could carry more on the draw bar. I has a 8" I beam construction that you dont find in lighter trailers. Trail king or eager beaver make high end very well built units , towmaster is a good choice but not as heavy construction. If possible I would look into a trailer that has 17.5" tires , yes it going to be slightly more money but the tires in the 16" class ALL SUCK. None of them are really any good that are built in china , they all have blow outs when they are run at the side wall rateings. 17.5 tires are truck tires and will hold up.

Last edited:

superdigger

Here is a picture PJ sent me so I could see what the trailer would look like. This is a 25' unit, mine is a 30'. Due to the extra 5' they use a larger Ibeam 19lb if i remember right, frame bridging is also standard on any trailer longer then 25'.
photo2.jpgphoto3.jpg
Hopefully it is a good trailer....

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
looks real nice. Can i ask price. I too am in the market for a heavy duty trailer and No seems to respond. WTF is with these trailer people ?

superdigger

trailer was right around $13,000+tax I guess trailer companies are doing really well and dont want to sell anymore.... I couldnt beleive it either, PJ was the only one that seemed interested. Now I just hope that the trailer is a good one...